Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Crimean War Russian infantry in greatcoats: set 025 - re-release or re-model?

I'm wondering if there are any plans for Strelets to re-release or, better still, re-model and release, set 025 Russian Crimean infantry?

Most of the figures for the Crimean War in 1/72 plastic have been made by Strelets (noting some commendable sets also by Emhar, although in a different sculpting style), and most of these are still readily available, at least in the UK (check the Hannants website).

I ask this because, some time ago I collected a few sets to paint up and then, by the nature of things, collected some more, so now have representative armies for the British and Russian combatants. My Russian infantry are almost all set 039, Russian Grenadiers, which - if you have enough sets to mix and match poses - provides for some quite lively and animated wargames units which paint up well and look pretty good.

However, what I am lacking is Russian infantry in greatcoats and, preferably, in caps rather than helmets.

I note also that set 025 was one of the early Crimean sets (2004?) and is a little on the small side (22mm) compared with some the later figures in this range, and features some poses which are awkward to integrate into units. The sculptor who has been working on the excellently-sculpted WoSS infantry figures would make a fine job of a new set of Crimean Russian infantry.

Re: Crimean War Russian infantry in greatcoats: set 025 - re-release or re-model?

Dear Mark,

I hope that you don't mind me 'jumping in' on this, but it is a related request: M011 Russian Infantry (Winter Dress) is no longer available either.

I suspect that the moulds/masters for these are no longer serviceable (probably the same for 025 that you are enquiring after). We have the recent addition of 219 Russian Infantry in Overcoats Order Arms, so it would be marvellous if Strelets could produce a set of Russians in greatcoats in more 'action' poses to replace M011... please!

Regards, James

Re: Crimean War Russian infantry in greatcoats: set 025 - re-release or re-model?

Hi James,

Agreed!! And I would very much like to buy a few sets of M011 as well, if these were available.

With the Strelets Crimean series it is apparent that, while almost all of the sets (including I think all of the cavalry sets) are still available via the major on-line retailers, the troops that we need most of for this conflict ie: line infantry, sold out some time ago. The only Russian infantry set available is, I think, the Grenadiers (in summer uniform) and I believe that the British line infantry set is also difficult to find....and, like set 025, could do with a re-design and re-tooling anyway.

It is therefore difficult to develop a balanced army, and even recourse to e-bay or the second hand market only yields the odd set or two; so, not enough sets, and usually at inflated prices.

An appeal therefore to Strelets: Please consider this not only from the point of view of collectors, who may simply buy one or two sets of each; but also from wargamers, who need lots of the main troop type, which is most often a generic line infantry set. If that main troop type can no longer be produced - as in the case of the sets mentioned here by James and myself - because the moulds are no longer in use, please consider a replacement set.

This would be a smart approach to keeping customers even happier. We are, I should add, usually happy anyway, but....:smiley:

Thanks, Minuteman

I agree tihw you .We need new Russian Crimean infantry - small sets.
In winter coats and summer dress !!!

Dear Minuteman,

moulds for this set have been re-cycled.
At the moment we don't have plans to return to the CW.
Please, be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets

Strelets-R
Dear Minuteman,

moulds for this set have been re-cycled.
At the moment we don't have plans to return to the CW.
Please, be guided accordingly.

Best regards,

Strelets
Dear Strelets,

Thank you, I will be guided accordingly.

Are moulds re-cycled after a certain number of sets have been made eg: 10,000; or is it an issue of age ie: moulds are older than 10 years?

Would be interesting to know,

Regards

Minuteman

Dear Minuteman,

they are recycled depending on their wear and tear.
Best regards,

Strelets