Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Heads up

Minotaurs look awesome!

Exactly!

They all look nice but those Minotaurs look particularly nice.

Steve Pickstock
Exactly!

They all look nice but those Minotaurs look particularly nice.
Meaty!:yum:

Although I'd challenge anyone to carve a steak off one of these monsters!!

Yes the minotaurs caught my eye but no idea what I'd use them for!

Graham Korn
Yes the minotaurs caught my eye but no idea what I'd use them for!
Mine will be fighting the Amazons of Themyscira!

I have an ongoing project based around Dark Ages/Mythic Greece. It started out as an Amazon army for Dragon Rampant and snowballed.

Caesar Mycenaeans and Trojans, a Gryphon, a large Minotaur from a D&D range, a large wolf conversion into a Cerberus from another D&D line, a Mammoth from Speira (after all it's not like an army of Amazons isn't exotic enough, they were just crying out for a war-mammoth!) and of course the Centaurs from Dark Alliance. Linear A have promised Minoans and a Minoan bull so like the Minotaurs they will fit right in.

Dragon Rampant is a good system in that you don't need acres of figures, as it uses units of 12 or 6 (12 for foot and 6 for cavalry or elite foot) and there are limits on the numbers and types of unit. There are Heavy Foot and Light Foot units, Heavy and Light Missiles, and Elite Foot and Mounted. Those are just the titles and the units can be virtually anything within those categories, for exaample Mounted Missiles could be archers on flying carpets ( if you had an Arabian Nights themed army planned) Whereas mammoths, gryphons and Cerberi all fit into either Greater or Lesser Warbeasts.

These new Minotaurs will fit into a category called Bellicose Foot, Bat-sh!t crazy beggars who will charge in at the drop of hat, do ferocious amounts of damage, but are quite vulnerable in other ways.

If fantasy isn't your thing there is a historical version called Lion Rampant. They're published by Osprey and very reasonably priced.

Sounds great. I am awaiting some Neanderthals, mammoths and cave lions on order from Andrillona in Russia.

Lads, save some space on your tables for the Cyclops! They should be in the next batch of releases from Dark Alliance...correct Mr. HARON?

Then we're gonna need argonauts.

Graham Korn
Then we're gonna need argonauts.
Going by the film the Ceasar hoplites in the linen armour would pass, bur for myself I would probably go with selected figures from their Mycenaeans for the upper level heroes and less armoured figures for the rest of the Argonauts.
Of course a couple of dedicated sets - Argonauts in combat, and Argonauts sailors - would go down a treat, eh?

Yes!

What more do you want from fantasy?

Fantasy Wish list

HARON
Yes!

Thank you very much for asking. Where to start?

Beastmen - half-men/half ram sort of thing.
Were-wolves - some changing, some in wolf form.
Anubis warriors - as in the first Mummy film - to go with the Mummies.
Harpies - some flying, some on the ground.
Medusae.
Argonauts - fighting and sailing
Hobbits/halflings - armoured/unarmoured, fighting, archers or just eating - second breakfast anyone?
Wild Men - dunlendings
Citadel Guard
Knights of Gondor
Knights of Dol Amroth
Variags - not sure what they are but they sound cool.
Eagles
Wood woses - wild me of the woods (let's face it if you're going to do Middle Earth, do the lot)
Rangers of the North
Barrow wights - would make suitable armed ghosts for pretty much anywhere else)
Peasant/farmers

I am sure there's a lot more people want but these are just what I an think of.

Re: Fantasy Wish list

Great list Steve!

I vote for

-Werewolves
-Anubis Warriors, and most of all
-Gorgons/Medusae

Re: Fantasy Wish list

oh, and VALKYRIES too!

My 'usual' period right now involves tricornes, lace, muskets (the long variety) and platoon fire, but for when I get 'round to my LotR armies:

Hobbits/halflings, especially in 'travelling' mode with a few ponies (loaded with provisions), plus 'at ease'. Hobbits in fighting mode are a maybe, but less interesting.

Wizards/sorcerers (with various acolytes, servants etc)

Knights of Gondor

Black riders/Ringwraiths/Nazgul: Mounted and on foot: Perhaps three sprues with a couple mounted (with horses) and a couple on foot, armed with long swords; and a fourth 'command' sprue with the Witch King - armed with a suitably massive mace - on his flying pterodactilic steed?

My IT expertise is such that I am unable to post an impressive image of a Hobbit....or even a Nazgul....so this is just words.

I was in an intrnationally well-known gaming store who produce a range of LotR figures and I overheard a conversation.
Shop Assistant: No! You can't have 12 ringwraiths.
Young gamer: Why not?
Shop assistant: It says so in the book!
Young gamer: What book?

Steve Pickstock
I was in an intrnationally well-known gaming store who produce a range of LotR figures and I overheard a conversation.
Shop Assistant: No! You can't have 12 ringwraiths.
Young gamer: Why not?
Shop assistant: It says so in the book!
Young gamer: What book?
If JRRT knew of this he would turn in his proverbial grave...But were he still with us he'd be an extremely old gentleman, indeed older than Bilbo Baggins and (probably) wouldn't be hanging around an internationally famous gaming store.

Surely said young person wasn't in need of 12 Ringwraiths to comply with the Dragon Rampant unit conventions:upside_down_face:

It was many years ago - he was just being very very beardy.

Another vote from me on

Hobbits/halflings, - Hobbits fought in the battle of Greenfields, so Archers, Slingers, Pony mounted rangers and even mobs assembled with peasant arms such as pitchforks and the like.

Knights of Gondor

Ringwraiths/Nazgul: Mounted and on foot

A FellBeast with Nazgul rider.

Rangers of the North

HARON
Yes!

a horde of mounted tharks on thoats

1. Mutant Hunters

2. undead Samurai / Ronin / warrior Monk

3. planet of the Apes

Haron, for futures....

kindly make few (one or three) of Not fighting poses.

likes the Eastern tribes, One in Marching, two Standing poses

plus a Command pose will be perfect

or a FEMALE figure! eg a Lady/Female Minotaur! Alliance for fantasy funs, why Minotaur must be Male figure?

same for Cavalry / mounted, 6 poses are always All fighting; please have one or two Not fighting poses.

Planet of the Apes from the first two movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RiypkZjtIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMuEnNxX1E8

Planet of the Apes

And

Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

The Ape Army was magnificent and would be an awesome addition to any wargame collection.

"Beneath" was not a great movie, I did not care for the mutants or the ending, but the Ape Army was awesome.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

If you ever do a Dr Who range, I am in.

Some really great suggestions. I like the idea of apes.

Perhaps some Nordic myths.

Witches would also be great.

Cave people and associated animals would be nice.

Would you consider sci fi? Really liked the Dark Dream Studio troopers but others would be welcome. Xenomorphs and cyborgs would be really cool. Probably all sorts of copyright issues but actual 1/72nd Daleks or Cybermen would be phenomenal.

Agree about needing a mix of poses (fighting, not fighting, command etc) in separate or same sets.

Planet of the Apes (the classic films with Charlton Heston) would be a childhood wish come true! Who could forget Heston looking up to see a mounted Ape with a gun?!

Re: Heads up - Steady on now!

Baratheon
Agree about needing a mix of poses (fighting, not fighting, command etc) in separate or same sets.

Planet of the Apes (the classic films with Charlton Heston) would be a childhood wish come true! Who could forget Heston looking up to see a mounted Ape with a gun?!

Ummm, Charlton Heston fighting well armed Apes?? Intriguing.

This is an entertaining thread and a lively discussion. I hope Strelets are OK with this lengthening list of 'would likes' aimed really at Redbox/Alliance. I sense that we about to enter Star Wars/Star Trek etc etc teritory..."To boldly go..."

But..none of this is of use in the desert (well, actually perhaps some of it definitely is, those Easterlings....)

Not much of it is of use on European battlefields of the 18th and 19th centuries, although Harpies might prove popular...Ho hum.

Is it time to (temporarily at least) say "Thank You Haron", look forward to the next few Alliance sets, and return to 'normal'...?

It all sounds great guys! I am going to go broke! May I add one thing, Ents. The orcs have Trolls, the good guys need Ents. Just a thought. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

some great suggestions above including the knights of Gondor, Planet of the Apes and Star Wars. I would also like to see:
- A general set of “good” knights as well as “evil” knights with exaggerated fantasy weapons, helmets and armour
- witches, Medusas, and sorceresses, wizards and magicians
- Starship trooper style soldiers and some sort of bug like alien enemy (or any aliens)
- terminator style robots (would have to be careful about copyright with many of these topics)
- wolfmen / werewolves

swan knights of dol amrath and men of dunland.

Anyone for Steampunk?

also the Nazgul dark rider Lotr

both dismounted and mounted

yes, likes the Steampunk! esp. the Wild Wild West (cowboy) style

Oooooh shiny!

Very glad that the promising & obviously popular Alliance series will be continued. :+1:
Personally, I would be interested in different mythology-related ranges.

Greek mythology:
- Gods, Demigods/Heroes & Men (Zeus, Poseidon, Pan, Athena, Dionysus, distinctive Heracles, Argonauts,...)
- respective selections of Cyclopes, Gorgons, Harpies, Sphinxes, ...
- different individual Creatures could possibly be combined (Cerberus, Hydra, Gryphon, Talos, Pegasus, Hippocampus ...)
As long-standing admirer of the unrivalled Ray Harryhausen, I wouldn't mind if certain characters would correspond to his designs to some extent. :wink:

This easily leads to Egyptian, Sumerian/Assyro-Babylonian or even Hindu mythologies.
- Anubis and other animal-headed figures like Horus, Bastet, Set, Sobek, Thoth, Sekhmet, Ra, Ammit (btw, any Bilal fans reading here?)
- Mesopotamian Anzu & Lamassu
- six-armed Kali or Durga, Ganesha

For each of these topic areas, we already have sufficient figures matching the respective historical backgrounds (Mycenaean & Classical Greeks, Egyptians, Assyrians & Indians, ...), but, in turn, it could also lead to:
- 19th & 20th century Adventurers/Explorers/Archaeologists, corresponding guides & porters (fictional characters, but historical dress & gear).
Equipped for different landscapes & climate zones, Arctic, Desert/Jungle & Temperate. For my part, no need for Pulp or Steampunk exaggerations.

Another worthwhile topic could be Norse/Germanic mythology & an extension to the Nibelungen Saga.
- Odin, Tyr, Ostara, Thor, Loki, Heimdall, Freya, Hel ... plus Fenrir, Midgard Serpent & Valkyries
- Siegfried & Fafnir, Kriemhild & her brothers, Brunhild, Hagen, Attila, Alberich ...
Although not perfectly fitting, already existing LOTR dwarfs & elves could still be used. If this is taken into account, please ignore the design of recent Marvel interpretations. :wink:

To cover the central aspects of Alliance' remarkable LOTR range, the most obvious missing figures would imho be:
- Hobbits, main characters in different poses (1 set)
- Gondorian heavy infantry & archers (2-3 sets, highlighting different battle phases)
- Gondorian heavy cavalry (1 set)
- Nazgul on fell beasts
However, if Alliance would expand their LOTR range to "civilian" topics, I would prefer daily life subjects of Middle-Earth Men & Dwarfs: aristocrats, miners, blacksmiths, craftsmen, merchants, ... These would offer far more possibilities for alternative uses (Nordic Mythology or Medieval period in general).

Not sure, in how far it is advisable to tackle further Movie & TV topics?
If Alliance would take this step, my favorites would undoubtedly be affordable Star Wars and Star Trek figures in 1/72.
Both franchises are highly unlikely but would hold almost endless expansion possibilities.

Great topic and thanks for asking, Haron! :+1:

How about a dark elves range in style of gw d.e. corsairs (sorry if someone wished), box based on russian(and may be local syberian, "siikhirtiya folk" for example) folklore and sci-fi range in classic, close to retrofuturistics style, based on books like dune or heinleine's space marines. I will not wish(wait, but i'm actually doing it...) space fantasy like edgar rise burroughs' barsoom warriors and jaffa from stargates cause is bit unusual but i hope their(and mine) day will come. *insert joke about french handgunners and pikemen for italian wars but in fantasy box if we can wish only alliance products*
Sorry for bad english

How about

Elves Cavalry (with Elve king an big deer or moose)

Dwarf 'Cavalry'

(see the movie battle of the 5 armies)

and for the 'Nomands' Mumakils(big elefants) and Cavalry

Skeletons

Hi Steve,

I have a similar project (in 25/28mm):

Amazons
vs
Greeks/Argonauts
vs
Barbarians
vs
Greek Skeleton Warriors (based on Clash of the Titans)

Then I got carried away and discovered Apes in Roman Armour :-)

Ignoring the Apes, I can now do all the above in 1/72 except the Greek Skellies. They would be my request!!

Regards,
Andrew

I know the photos on the back of the boxes are hard to make out bot none of the figures in 72006 look much like Elvis to me.

Point taken Norgri, interesting observation....But then so far as I can see none of box set 72052 looks anything like Steps (UK band, formed 1997, not my musical taste, but who am I to say?)....

I'd buy Planet of the Apes (the original movie only). A set of cavalry Apes mounted and also infantry with that really cool rifle the apes used. Don't forget to include Chuck Heston and the other astronauts in both space suits and dressed down in chains. I would just use WWII G.I.'s if I wanted a battle against the apes.

I saw that movie as a kid at the drive-in theater in a convertible with the top down. Memorable and fun.

Both Planet of the Apes and The Terminator became surprise box office hits launching long running franchises. Nobody realized the appetite the average person has for sci-fi / fantasy themes, especially when well done!

POTA

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Beneath_the_Planet_of_the_Apes#See_Also

Ape weapons.

All based on the two original movies, no mutant humans please.

Don't forget we need Ape artillery, they had at least one cannon in the ape army, ape wagons, the cage wagon and the cargo wagon, and ape horse cavalry. Not to mention Gorillas, Orangutans, and Chimpanzees in male and female.

It's a huge potential and while a few have been done in 12" GI Joe / Action man size, 8" from Mego and rather large 28mm and even 54mm none have been done in 1/72nd scale. They would be great fighting against the humans from the movie, role playing games, and even wargame against other animals / humans / creatures from the Forbidden Zone.

I think five sets would get us most everything we would ever need for POTA.

Ape Infantry, a dozen Gorilla combat poses, 48 pieces.
Ape Artillery, with a gun, limber, and four horses and Gorilla crew, and mounted Gorilla General.
Ape Horse mounted Cavalry with 12 different Gorilla poses and four horse poses.
Ape Wagons, with the cage and cargo wagons with two horses each.
Ape City Dwellers with the Orangutans, Chimpanzees, and one male, one female humans, including a mounted Orangutan, and Chimpanzee, and seated Apes of each of the three types.

I know I would buy a lot of these.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

Re: POTA

I'm hoping Linear-A's upcoming "Neanderthal vs Denisova Human vs Homo Sapiens" set #037 could be used for the far future post-apocalyptic humans from Charlton Heston's Planet of The Apes

Barrow Wights would be excellent, my favourite characters. I would hope they had the look of ghosts of bronze age warriors (northern Europe bronze age, not Aegean); some sort of fantasy creation would leave me cold.

Graeme
Barrow Wights would be excellent, my favourite characters. I would hope they had the look of ghosts of bronze age warriors (northern Europe bronze age, not Aegean); some sort of fantasy creation would leave me cold.
Yes, Barrow Wights would be useful, and an interesting subject for a sculptor.

Whether they are a 'favourite character' might depend on whether you are hanging around an ancient Iron Age hill fort - of which there are a few not too far from where I live in Southern England - after dark on a misty night: potentially spooky!