Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Russo-Polish War

Thanx for all the info and tips relating to tachankas, I like the contrast of the old-fashioned coaches and the modern Maxim machine guns, got a steam punk or post-apocalyptic feel to it.

All sorts of WWI Russians are good for early Red Army, we agree on that, I also had to think of ACW rebs in that context.

That M095 kit looks very tempting, not least for the colour bearers, sure gotta get it.

Great discussion relating to the Russo-Polish war of 1920, perhaps Strelets would grace us with a few sets of related figures or at the very least we can do some conversions of their various sets from early 20th century conflicts. It is always a real joy to actually find a figure set that is made to be a particular subject that does not require extra work to convert. Such as figures wearing the Rogatywka instead of attempting to modify existing headgear.

I must admit I find this conflict and the early years of WW2 (Dutch, Finnish etc the more obsure the better !) most interesting, especially with the "minor" powers (with all due respect). The large scale use of cavalry and the aforementioned machine gun carts of 1920 provide much colour and movement - I could easily see Strelets eyeing our comments and weighing up to see if it is indeed worthwhile to produce a few sets to entice us. Look at the fabulous range of figures and periods so far ...Even though the war is not that well known I know of at least two local wargamers who would love to see the tachankas manufactured...obviously strelets need more than just a handful of interested souls, but it does make you wonder what sales target would be required to make a particular subject or period worth moulding ? (Without getting involved in "crowd-funding" obviously)

So possibly such sets could be viable even if only for its originality and uniqueness which might account for a number of sales. I like the idea of manufacturing a set with a range of different crew figures as suggested by Roy and Sarge, like the old Airfix ACW artillery set but any variation would of course be eagerly awaited. Could Strelets even consider not only horse drawn carts but also cavalry as suggested in earlier posts ? Possibly the only other issue could be that they may consider producing Cavalry and carts for one of the two conflicts (1920 or 1939 but not both) as some uniform and equipment would be of similar design. Again depends on whether these concepts are viewed as financially feasible. Anyway enough of my waffling ...

I think the novelty value of a tachanka set would guarantee reasonable sales, not least from people who have already bought Strelets Bolsheviks etc. Cavalry aren't really needed, as Hat already do them, and there's an Orion set of Red Cavalry in Budenovkas - other types can be converted from WW1 sets fairly easily.
By contrast a "classic" tachanka is not easy to convert; if you go on to Youtube and see some of the clips from, eg, The Nine Lives of Nestor Makhno, you'll see what I mean.
Our group has tachankas converted from assorted limbers and wagons, with crew and MGs added, but they are not ideal.
If I were producing such a set I'd make it two tachanka carriages, eight horses, two MGs and drivers/MG crew ... but it is a very tricky piece of work in this scale: then again it would be literally unique.
BTW on Youtube you can now see The Nine Lives of Nestor Makhno with English subtitles ...which has lots of tachankas in various episodes!