Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help identifying officer in Shako in Napoleon Staff set #1

I checked a contribution on site , but my 69 Y.O. eyes might not be working so good. Is he a light infantry officer with hussar boots? He has a straight saber, but chevrons on his trousers(what is the correct name for those) like a cavalry officer. I'd like to do more research and get the paint job done right.

THX,

Bob

Re: Help identifying officer in Shako in Napoleon Staff set #1

If you mean the Shakoed infantry officer whos looking over his right shoulder whilst drawing his sword, then I think he is indeed ment to be a infantry officer and yes, more than likely light infantry. The straight sword i think is a mistake (unless hes ment to be some sort of French Richard Sharpe?!!)
Officers of light infantry often took pieces of light cavalry uniform (more so hussars) and incorporated it into their own.

Hussar boots, dolmans & pelisses often were seen even if they werent regulation.

As for the Chevrons im not sure if thats what they were generally known as or just simply elaborate lace/braiding. These too could be found on all sorts of uniforms but im not too sure they belong on a light infantry officer, but as ive said, officers often took uniform that wasnt regulation so I think it still works.

Hi Bob,

the PSR review of the kit calls the figure an infantry colonel, with the info coming from Strelets they say. So the straight sword is absolutely ok for that man.
Those chevrons on the thighs were not a personal matter, they were clearly defined for all ranks from colonel down to sous-lieutenant. My German source calls that the husarische Uniform, so hussar-style, and it shows them also for infantry officers, in theory, at least. The plates show all the infantry officers in the usual white trousers but it also has some schematic depictions that refer to officers in general, and even depict infantry shakos to illustrate the facts. I suppose they could be worn if mounted, that is why we see them on cavalry officers usually.
I hope I could be of some help with your issue.

Sarge

Yep Sarge is indeed right about straight swords being ok so I stand corrected. As for the Chevrons ive seen pictures of French officers with them and without them, having just plain blue trousers on. So them being moulded on the figure is fine as well. That 1st General staff set is indeed a fantastic set and it would be great if it was possible for it to be re-released.

He's listed on the back of the box as "Colonel of Infantry".

In the British Army an officer of that rank could wear and carry pretty much what he liked. French Colonels may have been more regulated.

It is curious, wonder who/what he represents? Maybe Strelets could enlighten us further?

Mystery solved!

APB
It is curious, wonder who/what he represents? Maybe Strelets could enlighten us further?
I will refer you to the second of the two Osprey books on Napoleon's commanders.

In this lavishly illustrated book, a uniformed person that looks exactly like the Strelets' figure is labelled Capitaine H.L.E. Dreux-Nancre, ADC to Gudin. Find this on Plate c. #3.
The Osprey illustration does show a slightly curved sword.

And here it is:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/384354149429574591/

There is some information on his uniform being a light cavalry version of an ADC's uniform. The illustration is taken from a contemporary portrait.

donald

Re: Mystery solved!

Paint dog
APB
I will refer you to the second of the two Osprey books on Napoleon's commanders.

In this lavishly illustrated book, a uniformed person that looks exactly like the Strelets' figure is labelled Capitaine H.L.E. Dreux-Nancre, ADC to Gudin. Find this on Plate c. #3.
The Osprey illustration does show a slightly curved sword.

There is some information on his uniform being a light cavalry version of an ADC's uniform. The illustration is taken from a contemporary portrait.

donald
That's really useful Donald. It is always helpful to have an appropriately sourced reference from a book.

James Fisher
That's really useful Donald.

I hope so, James.

There's a large number of really very knowledgeable members on this forum (your good self, included).
I know I've been given a lot of useful information so if, in my small way, I can help some one else, it is my humble way of returning the favour.

donald

Excellent research Donald, I think you’ve nailed it! Thanks for sharing.

After so many experts speaking let me add my humble opinion.

This figure is meant to represent Hyacinthe-Louis-Ernest de Dreux-Nancré, ADC to général de division Gudin de la Sablonnière (yes, the very same Gudin who was killed during the 1812 campaign and whose remains were recently found at Smolensk). The uniform he is wearing is that of an ADC to a divisional general, of light cavalry style. And yes, the sabre should be slightly curved rather than straight, and the red brassard egded gold worn on the left arm and denoting an ADC to a divisional general is missing. And yes, the bastion-shaped lace on the breeches denote rank - three chevrons for a capitaine.

http://impereur.blogspot.com/2019/08/hyacinthe-louis-ernest-de-dreux-nancre.html

https://www.neustadtgalerie.com/fr/oeuvre/victor-huen-capitaine-de-deux-nancre-aide-de-camp-de-general-de-division-grande-tenue-vienne-1809-612 [his name is Dreux-Nancré, not Deux-Nancré]