Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Arabs in Skirmish, and FFL Artillery

I have been thinking about these guys too. The FFL is pretty cool.

I have one of these forts by Hudson and Allen. I think it really captures the feeling.

http://www.wargamescenics.com/Desert_Fortress_Pictures.html

These new sets of FFL and Arabs look fantastic! As a modeller, (who hardly ever seems to finish anything)I do see some great ideas for dioramas both small and large with so much promise from these sets. The old Airfix figures also hold a special place for myself and the good old Fort Sahara … memories from the distant past.

Strelets are bringing these periods alive again and deserve much praise for their inventiveness in both subject manner and the sculpting and poses provided - much more animated than figure sets from previous manufacturers. (No disrespect intended as the original companies paved the way for the huge and varied range of figures we are currently experiencing).

No matter which sets are released I am always fascinated with the interesting and characterful animation and sculpting by Strelets, that actually tell a story, not just run of the mill poses... again kudos to Strelets !!

They are indeed excellent figures.

Thanks for the links, pictures, and suggestions guys. FFL is a romantic topic, isn't it? There are now many great pictures of hobby FFL forts on the internet, both conversions and kits built by enthusiasts. So much fun to look at. Google (images) is a treasure chest of ideas.

Regarding how the FFL would have moved a mountain gun around the desert, the movie "March or Die" has a picture of one being transported dis-assembled by mule pack. Makes sense it would work for both the Sahara sand and mountain trails, and be a fun conversion.

I feel the Strelets line of FFL and Arabs are by far the most historically accurate, tastefully done, made in a nice color, and have many animated poses to cover so many colonial subjects.

For me, in the end, with the FFL, I don't go overboard taking the subject too serious, as they were always very adaptive anyway. It has a very long history. So let your imagination open up. Keep it fun.

Here is one more link I know of by an enthusiast with lots of fun info in general. If you have the free time, on that Home Page, check down the right side for older, earlier posts. Lots of reference material hidden in the older stuff. I saved the link and check back periodically. It's called "Mon Legionnaire."

https://monlegionnaire.wordpress.com/

I feel a dedicated FFL mule train set should be next up

Baratheon
I feel a dedicated FFL mule train set should be next up
Actually some pack mules would be really useful for all sorts of eras and settings. HaT did pack horses (instead of proper limbers and teams) with their early artillery sets and I still have loads which get used in pairs or fours here and there.

Perhaps Strelets might consider some pack mules for this period/generic 19th century? Would be a really useful set.

Yes a dedicated mule train for the FFL will be highly commendable as will be some with carts. Please give us these missing gaps for this period.

Mule train etc??

How about Strelets releasing a 'Draught Animal' set comprising a couple of the mule-ox animal sprues from the Crusader Transport 1 set?? Maybe a couple of the Rif camel sprues??
You don't have to be Michelangelo to mould sacks/bundles/blankets etc from putty, or folded tents and tent-poles... Possibly components of dismantled mountain gun...

Re: Mule train etc??

mike b
How about Strelets releasing a 'Draught Animal' set comprising a couple of the mule-ox animal sprues from the Crusader Transport 1 set?? Maybe a couple of the Rif camel sprues??
You don't have to be Michelangelo to mould sacks/bundles/blankets etc from putty, or folded tents and tent-poles... Possibly components of dismantled mountain gun...
I agree 100%. Mules, pack horses, a camel or two in draught mode would be very useful indeed. Yes also to a mountain gun packaged for transit. Oxen would also be very useful for many eras, including Ancient, Medieval and Colonial. As you note, Strelets have these in other sets, and these animal poses could feature again in this new set. And as you observe, baggage etc from scratch is straightforward.

Incidentally, since you mention him: Makes me wonder what Michelangelo would have done with a few packs of 'Green Stuff' or 'Milliput Fine'?? Just think of the figures for the Italian Renaissance that he might have turned out, in 1/72 of course!!