Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: American Civil War field artillery

@Chris, Thanks for the reference, I'll be sure to look that one up. I know what you mean about trying to be authentic. It sometimes gets the better of me. I will start sharing my project progress more broadly once I've got some more pieces completed.

@Minuteman, Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure the Jacklex crew are wondering what the spike is about. I've been contemplating purchasing more myself. Just hoping for a little more improvement in our dollar.

Would be interested to hear both your thoughts on the guns once you get them in your hands. I hope that one day in the not too distant future we will be able to get this quality in 1/72 plastic. Its a shame we have to look to the metal market for something that you would think would be readily available for this era in plastic. Maybe a more directed question to gauge the interest level.

@Strelets, What's the chances of more ACW Artillery to cover the more common guns of the period? :thinking_face:

Dear Neilad,

Napoleons were made by us in set French Artillery for the Crimean war.
Crews are available from 2 ACW sets.
We see no reason to repeat the subject, really.

Best regards,

Strelets

Thanks Strelets. I appreciate the direct response. Probably the response I expected. BTW if the set you referring to is 065, this contains the 1841 issue Napoleon. Most of these were melted down at the start of the ACW and very few saw service beyond the first few months of the war so does not represent the most common Napoleon of the ACW. Only about 60 pieces of this type saw service as compared to the later Napoleon of which approx 1700 saw service. Nor does it cover the 10pdr Parrot (over 600) or the 3inch Ordinance (over 900), the other two most common pieces.

Even if one was to accept 065 as a reasonable set it isn't readily available so finding maybe a single box or two (with only 2 guns in the box, just for the guns) is not really going to be sufficient for anyone to build artillery units from. As previously stated, its a shame you chose to produce two sets with obscure pieces in them, only one being a field gun, the Whitworth (of which only 12 saw service in the war). I'm sure it affected your sales of these sets, where someone might look to purchase 3-10 boxes to get a reasonable number of artillery, 1 or 2 boxes would have been purchased. Even adding the other barrel types to the confederate set would have seen this set being far more useful.

While we are on ACW. It has been asked previously whether there would be other ACW sets and the response has been that you would expand the line but there was no timeline. Can I ask then would part of that expansion be a zouave set specific to the ACW, that has decent poses in the current sculpting style, ACW backpacks rather than the french style, ACW bayonets rather then knife style, chasseur style pants rather than baggy pantaloons?

Or can we expect a similar response in that you've already released a Crimean War Zouave set?

Thanks

Re: American Civil War field artillery...or Zouaves

(Neilad).... "Can I ask then would part of that expansion be a zouave set specific to the ACW, that has decent poses in the current sculpting style, ACW backpacks rather than the french style, ACW bayonets rather then knife style, chasseur style pants rather than baggy pantaloons?

Or can we expect a similar response in that you've already released a Crimean War Zouave set?

Thanks[/quote]"

A good set of Zouaves would be almost more useful than an artillery set...especially since other artillery options (including 20mm metal) are available. In the UK 3 x Jacklex guns (3 carriages, 6 barrels) costs £7.50 + a bit of postage....

The Crimean French Field Artillery set is, incidentally, still available here and there in the UK (eg: Wonderland Models in Scotland). It is a good set, so perhaps Strelets might consider re-releasing it sometimes?

Just for the record I have received my Jacklex cannon together with a gratis crew for which I am very grateful.

The cannon are detailed and look lovely.

However, in my opinion, the trail looks painfully thin and the Parrott barrel looks more 20pdr than 10.

It is the ‘look’ of the thing I seek as well as accuracy so compromises are in order here.

Nevertheless, the wheels are super and I am thinking of using them as 12 Pdr howitzers as the Confederates had fifty six of these at Antietam.

My SHQ pieces have twelve spokes so the Jacklex ones will be most useful to replace those.

All in all, not the complete answer but a very good compromise.

Thank you once again .

Chris

Hi Chris,

Good to hear back. The trail in reality is less than 6 inch wide which equates to less than 2mm in 1/72, so while it might look thin is actually probably closer than you think. I think we are all so used to things in miniature being of a chunky style that we get a false sense when we see it in true scale.

I haven't seen the Parrot barrel as it wasn't included when I purchased mine. I see that there is additional photos on the Jacklex site now. It does look rather thick but it certainly isn't long enough to be a 20 pounder (it should be just shy of 30mm in length). Maybe it could lengthened a bit. There were a number of 20 pounders at Antietam as well and I have been looking for suitable barrels. I had some Thomas 20mm miniature parrot barrels that I thought were ideal for 20 pounders but do you think I can find them.....

Good luck with the project.

Hi all
looks like most people have beaten me to the subject of ACW artillery which has been much on my mind lately.
It's a mystery why Italeri didn't produce a Confederate artillery set, and the Imex set leaves much to be desired, so the Rebels are poorly served for artillery.
Well, here's my little wish, or maybe lightbulb moment for Strelets to consider.
How about producing ACW Big Box artillery sets? These could include limbers and command figures with an assortment of guns! As a collector/modeller I like to see a means of moving guns around!
I'm more of a collector/modeller than wargamer but as I assemble my ACW armies I'm frustrated by the lack of artillery!
If Strelets should go ahead I'll buy 2 or maybe 4 each, Union and Confederate - looks like there are plenty more people wanting artillery............
I just hope they don't take too long as I'm getting older - 67 next month! (Ouch!) and I wonder if I'll see half the things I'd like to!
Well, stay safe and have fun, and maybe dream fantasize about Big Box sets............
Best regards to all
Richard

American Civil War 1/72 naval and coastal artillery

Not field artillery but very nice too, and easily overlooked. Just in case you are not aware of the existence of this set. I think every collector should own one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verlinden-1-72-Confederate-7-inch-178mm-Brooke-Rifle-Emplacement-Civil-War-2133/180759896857

Re: American Civil War 1/72 naval and coastal artillery

Master Kunz
Not field artillery but very nice too, and easily overlooked. Just in case you are not aware of the existence of this set. I think every collector should own one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verlinden-1-72-Confederate-7-inch-178mm-Brooke-Rifle-Emplacement-Civil-War-2133/180759896857
That is a good looking model.... and not one that I was previously aware of either!