Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Battle of Agincourt / 100 Years War / War of the Roses

citadelsix.co.uk is for 28mm figures, but gives you a comprehensive understanding of the period and the heraldry. Alan is wrong assuming that only wealthy people afforded the liveries in the colors of the lord, with the badges sewn on them. There were three ways of raising armies in that period in England, plus the mercenaries. The one raising the warband also provided the liveries with the badges, and usually also the weapons, as they were stored with the coats in the arsenals of the castles. Wealthy towns had their own liveries in specific colors with quite elaborate coat of arms, the latter surviving to this day. The red cross of St George was used only when an English army was abroad. The noble English, as opposed to the French, were more inclined to use “white armor”, meaning not covered by heraldic fabrics, especially in the WOTR, making the banners and personal flags more important for identification.

Wow, fantastic gentlemen! Thank you, all for taking so much of your time for this. I've spent the whole morning here reading word-for-word your well written and thoughtful comments and recommendations. I also checked some links which also led to a few YouTube shorts.

As I confessed, I'm a beginner in this subject. I now know many new time period words and terms which led me to more info. I can now claim to know the origins of the St. George's Flag and the Union Flag and their evolutions. I always was curious about them. I've also got a beginner's understanding of liveries, heraldry, shields as identifiers and banners concerning Knights, Men-at-arms, Archers and more. Just a taste, however, and thirst for more learning.

Below I've added a link for a History of Britains Herald Swoppets which is quite sophisticated and informative. The Swoppets were my very first soft plastic figurines in my childhood, but too expensive, so I moved on to 1/72 Airfix, etc since then. But I never could shed my fondness for "The Swoppets look and style." The discovery of the former Giant of Hong Kong Swoppets from the Gold Crown comic book games and acquisition (long ago) of some of these nice figurines led me back to this today.

So, I promise to keep at it and learn more and little by little build up my army of Knights in shining armour! Thank you, again - Link (if you look, know that the top left corner of the Home page sub-titles are actually buttons to each section of the site):

http://goldkeep.co.uk/swoppets/index.htm

GC - :sweat_smile:

P.S. Any further information from anyone will be much appreciated.

One practice was for armies to adopt a fieldsign,the most famous of which was a sprig of broom, planta genista in Latin when then evolved into the surname Plantagebet the line of English kings ending with Richard III.

Thank you, Graham. Of all that I've read and seen and watched to help answer my questions, your info is a new one!

Especially helpful for me are the great links suggested herein showing painted and described figurines as well as some very vivid computer graphic's battle scenes on YouTube. I get the impression all were done by serious people interested in historical representation. I'm afraid the full-length movies set in this time period were lacking in visual details and historical accuracy, although entertaining. The movies did, after all, re-awaken my curiosity in this fascinating period of military history.

OK, all you guys, thank you so much again! - GC