Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: So Strelets, how about.........

The dilemma , Waterloo and uniforms in good condition or the Spanish ulcer and rather tatty ....

Hmmm a good (and very tough) question.

There are a couple of Peninsular War British Line on the Market, with (hopefully) the light and heavy dragoons soon to appear too, so some tatty Peninsular Rifles Skirmishing would certainly be a serious boost for that campaign. However the problem is, the existing sets of Line infantry, havent been depicted in a scruffy way either, even though they would of suffered the same supply issues.

In a perfect world, both a set of uniforms in good condition for Waterloo and scruffy for the Peninsular would be ideal, but if I really have to chose one, due to the current Peninsular sets being smart anyway, Id go with good condition uniforms.

Alan Buckingham
The dilemma , Waterloo and uniforms in good condition or the Spanish ulcer and rather tatty ....
I think that is one of those 'dilemmas' that surfaces with many sets, not just Napoleonic. 'Tatty' is more realistic, but 'neat' is more uniform.

I think it is easier to take a figure with a fairly neat and uniform appearance and make it 'tatty' than the other way around. So my vote would go for Waterloo-style neat rather than Peninsular style tatty for these Rifles.

I also believe that a very good case stands - as expressed in another thread a few weeks ago on this Forum - for a number of sets of Napoleonic Skirmishers. British/KGL Rifles definitely, and perhaps the first in this range of sets. But then:

- French Voltigeurs (to complement the French infantry sets that Strelets are bringing out)
- Russian Jager (ditto)
- Austrian Jager
- Prussian Fusiliers

A box of 10 x poses (4 figures each) and 4 command figures might therefore consist of: 2 x standing firing poses; 1 x standing cocking firearm pose; 2 x kneeling firing pose; 2 x standing loading pose; 1 x kneeling cocking firearm pose; 2 x running forward/advancing pose. The command sprue would have: officer; NCO; bugler/trumpeter; and a casualty. Optionally, one of the kneeling poses might be a lying prone and firing pose....although I am not a great fan of lying prone poses in figure sets pre ACW....

It would also be good to have a combined Firing Line and Skirmishing set of Brunswickers.

Id go along with those recommendations minuteman. Russian Jagers suitable for Borodino etc I dont think have been done before, only Jagers for before then.
I would also add maybe some British redcoat Light Infantry such as the 51st, 52nd & 71st regiments could also be portrayed skirmishing perhaps? I know they often fought like line regiments, but they were trained and did operate as skirmishers during the Peninsular War.
These figures could also work as light companys for line regiments also in the Peninsular. The Hat set of British Light Infantry wasnt the best and could do with replacing.

I also agree that Strelets could do with making Firing/in action sets for the nations too. All these standing around sets are very nice, but if someone wants to depict a battle in progress, they have limited uses.

Roger W

I would also add maybe some British redcoat Light Infantry such as the 51st, 52nd & 71st regiments could also be portrayed skirmishing perhaps? I know they often fought like line regiments, but they were trained and did operate as skirmishers during the Peninsular War.
These figures could also work as light companys for line regiments also in the Peninsular. The Hat set of British Light Infantry wasnt the best and could do with replacing.

I also agree that Strelets could do with making Firing/in action sets for the nations too. All these standing around sets are very nice, but if someone wants to depict a battle in progress, they have limited uses.
Yes, I agree Roger. Time for a really good set of British Light Infantry skirmishing/Firing Line.

The HaT set filled a gap when it came out, but it is certainly no-where near the best Napoleonic infantry set produced by that manufacturer, and has quite a few flaws. Time probably for it to gracefully 'retire'.

Some Peninsular War British Line Infantry might be a good start... They could even be wearing breeches and gaiters if you like C.1807...And marching smartly...

Yes to marching Peninsular British, BUT once they had marched to the battlefield, lets have them holding their ground defending at the ready, firing volleys when the French columns came into range and then advancing/attacking when they had stopped the columns and had them routed!!!!
Those kind of sets (defending/at ready), (firing) & (advancing/attacking) are also needed for the rest of the nations. The 1815 British line still need firing and defending/at ready sets.

In fact Strelets were getting the right sort of format with their ACW range, Yes marching and standing about. But also sets firing, at the ready/defending or holding the line to give it another name, & of course advancing/attacking, some sets of which have been done for some of the Napoleonic nations already.
Its a format which was a good idea for the ACW range, & would lend itself perfectly for the Napoleonic era too.

Hi

Good idea re Skirmishers and Riflemen of 60th, 95th, Sharp's chosen men and KGL.

The ACW range has an excellent set of Skirmishers to use as basis just lose the ones lying down and few more scuttling bout and officers / nco directing affairs.

Cheers