Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What green for 95th Rifles & similar?

Suporting minuteman's answer...you also can try modelcolor 70897 bronce green, that it's a very versatile and nice color also...but plese, forget game color...it's supposed that we are serious military modelers imho

Re: What green for 95th Rifles & similar? Interesting link to the 'real' thing

https://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Napuni.html

Roger's request has set me thinking, and I've come across an interesting site, link above. This company make re-enactment uniforms, and they look very convincing. It may give some idea of the 'brand new' colour of certain Napoleonic - and other - uniforms.

If you wish to purchase a jacket for yourself from these good people it looks to be quite an expensive proposition...but then it was expensive back in the 1800s as well.

Re: What green for 95th Rifles & similar? Interesting link to the 'real' thing

Thanks all for the ideas. Ive ordered Bronze Green, Military Green, Camo Olive and German Uniform dark Green. I needed put in a paint order anyway so took the plunge. The unsuitable greens will still end up getting used at some point so wont be bought for nothing.

Wow what a website minuteman!! Some really fantastic looking re-enactment uniforms there!! Funny enough the 1st tunic displayed when I clicked on Napoleonic was a 95th Rifles officer tunic!!!
Not sure of the prices though!!! Could get a lot of boxes of soldiers for what they ask!!!!

Wonderful craftsmanship though.

Roger, I'm assuming you didn't/don't use washes? If so, and you're going to re-paint the figures anyway, try first experimenting with applying different washes (black or earth brown or dark green-black mix) to the existing green you used?

I have used washes before, mainly on things like faces, but the dark green from the Game color range just seems really "thin" in terms of depth of colour. I didnt think a wash would make that much difference due to the paint itself being so thin and inconsistent. Yellow seems be a problem in that range too. Even after 2 or 3 coats it just doesnt seem have any depth to it.
Since having done the 95th I switched to Vallejo Model Color which seems much better. Doesnt seem matter what colour i use from that range, it has a nice depth and Matt finish.

I've never been a fan of Vallejo washes as I found them too thin also. Try more aggressive Tamiya: black, dark brown, brown panel washes, and also Citadel: Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, and they have a few different green washes (Coelia Greenshade, Biel-Tan Green, Athonian Camoshade) also. Tamiya and Citadel are my most used washes, and the results will amaze. Even Citadel's Contrast Dark Angels Green on white or grey primer might work?

Roger AK 11045 deep yellow, from acrylic modelling colors will end your problem with yellow, for ever and ever jamas!....you are welcomme

I used Vallejo Model Colour 980 - Black Green

Thanks Pedro. Will keep that color in mind 😊

Admittedly very late to this discussion (!) but I would echo Pedro's choice - Vallejo's Black Green as a base colour.