Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prussian staff contribution

Could not agree more with all of the above; beaut composition Gerd!

Very fine job...congrats. Ciao

Re: Prussian staff contribution: suggestion

Gerd, I join the chorus in singing your praises.

Could I also make one suggestion?

The faces lack a little definition. There's complicated & easy ways to make their facial features "pop". The easy way is Step 1. below. Slightly harder, you can follow up with Step 2.

Two steps: firstly, put a wash of skin colour over them (hands too).

This settles in the hollows & leaves the high bits alone (ie will fill eyes but not noses).
It's easy to do & if you put too much on, a tissue (through osmosis) will take out the extra.

Secondly- if you want to but not vital- go back to your original flesh coloured paint. With a very fine paint brush paint ( I use a 0 but it needs a point), a line on the nose, two dots on the cheeks & (if not covered) a line on the forehead. This is not that hard with practice.

OK which wash?

I like GW's Reikland Fleshshade but there are others:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/hobby-comparing-flesh-washes-youll-be-surprised.html

NB a wash NOT an Ink BTW.

Strelets' figures have great faces & this will make them come alive.

donald

Great tip about the faces. Think I will give the skintone washes a try too.

Hello

I am very glad that you like my little diorama with the General Staff. The Prussian General Staff is a very early set of Strelets, but contains many great characters with different poses and uniforms.

Yes, I still need to improve the painting of the faces.

I had first covered the recesses (eyes, mouth) with a dark brown washing in the faces of these figures. But when photographing with zoom, the faces looked as if the generals had worked in a coal mine. :confused:
On the Gneisenau figure, which stands on the left side of the table (with coat), you can still see remnants of the dark wash on the face.

So I painted them over again and painted the details with a fine brush.

But I am very grateful for your tips, because I am not satisfied with the faces yet.

I try to make it better in the future...

@Minuteman: Correct, some of my Pomeranian musketeers and Westphalian landwehr-men are used as staff-guards :+1:

Hi Gerd,

indeed, a very nice diorama. May I ask you where are the buildings from? I like very much the way you've painted the roofs.:+1:

Mr Schmitt
Hi Gerd,

indeed, a very nice diorama. May I ask you where are the buildings from? I like very much the way you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve painted the roofs.:+1:
They look like the old Heljan model building kits.

I don't know if they still make them, but they sometimes pop up on ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELJAN-KIT-1770-FARM-BUILDINGS-OO-HO/193529416946?hash=item2d0f408cf2:g:xRMAAOSwvd9eFzfS

I agree with all the comments about the great painting.

Great work! Thank you for sharing!

Hello,

this is correct...its the Danish Farm-Building from HELJAN.

Some of this old HELJAN-kits still exist.
I bought this farm building years ago...I think 1992..
It was broken into parts, so i build it up again and painted it a little bit.