Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An ide about Bonus - figures

I have always had a theory about the bonus figures, they are a way of getting the perfect set of what you want, but maybe not too many others want, all you need is your own toy soldier company and to sneak one in to each set ;-) But seriously the bonus figures are only a bonus if they are useful to you, and what would be useful to you may not be to me, so I would rather see another figure for the set in question.

Agreed Alan. I guess thats kind of what i ment about more NCOs or officers or casualties. Maybe not "bonus" figures in the obvious sense but if theres room on a sprue/in a box for extra figures, i think it would be better for this space to be used by more of what the set topic is, based on that sets era.

So for example, if it was a set of say Zulu War British, then perhaps a unfortunate chap with a spear stuck in him or if its some WW2 soldiers, what about someone slumped over some sandbags etc?

Then there is the musicians that "musket era" regiments had. So what about something like a Drum Major?

Either way, something more in line with what the set is ment to be.

Wounded and/or dead would be my own personal 1st choice.

Civilians could as I say, be a different, smaller range that exist in their own right. 1 small mini box each for the main eras represented.

Now dont get me wrong, im not against civilians being done, afterall I wouldnt say no to a box of napoleonic civilians myself, but i personally wouldnt of necessarily wanted a woman offering up her child with every box of Prussian Uhlans i purchase.

Roger W

So for example, if it was a set of say Zulu War British, then perhaps a unfortunate chap with a spear stuck in him or if its some WW2 soldiers, what about someone slumped over some sandbags etc?

Then there is the musicians that "musket era" regiments had. So what about something like a Drum Major?

Either way, something more in line with what the set is ment to be.
Those things are different enough to be considered as bonus figures. At least you'd know you were getting a bonus.

For Napoleonic sets how about camp followers, they're quite closely connected to the set in question. Marching figures are the popular thing at present; I think it might be cool if every column of smart marching soldiers had a woman at the back carrying all of their non regulation stuff.

I would buy camp followers as a separate set as well. In fact I might prefer to buy them and civilians as separate sets IF anyone was going to make those sets. If Strelets isn't going to make them as separate sets then I'm happy to take the bonus figs.

Alan Buckingham
I have always had a theory about the bonus figures, they are a way of getting the perfect set of what you want, but maybe not too many others want, all you need is your own toy soldier company and to sneak one in to each set ;-)
I have always had a theory that some of the manufacturers are just ordinary proponents of the hobby like the rest of us and that they started their own toy soldier company just to get the sets they always dreamed of having but manufacturers wouldn't produce.

I think that's OK.

When their dreams coincide with mine, I think it's excellent.

Ah yes camp followers for marching sets sounds good to me!!

Then perhaps some sort of dramatic wounded/dead bonus figure for any future "in action" sets? As camp followers (civilians) would be most likely back with the baggage?

Or perhaps we could see a infantry pose bayonetting an opponent or cavalry slashing down on some poor unfortunate chap, or in hand to hand with enemy cavalry?
Whether they could be considered "bonus" figures is debateable granted, but to my mind those sorts of unique poses havent been done that much if at all, so in some way, they could still provide a "bonus", as we wouldnt of had them before. However if entire sets were to be made of such figures doing these things then thats fine by me!!!!

Another thought, what about medics? Many eras had medics within the regiment/unit itself.

But if we really want to talk bonus figures, a set of Scots Greys with a bonus figure of Sargent Ewart capturing that eagle would go down a treat!!! 😂 😁

That pose would indeed be nice, if only because it was the only succes the Greys had before being routed by the French cavalry along with the other members of the Union brigade .

Thomas
That pose would indeed be nice, if only because it was the only succes the Greys had before being routed by the French cavalry along with the other members of the Union brigade .
Yep, getting carried away with bloodlust was a feature of British cavalry of the period. Apparently it was a lesson still not learned from the Peninsular War.
The Royals of the same brigade captured an eagle too if im not mistaken? So maybe both could be bonus figures in a potential set?

In fact, cavalrymen carrying off enemy colours/standards could be potential bonus figures for cavalry sets?

Graeme
Alan Buckingham
I have always had a theory about the bonus figures, they are a way of getting the perfect set of what you want, but maybe not too many others want, all you need is your own toy soldier company and to sneak one in to each set ;-)
I have always had a theory that some of the manufacturers are just ordinary proponents of the hobby like the rest of us and that they started their own toy soldier company just to get the sets they always dreamed of having but manufacturers wouldn't produce.

I think that's OK.

When their dreams coincide with mine, I think it's excellent.
It`s OK with me too, in fact I am eternally grateful to our hobbies manufacturers for for filling their dreams and a good few of mine too.

I think it's about time we had some pikemen to go with the Streltsy.

Civilians, wounded and dead, camp followers all seem good ideas to me. The only stipulation I would make is that everything matched the era of the set.