Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Why are we passionate about 1:72 scale miniatures?" Continued from April 13, 2020

Like many of us of a certain age it was the figure sets and models of Airfix that started me off. Lost contact with the hobby in my early teens and when I picked it up again in my late teens it was through 1/300th micro armour and 15mm Renaissance. At that time 20mm plastic just didn't offer the troops I was interested in. What changed things was Hat's Punic Wars range a real revelation after years of Airfix's and Atlantic's appalling Romans. Thereafter the amazingly expanded range of plastic figures has kept me hooked. i find a lot of 28mm too bulky, 15mm a bit stubby but 1/72nd just right and wonderfully affordable.

Re: "Why are we passionate about 1:72 scale miniatures?" Continued from April 13, 2020

I had missed this thread yesterday. It is a good one. I started collecting 1/72 figures in the 1960's. One day, I went to my friend David's house. We were already both avid students of history at the young age of 7. He trotted out some Airfix WWII Russian and German soldiers. Mind you, we were both surrounded by relatives who had returned from the wars in Europe and Asia, and had been told quite a bit about that. He proceeded to take one Russian soldier and for a good 40 minutes, he showed me a scene better than any movie, with his single soldier holding off an entire German platoon. This had nothing to do with real war......we were just 7.... but everything to do with the imagination and a young child's need to tell a story that has heroes in it fighting for good. A short while later, I lucked into the Robin Hood and Sheriff on Nottingham sets and became the hero in my own stories, imagining various adventures every day for weeks on end. I am a retired teacher and yes, decades later I filled my classroom with many toys and tools for imagining, but the 1/72 figures were always favorites with both boys and girls. Hey, 1/72 horses? I haven't seen a girl student who didn't go crazy over them. I really wish that there had been sets of Amazon warriors at the time. Those girls would have been crazy over them. Lastly, those small figure sets......Romans, ancient Greeks and Egyptians, American War of Independence,etc. gave me a fantastic vehicle to illustrate the story that history really is.

It's truly amazing that people from around the world have such similar experiences. 1/72 soldiers started for me when my Dad brought some Airfix Civil War Yankees and Confederates back from a business trip. A family trip to Gettysburg cemented the passion and the film Waterloo expanded my horizons (what's a Prussian?). Drifted into fly-tying and aircraft models for a while. Esci's Polish Lancers and Russian infantry brought me back, and then Revell's classic 30YW sets. I still buy sets from time to time, but never have time to paint. But I still enjoy the hobby vicariously over the internet, especially all the wonderful paint jobs you see on the various forums. I doubt my finances will allow for much free time in my old age (58 now), but if they do, maybe I will do that Ligny diorama...