Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Next War of Spanish Succession sets?

Just a tip for those people, which are interested in the WoSS:

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/weapons.html

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/armies/french_infantry_regiments.html

Hi

Next sets. I think to model the wider war, there are a couple of troop types which could be used for many nations. Just as suspect many of the 'British' and 'French' are ending up in other armies

Heavy Horse (French Line but sure would be close enough for others)

Command - mounted generals - they often wore whatever they fancied although some specific personality figures would certainly be nice

Grenadiers with the early bearskin - used by some French, Spanish, Imperialist units

Armoured Kuirassiers (with lobster pot helmets) used by the Imperialists, Bavarians and Danes - I ve tried Waterloo's Cromwell set but the horses and firing into each other poses dont sit right. Walking or trotting horses please

Mounted / dismounted Dragons with the Stocking hats

Garde Francais infantry - in all their glory which would also do for the similar Spanish Guards

Infantry in the ealier wide brimmed hats, still in use at the start of the war in Dutch, French and Saxon armies and no doubt others?

Its a fantastic range and I look forward to whatever comes next

cheers

PS the HaT Penisular British set is excellent

It is a pity that Strelets has wasted 3 of its precious WoSS slots with the unhistorical and inaccurate musketeers and pikemen. A waste of sculpting talent, too.

Let's try to get a reasonably comprehensive British v. French before moving on to other nations.

Sorry, that I can´t share some positions....

I am interested personally neither in generic troops neither in endless new french or british troops.

Reason 1 - really my very own criteria
Before Strelets has begun its wonderful WSS range, I had already invested much time in conversions of the generic figures of Warlords Black Powder sets, which afford many studies and still more hard time-consuming uniform- and hat-transformations.
I won´t do it again with more troops in 1/72!

Reason 2
None of the big land-battles in Europe of the WSS was fought only with british and french troops.
The british contingent of land-forces was quite limited in Europe and need always other alliance-troops
So no battle can be historical acurate refight only with french and british troops - so neither war-gamers, neither diorama-builders would been happy with only these nations....
And austrian troops participated on far more battles than the british! A WSS-range without them will been only a very amputated torso or a sad glimpse of WSS

Reason 3
I can share most of the wishes for ordinary troops, but not to have more and more very special and very limited regiments who wore uniforms which were often also changing during the war and so are useful only for some battles: Example: Royal Scots/Northern British Greys
I share too Minuteman´s idea of combined fusilier and grenadier-sets in ratio 6:3 with one NCO-figure and 2 drummers which pleased certainly more war-gamers

Finally
I appreciate very much Strelets richness of poses and passed production, but confronted with the consequence not to receive other belligrents from Strelets I would like to prefer only one set of a national infantry than 3 or more from the same kind.

at last only an idea:
1 civilian-figure in every foot-troop set will been fantastic in regard that all armies of this period had still a big amount of civilians in their ranks and supply-train

least
all my 3 figure-suppliers have confirmed me that all WSS-sets had very good sales figures and already 2 or more shopkeeper-orders and actually quite limited stocks - only the set 234 less sales

I said "first" not only. I'd like to be able to finish each army I start.

Not all nations warrant dedicated sets given the generic nature of many uniforms. Items like cuirassiers, for instance, could be made for one nation and used for 2. British infantry repaints to Dutch and Danish.

No good planning how sets could be done where they have already been done. 3 British infantry sets was perplexingly excessive, but welcome. 3 out of 5 French sets are beautiful duds, so leaving them short by comparison.

Strelets is proving wayward and willful in this range's output. Sometimes that works out. Sometimes not. The quality is there and I am so grateful that we have such beautifully sculpted figures for this period. I just hope for rational and accurate choices, rather than pretty, but pretty useless stuff.