Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
French Musketeers Marching

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=372&M=F

These look very nicely sculpted indeed. I still say matchlocks have no place in a WSS French Army, but a couple of boxes will be acquired for conversion.

Do we think we're looking at too short barrels again?

Re: French Musketeers Marching

These are very nicely-sculpted figures in good poses, which are just right for forming wargame-style units. They are let down only by the short muskets (again). As I think I noted a while ago, this is less of an issue with the figures who have their muskets at high port/recover, where the bayonet is attached; based on the photographs the effect that the bayonet has in elongating the whole weapon may I hope make these perfectly useable without conversion. Those without bayonets will require some work. The musket lock should be useable for my purposes with just a little trimming with a sharp modelling knife.

All being well I have some boxes arriving in the post this morning from Drum and Flag - who seem to have sold an initial allocation of c.20 boxes very quickly indeed - so will then be able to see these fellows close up and in the round. Work on them may start later this afternoon!

Incidentally, as I have a lot of French Fusiliers already, these new figures are likely to be pressed into service as a couple of battalions of second-line French infantry; and a couple of regiments of first-line Bavarian infantry (Leib and Kurprinz). I'll experiment with a couple of ideas I have for conversion of some to promote them to become Bavarian grenadiers.

Well done to Strelets for keeping the production lines rolling. I await the British cavalry with eager anticipation!

I too find them very well engraved. A little work in terms of the length of the muskets. And again, I look forward to the British cavalry. But I look forward to the Highlanders in attack of the Boer War. Otherwise, again

Bravo Strelets.

Edwardian

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=372&M=F

These look very nicely sculpted indeed. I still say matchlocks have no place in a WSS French Army, but a couple of boxes will be acquired for conversion.

Do we think we're looking at too short barrels again?
Just to follow up on Edwardian's observation regarding barrel length of the Musketeer's muskets:

I have just received five sets of these great figures courtesy of Drum and Flag, and have been able to have a close look at them. They are very nicely produced, a little less chunky than some of the fusiliers, and with very little flash. The command sprue figures are exceptional (although the flag is too small, not a major problem to modify). Poses are very good, with just a minor gripe about one of the marching figures; he is keeling over to the left, requiring a little hot then cold water treatment to straighten up. Perhaps he was indulging in a little too much vin rouge d'ordinaire before being ordered to march…??

The musket is very slightly below shoulder height when measured against the figure, and with bayonet attached is slightly above head height, from base to hat. This may not be quite as long in the barrel as the real thing but looks perfectly OK to me. As shown in the photos, the musketeers have large cartridge boxes, a priming bottle, sword and bayonet scabbard. This I think is slightly better than having a figure also carrying marching pack, bread bag etc.

The musket lock is clearly modelled as a matchlock. Depending on how far you want to go you could trim the doglock to become a flintlock pan, and add a very small flintlock hammer using green stuff etc; or, in order to save your eyesight and patience, you could simply keep the lock as it is and 'pretend' it's a flintlock. Where the figures are carrying match cords these are small and easy trimmed off.

Overall impressions are very positive. Thanks both to Strelets for the figures, and to Drum and Flag (and the British Royal Mail) for a prompt delivery.

Pointless to make another word about the fusils again, it's of no avail .... But why include only four poses representing marching soldiers and another four poses of clearly advancing (attacking), not marching, soldiers in a set called "... on the march"?

Master Kunz
Pointless to make another word about the fusils again,

But yet, you do.

Good dog.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Master Kunz
Good dog.

:slightly_smiling_face:

There are a lot of nice people on this forum. Sadly, you're not one of them.
Your constant complaining, rudeness & invective are like a pain in my teeth (NB clever allusion to a certain infamous dentist circa 1940s you seem to share a name with).

seem to recall that some French regiments were quite late in getting flintlocks in place of matchlocks due to production, distribution problems and the the reluctance of certain colonels of regiments to pay for replacements, so i'm very happy about this latest set, on way from Hannants UK, the command figures look great, again congrats to Strelets for bringing out superb models for WSS, looking forward to release of forthcoming British cavalry set and i trust many more sets for the period, keep up the great work

as to dogs, have owned and trained many in my lifetime and have found they are more intelligent, polite, and respectful than a certain poster

stay safe in these troubled times
cheers Old John

old John
seem to recall that some French regiments were quite late in getting flintlocks in place of matchlocks due to production, distribution problems and the the reluctance of certain colonels of regiments to pay for replacements, so i'm very happy about this latest set,
cheers Old John

Hello, John,

interesting. And I still think some work with knife & glue on the firearms is a solution for those who can't live with the existing configuration.

ruff-ruff, donald

I'm very pleased with most of the poses in this set, and in fact the better ones in my view are the advancing poses....which do make up 50% of this set (as Master Kunz has validly pointed out, in his own style). But all are perfectly useable for tabletop formations.

I'd also question whether even the keenest-eyed wargamer would spot that these are matchlocks rather than flintlocks seen from more than about 12-18 inches above the table. Having spent ages modifying firearms (barrels and locks) on some Redbox Renaissance Italian infantry in the past, for the sake of expediency I've decided not to play around too much with the locks on these muskets, and will simply put a blob of gunmetal paint in the required area and keep it at that!

More sets with these poses, which are so good for wargames units, will be most welcome.