Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Masters for British Cavalry

As already noted in recent posts, this looks like an excellent set with very good sculpting of troopers, officers and horses. The issue of whether or not it is accurate to include pistol armed men in this 'British' set has also been debated; personally, I don't have a problem with this, and the trooper with his pistol help upright is a useful pose for a picquet etc.

The set may also serve as Danish, Dutch and other cavalry of the period with a suitable paint job. Purists may argue that these important combatants of the WoSS deserve their own figures; in an ideal world this might be so, and Strelets might yet produce these; but if not, this set is sufficiently versatile to provide these. The officers also look good as senior field officers.

However: It is pushing the limits a bit to imagine this set providing French line cavalry, or for that matter Spanish cavalry. There is still a need for a set of French 'Light Cavalry' sculpted on similar lines to this 'British set', with perhaps one or two figures holding/firing carbines included.

Clearly, the new set does not provide a basis for easy conversion to Bavarian or Austrian K(C)uirassiers. This is also not to mention the much needed French dragoons. So I would suggest a need for three more WoSS cavalry sets with masters that we have not so far seen.

On the assumption that production quality and the scaling of figures and horses is on par with the WoSS sets so far released by Strelets, this set represents in my view one of the most useful 18th century cavalry sets yet produced by anyone in 1/72 plastic. It deserves to be popular and to sell very well.

Re: Masters for British Cavalry

I totally agree with what Minuteman said. Just a clarification though, it seems to me that Strelets has revealed some Grenadiers on French horses. Therefore, we already have the opponents of these very beautiful English riders.

Yes, you are correct Zouave72, and Strelets have shown us some excellent master figures for French elite cavalry; I may have missed the French cavalry horse(s) master though.

The point that I am proposing is that Strelets should also produce some line cavalry for the French army of the early 1700s (and also, if possible, for their allies: Spain, Bavaria and Cologne). This is necessary to allow the WoSS range to be representative of the most important troop types.

To illustrate my point, please consider the breakdown of the French/Bavarian/Spanish army given in the Order of Battle for Ramillies in 1706. At this battle the combined strength of this army in mounted troops was around 130-132 squadrons. Of these, 13 squadrons were French Maison du Roi, and only one of these (about 150 men) were mounted Grenadiers. So, perhaps 10-15% (allowing for larger squadrons) of the total mounted arm was French Household cavalry.

At the same battle, about 46 squadrons were French line cavalry, and 15 squadrons were French line dragoons.

About 30 squadrons were Spanish cavalry or mercenary horse employed by Spain. Bavarian and allied 'German' cavalry made up another 27 squadrons.

From this, you can see that although the French Maison du Roi were important, they were a minority part of the army of the time.

And the Horse Grenadiers were a small part of this: in Napoleonic terms, similar (as a proportion of the army) to the Gendarmes d'Elite of the Emperor Napoleon I.

I agree totally with previous comments on the lovely looking British cavalry set, and a thought just struck me these figures as well as the British infantry sets will be ideal for several small scenarios on the gaming table , for example the Jacobite Risings in early 1700s using Strelets Jacobite sets as opponents,
for sources see Helion Books Century of the Soldier Series for battle descriptions, uniform guides etc, also the cavalry could be ok for Hanoverians and other nations in WSS as someone suggested

getting impatient to get hold of all these forthcoming sets , as i love this period

cheers Old John

I am missing painful austrians and bavarians... fusiliers, grenadiers and cavalry.

A WSS-range without them is a torso without arms and legs, a weak smell of WSS .... a 2/3 empty glas

sansovino
I am missing painful austrians and bavarians... fusiliers, grenadiers and cavalry.

A WSS-range without them is a torso without arms and legs, a weak smell of WSS .... a 2/3 empty glas
I am also hopeful that Strelets may continue to add to this excellent range of figures, and include some sets for Bavarians, Austrians and perhaps others. I also agree that a glass 2/3 empty is much less exciting than a glass which is being filled up!

Regarding the ongoing pistol debate, here is another thought; a 'common-sense' one really. Given that many cavalrymen of all European nations carried more than one firearm - sometimes three (two pistols and a carbine), why did this continue all the way through the 18th century? Firearms were expensive items and this expenditure must have been for a purpose….so cavalrymen would have used these weapons, from time to time, even if not in a full scale cavalry charge perhaps. And after all, the charge was a rarity; they would spend much more of their time patrolling, providing guards for foraging parties, and providing outposts for the army, and also skirmishing (small actions). And some of this activity would have been on foot, where a carbine or short musket + a pistol for back-up becomes a more important weapon than a sword. Less 'glamorous' jobs, but all important.

For the Pistols, they are present on the front of the horse saddles. So the riders can use them. It is not strictly forbidden. It all depends on the context of your diorama: melee combat, sword fight, long-distance rifle fight, ambush, skirmish, other combat . . . There are no rules other than killing your enemy, nothing else! So depending on the opponents of the superb riders - horses, I will or not use the shooters with the pistol. Now I don't know what I would do with it. .

Let's not get hung up about pistols. The point is a narrow one; it's not the ideal battlefield weapon and is probably over represented in this set. I will use one or two and convert the others. A point to bear in mind when designing future sets, but no biggy.

I find it hard to tell from the pictures of the masters, but what I think I am seeing is cutaway laced coats over laced waistcoats. This would put them before cuirasses were re-introduced, and than suits me. Perhaps not all regiments had lace, or lace on waistcoats, but I haven't looked into and definitive answer are often not possible for this period.

I have a nasty feeling that the gauntlets cover the cuffs, not the other way around, which is not what most illustrations seem to show.

Thus, I find myself in agreement with Minuteman. The reason I bought so many of the British infantry sets is because I am using them for Dutch and Danish infantry too. Doubtless I will do likewise with the cavalry. Query, though, whether all that lace is consistent with, say, Dutch cavalry. Could some other nations be best represented by French

There is, as Minutemen says, a case for:

- French Horse (to give them the equivalent British designation) or cavalerie legere, plain coats, liveried trumpeters, carbines

- French Dragoons: With musket, gaiters and cap

- Austrian or Bavarian cuirassiers, I'm sure either would do for the other. Head swap a hat and you can have Dutch, too.

To give the English/British at least one more set to match their manifold French enemies, one might consider doing the Royal North British Dragoons (later known as the Scots Grays) mounted in their mitre caps.

Samogon
To give the English/British at least one more set to match their manifold French enemies, one might consider doing the Royal North British Dragoons (later known as the Scots Grays) mounted in their mitre caps.
The Scots Greys received their mitre 1706/07 after the battle of Ramilles. Their last action in the war was the battle of Malplaquet in september 1709.

So they wore the mitre in this war only 2,5 years. Not very long, so I think your proposal is very special and time-limited, sorry. Other troops which can be used for more battles and fights seems me more attractive....

Agreed!!! The British cavalry set will serve many purposes and really does not need a set of RNB Horse. On this occasion (as a Brit) I don't care how many other nations' sets are produced by Strelets..just so long as it includes, at the least, French Light (Leger) cavalry and French Dragoons..keep those French horsemen coming….

Bound to agree again.

The Scots Greys with caps would be contemporary with Horse with the cuirass, son would not fit with the Strelets set under discussion.

I recall illustrations of the RNB Dragoons of the period both with and without lace. Ditto Foot Guards, actually.