Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Firearms in battle

Very interesting further contributions on the pistol question, thank you. As I say, I'm not minded to exclude these poses, just limit the repeats in my ranks in favour of conversions to sword arms. It's perhaps more a question of a preference than a necessary correction, though, in an ideal world, set designers would bear in mind such feedback, as it's intended to be constructive.

As I understand it, and IIRC (never certain, these days) the cold steel doctrine was introduced by the Swedes and adopted by the English/British*, the French retaining the older tactical doctrine at this point in time.

Which brings me to the subject of French cavalry. While I am really, really thrilled at the prospect of a maison du roi set, with various units thereof represented, please, Strelets, do not make that the only French cavalry set. Please make a set for the far more numerous line "light" cavalry, the equivalent of the English troopers we're discussing here.

And mounted and dismounted French dragoons, of course!

* As I intend to represent the Blenheim/Ramillies end of the conflict, I will have English and Scottish, rather than British, regiments. Others, may represent units post the 1707 Act of Union, so will have British units. Sometimes in these posts, it's just easier to use the term British as a shorthand. I hope that will not offend.

Who you fought for is gloriously fluid in this period. For instance, while all soldiers of the same monarch, and uniformed similarly, English and Scottish troops are different establishments at the time of Ramillies, perhaps rather as British and Hanoverian troops are later in the Century. And then there is the question of who is paying you and under whose command you fight; more Scottish regiments fought in Dutch pay and under Dutch command than fought in Queen Anne's pay and under her officers. IIRC the Danes there fought in Dutch service, too.

Re: Bank Holiday Present

Good figures and best strelets horses.

Absolutely superb set, on par with the Revell Austrian 7 Years War Cavalry. Now you will have to produce the Maisson set, and really great artillery for both sides. To not would be too cruel{:-))

Yesterday's Hero

That title will make antipodeans of a certain age hum a JPY tune and leave the rest of you wondering what I am on about (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVSEiveFY7g).

All the discussion of the pistol-wielding figures above got me looking at those particular poses again (darned nice figures) and the one second from the left on the second row is quite familiar. In fact he is a lot like a figure in the Zvezda Swedish Dragoons of the Great Northern War (some of which are amongst the figures that I am painting at present). This leads me to ponder, have sculptors who used to work for Zvezda now moved to Strelets' employ, particularly since the former "lost their way"--certainly as far as 1/72 figures (and we) are concerned?

'Yesterday's heroes' ride again? Strelets may, or may not, wish to enlighten us.

Whatever the case these are simply beautiful figures in keeping with Strelets' excellent standards.

James

Re: Yesterday's Hero

Dear James,

we don't use Zvezda's sculptors.
Best regards,

Strelets

As in many areas, there are rules, data from behind a desk with a cup of coffee or tea. And there's what happens on the ground during the fight. At this crucial moment, there is only one rule, one goal: "Kill your enemy, not to be killed". The rules are forgotten.

The saddle gun endowment is not thought of as a decoration, which the rider should not use. So if I represent a meling fight scene, the rider with his arson pistol has its place. If I represent a charging scene, the gun is not in order.

That's what I'm thinking of doing and that's just my opinion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I remember reading something, sometime, by a Napoleonic British cavalryman who basically said that You couldn't hit a barn door with the pistols so their only use was in a close quarters melee with enemy cavalry. The recommended technique was to press the muzzle into Your opponents face and pull the trigger. Nasty!

These are great looking figures, I'm not interested in the WSS but I'm very tempted to buy a box of these and then work out why I want them. The mixed look of some with swords, some with pistols and one with an ill researched and heraldically unsound flag might work well for me. I'll be having a look at them to see if one, or bits from several, of them wants to be a Hangman.

I have to say that I sense a real discipline problem here though. I have an ominous feeling that if I do buy this set then a couple of those guys armed with pistols are going to desert the army and pursue a career as highwaymen.

Graeme

I have to say that I sense a real discipline problem here though. I have an ominous feeling that if I do buy this set then a couple of those guys armed with pistols are going to desert the army and pursue a career as highwaymen.
Well, it was a volatile time and a dangerous one for travellers. And there's a theme here, what with the piratical French Grenadier wielding his cutlass and now highwaymen deserting from the English cavalry and lurking as well!! Not to mention the professionally bloodthirsty mercenary Irish, Scots, Swiss and others mentioned above....All very colourful from the (relative) safety of lockdown in the second decade of the 21st century.:slightly_smiling_face:

I had a reminder of how relatively lawless life could be. In the same era the pioneering Stockton and Darlington Railway was being built in the North East of England, there was a village on the banks of the river Tees near Stockton that still made its living from plundering any vessel that got stuck on a sandbank.

ATO

Edwardian
I had a reminder of how relatively lawless life could be. In the same era the pioneering Stockton and Darlington Railway was being built in the North East of England, there was a village on the banks of the river Tees near Stockton that still made its living from plundering any vessel that got stuck on a sandbank.
Of course there are contemporary plunderers worse than any in history. I'll mention the ATO.....

donald

Re: ATO

Australian Taxation Office?

Differing approaches to tax are interesting. When I lived as an ex-pat, I was lucky being a Brit, because HMRC was content for me to be taxed on the basis of my residence, provided I intended to be abroad for at least a couple of years. My Canadian friends could get their tax authorities to do the same, but only if they had severed links with Canada; burnt their house down and shot their dog before leaving. Worst off, however, were those from the US, because Uncle Sam taxes based on citizenship, not residence or domicile. There is nowhere the IRS won't follow them. So much for live free or die.

Edwardian
Australian Taxation Office?

Yes, an attempt at levity as WW2 is being re-fought (above).

donald

Yes, I suspect that tax payers the world over would share your wry humour!

Edwardian
Wasn't me!

My village was on the coast not the river. And I know nothing of tunnels under Winkie's Castle or anything coming in on the cobles besides cod and lobster.

Your mention of the Stockton and Darlington pleased me greatly. We've been seeing lots of railway documentaries here lately and most of them seem to think that world history started with the #*$@&^% "Rocket".

I probably should confess that I don't always give Trevithick his due though.

Me, I’m more interested in the throwaway comment by our hosts above, that they don’t use the Zvezda sculptors. Makes me wonder what happened to them.

But I am Relaxed who sculpts, as long as they do a good job. And the latest Strelets figures are looking very good indeed