Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why are we passionate about 1:72 scale miniatures?

Hi everyone. It is so interesting reading about how you all fell in love with 1:72 miniatures. As a 9 year old boy in Malta in the late 60s early 70s I got hooked on these miniatures thanks to Airfix and Atlantic & the stories my dad and grandpa used to tell me about their experience of WW2 during our walks near the RAF airfields in Malta. I used to spend blissful hours trying to recreate with my soldiers war/ historic films that I would have watched (Where Eagles Dare, Ben Hur, Spartacus, A Bridge Too Far, Waterloo, Guns of Navarrone, Zulu Dawn, Robin Hood, Sudan, March Or Die, Green Berets and so many others).

As I grew older this passion drew me close to History and increased my interest to follow contemporary conflicts: Vietnam war, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, Israeli-Arab conflict, Falklands, wars in Angola, Mozambique, Turkish invasion of Cyprus. I always used to crave to have soldiers to re-enact these conflicts. Unfortunately to this day for some reason manufacturers still hesitate to produce sets relating to these conflicts. I think these will be highly popular as they relate to our youth and they would bring so many memories.

I'm so thankful to all companies which over the years produced so many sets of soldiers (and military accessories) relating to diverse eras and conflicts. You put so much fun into our lives. I'm especially gratefull to Strelets for the many beautiful and variant sets that they are producing. My only appeal would be not to ignore the 70s/80s conflicts i referred to above as that period is part of our life. Moreover, there are certain other important historic conflicts which for some unknown reason have been ignored: Franco Prussian War, English Civil War, UN Troops, Mexican Revolutionary wars, Royal Navy personnel, Spanish Civil War. I'm sure that sets relating to such conflicts will enhance our passion to this hobby as they will fill the gaps in our beloved hobby.

Best Regards to all and keep well