Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WW2!

Giorgius
Yes please some Italians with sun helmets for North Africa campaign and some Vichy troops in North Africa (opening scenes from the Film Casablanca come to mind).
Considering the large numbers of Vichy troops that were in action against the allies in North Africa, Middle East and Madagascar they should be considered. It is a shame that they are always sidelined in favour of the free French who were never in large numbers. Vichy forces did tie up a large number of allied troops when they were desperately needed. Clearly, it is an issue in France but Vichy existed and should not be painted out because for a minority want it swept under the carpet.

You can also throw in the Vichy-Thai war 1940-41 as well!

I fully agree. And it is the making of such niche subjects, like Vichy, in the North African campaigns, that make our hobby so interesting. When a company makes such a subject (may be a couple of sets) for us it is like making a limited edition of the item. So I will dream on that some day along with Eight Army, Africa Corps, US Marines, SAS, Arabs, Anzacs, British tank drivers in summer uniform, we will finally get Vichy.Then the picture will be complete.

Hello everyone, I hope you are healthy. Just a word. Watch out for the movies. For financial reasons and to correspond with the conventional wisdom of the general public, the cinema shows us partially or totally false uniforms. I saw Casablanca. It is a masterpiece of American and global cinema. But the uniforms are either false or anachronistic. In terms of the accuracy of the uniforms, a series of small British books (Osprey) is quite accurate, in its represented. Past films and films of the present are not or rather unclear as to the historical reality and the unifomological reality. I'm very wary !!!

RCD
Giorgius
Yes please some Italians with sun helmets for North Africa campaign and some Vichy troops in North Africa (opening scenes from the Film Casablanca come to mind).
Considering the large numbers of Vichy troops that were in action against the allies in North Africa, Middle East and Madagascar they should be considered. It is a shame that they are always sidelined in favour of the free French who were never in large numbers. Vichy forces did tie up a large number of allied troops when they were desperately needed. Clearly, it is an issue in France but Vichy existed and should not be painted out because for a minority want it swept under the carpet.

You can also throw in the Vichy-Thai war 1940-41 as well!
Another word on historical realities. I urge you to read this little Wikipedia article, it seems to me pretty well done in terms of accounting for Vichy's strengths. The plethora of soldiers fighting against Anglo-American allies is a decoy. Especially since the landing had been prepared by the envoys of the Generals de Gaulle and Girault. Many Vichy soldiers converted and occupied strategic points for the allies. This has also created an unnamed confusion.

« The Vichy Army, also known as the Armistice Army, is the army that was placed under the authority of the Vichy Government after the armistice of 22 June 1940 following the defeat of France against Germany at the beginning of the Second World War. Following the armistice, France was allowed to retain only a "transitional" army of 100,000 to 120,000 men in the metropolis and more forces within the French Empire: more than 220,000 men in Africa — 140,000 of them in AFN, 65,000 in AOF, 16,000 in AEF and Cameroon —, 14,000 in Madagascar and Djibouti , 37,700 in the mandates of Syria and Lebanon between 63,000 and 90,000 in Indochina, a 60,000-strong navy and a small 80,000-strong Air Force. Symbol of French sovereignty that justifies in the eyes of the Vichy regime an increasingly extensive collaboration with the victor, the Armistice Army is partly the result of this collaboration while being the means by which Vichy defends its neutrality vis-à-vis the Allies and the Axis forces. »

Best regards

I second Desert War Italians.

LRDG/SAS , Italians for the desert yes, the Waterloo ones are a bit wooden, Africa Korp heavy weapons yes yes yes, I have no need for the French, but understand the gap, Africa Korp tank crew I hope Orion do as well as they seem to have done the Brits.

Don't forget missing pieces on the Eastern Front and Balkans. There are still no sets of Hungarians in uniforms suitable for the summer, or any Slovaks, Bulgarians or Greeks. The various partisan sets out there aren't suitable for Polish, Greek or Yugoslav partisans or their Chetnik or Ustasha opponents. Mars made a set of Cossacks in German service, but they are dismounted - ones on ponies would be needed too. In fact, Soviet Cossacks would be useful since the Revell set is hard to find and the Strelets RKKA Cavalry set doesn't have Cossacks.

I agree. Remember also Albanian, Norwegian, Dutch, Yugoslav, Belgian and Romanian armies. What a dream of re-creating German invasions of these countries. Obviously in case of Romania to have troops of a German ally in Eastern Europe. Hopefully, these armies are taken I no account.