Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Friday evening here

Yes, you want them. I mentioned it before. British. Much better researched in terms of historical accuracy. Much better proportioned in terms of anatomy. The French, on the other hand, serious historical mistakes (especially as far as those "musketeers" are concerned), ridiculous proportions when it comes to anatomy, especially for the cavalry. Heads are much too big in comparison with the bodies, hats are to small, too high in comparison with the heads. Pseudo "trumpet" (just a stick with a bell, so ridiculous). Obviously, Strelets want to please their Anglo-Saxon masters by producing caricatures of the French. This will be rewarded, be sure. The few shills and lickspittles here are NOT those who decide on Strelets's fate.

If you want to know what good historical research and proper anatomy are look at Zvezda's GNW range.

Now, let's talk about those "Mousquetaires du Roi".

Nice, but I think WSS French cavalry hats should be of more or less the same design as British cavalry hats, i.e. lower and wider. I have the impression that the elevated design was typical more of the 1720s to 1730s than of the WSS (as sometimes shown by Delaistre and Parrocel).

Second, to my taste, the fusil looks a little short again, more like a carbine/mousqueton. By the WSS, Mousquetaires du Roi were armed with fusils whose barrel length was c. 115 cm, as opposed to carbine/mousqueton barrels which were c. 95/96 cm long. Total lengths of the fusils used by the Mousquetaires du Roi and the carbines/mousquetons used by the Gardes du Corps can be calculated from surviving originals:

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/gazette-des-armes/numero-42-octobre-1976/page-14-15-texte-integral

As for the Grenadiers à cheval. Those stiffened caps are another feature illustrated by Delaistre and Parrocel, i.e. post-WSS sources. Manesson-Mallet (1695) has hanging bags as for dragoons. So what was really worn during the WSS?

http://warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com/2008/07/french-grenadiers.html

"Manesson-Mallet (1695) has hanging bags as for dragoons."

Correction: The artist is Nicolas Guérard. Still, 1695.

With such gorgeous cavalrymen, how could one not be impressed?

Such quality, such prolific output. You are marvellous Strelets.

(Happy to wait for the completed images of coming sets of Napoleonics--and excited at the prospect)

Thanks, Strelets! Beautiful cavalry. Keep up the good work. :+1:

Top banana

Well done again, Strelets

SYW envy

I would just hope that some manufacturer, sometime, produces SYW cavalry with this amount of historical accuracy & this attractive modelling.

Well done, Strelets.

donald