Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Enough is as good as a feast

Graham Korn

So I'll take the liberty of broadening the questiom; What have you got in excess and what is now running dangerously low?

Paint. I use almost nothing but Vallejo & normally buy it from the LHS (which I can still visit). However, it's running short due to supply issues & my 70.984 Flat Brown is dangerously low, for example.

Figures. I have some boxes (including Strelets' ones) on order & I hope they'll get here this week.

donald

Going through all my stuff I would have to say accessories.
I have more fences,stone walls,barricades,lincoln logs etc.that I could ever use.
It seemed like a good idea at the time to get all these things but I think I overdid it.
Still a lot of fun though. All the best! Cappy

I find it's uually consumables like emery boards and the like, I pick them up in our local supermarket, so I throw them in the trolley and always end up with lots.

The new item on the list is bicarbonate of soda. This is my new wonder stuff. I used to use builder's sand for basing but I saw a guy on Youtube talking about Bicarb, so I tried it as a basing material and with 1/72nd scale figures it is a much more 'in scale' solution. Plus if you mic it with Superglue it goes off immediately, goes rock solid, and once you brush the excess off is paintable without anything else needing doing.

What do you use emery boards for?

Filing and polishing. I don't just do soft plastic men, I do all sorts and emery boards are useful for cleaning up, mould lines on hard plastic, removing sporue marks and a dozen other jobs.

Steve Pickstock

The new item on the list is bicarbonate of soda. This is my new wonder stuff. I used to use builder's sand for basing but I saw a guy on Youtube talking about Bicarb, so I tried it as a basing material and with 1/72nd scale figures it is a much more 'in scale' solution. Plus if you mic it with Superglue it goes off immediately, goes rock solid, and once you brush the excess off is paintable without anything else needing doing.
I have to find this video. This sounds like a potential game-changer technique.

donald

Paint dog
Steve Pickstock

I have to find this video. This sounds like a potential game-changer technique.

donald
Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHhW1XOm2U

I thought the one that I saw first might be Black Magic Crafts - but the guy talks too much and does too little for me to watch one of his vids all the way through.

It's quite simple - get a pot of Bicarbonate of Soda, and some cheap super-glue - the ten small tubes for a quid or something like that.

Pour some of the Bicard into a tray or bowl.

Glue your miniature to the base, made sure the glue has gone off, and drip some super glue onto the figure base and place the miniature into the tray so that the base is covered by Bicarb. Obviouly keep the superglue off the figure - I tend to do patches on the base. It's useful for covering the edge of the pudding base.

It goes off almost immediately. Give it a minute and then brush any excess Bicarb off the base and figure. If the material has gove pover the side while it is still fresh you can carve it off, or file it down using emery boards.

Be careful, this stuff sticks like **** to a blanket, but as far as I am concerned in terms of scale it beats sand hands down.

Steve, I thank you.

As, for some reason, I seem to have a little time on my hands, I'll give this a shot this week.

donald