Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Linear a #020

Alessandro and Baratheon,

As fellow watchers of developments on linear a's website, have you spied the first master for set #020? Isn't it a lovely looking figure?

Minoans are a bit early for my historical interests, but I'd almost be tempted to get a set just to see and admire the figures!

James

Re: Linear a #020

Minoans definitely interesting but also look forward to 037 Neanderthals v Denisovans v Homo Sapiens and 011 6th century Byzantine royalty. I just wish somebody would cover the Byzantines properly, especially, 11tth and 12th century to fight Normand in Italy.

Hi James,

As you say, I am always looking at their website and my astonishment is always increasing when I see their masters. I agree with you,the Minoan lady looks wonderful, and as I said before I am looking forward to buying some of the new Teutoburg legionaries.

Stay safe,

Ale

The cow's too big

Sorry. I don't want to come across as one of those pompous know-it-alls who pontificate on "too many cuff buttons" etc but the bull, the bull jumpers are leaping over, is too big......unless it's an aurochs & a giant economy sized one at that.

I think the Minoan wall painting it's based on also has the out of scale bovine so Linear a have copied their source well. I'm not sure how I could actually use these figures but they are just cool.

One of my favourite armies is my Mycenaean one. It's mainly Caesar & Newline but I think I could find room for some Minoans.....perhaps part of Idomeneus' contribution to the Achaean attack on Troy?

And speaking of which, the "priestess" figure might make a great Helen. If she existed, she would undoubtedly have worn one of the fashionable open-bodice dresses loved by Minoan women of fashion. The figure would make a fantastic goal for my Mycenaeans fighting their Hittite enemies (again Caesar & Newline) , if you agree that Troy, as a Hittite ally, would arguably have been a more or less Hittite city. Don't get me started with identifying the mythic Amazons with the beardless Hittites......

At any rate, it's pretty well a "done-deal" that I'd buy this set.

donald

Re: The cow's too big

Paint dog
Sorry. I don't want to come across as one of those pompous know-it-alls who pontificate on "too many cuff buttons" etc but the bull, the bull jumpers are leaping over, is too big......unless it's an aurochs & a giant economy sized one at that.

I think the Minoan wall painting it's based on also has the out of scale bovine so Linear a have copied their source well. I'm not sure how I could actually use these figures but they are just cool.

One of my favourite armies is my Mycenaean one. It's mainly Caesar & Newline but I think I could find room for some Minoans.....perhaps part of Idomeneus' contribution to the Achaean attack on Troy?

And speaking of which, the "priestess" figure might make a great Helen. If she existed, she would undoubtedly have worn one of the fashionable open-bodice dresses loved by Minoan women of fashion. The figure would make a fantastic goal for my Mycenaeans fighting their Hittite enemies (again Caesar & Newline) , if you agree that Troy, as a Hittite ally, would arguably have been a more or less Hittite city. Don't get me started with identifying the mythic Amazons with the beardless Hittites......

At any rate, it's pretty well a "done-deal" that I'd buy this set.

donald
It has been suggested by scholars that the cretan bulls were indeed aurochs crosses.

And it doesn't matter too much to me because my Minoans slot into a 'Heroic age/Dark Ages Greek project that I have going on when the men and bulls were heroic and the Gods were nervous.

Steve Pickstock
a 'Heroic age/Dark Ages Greek project that I have going on when the men and bulls were heroic and the Gods were nervous.

LOL.

I'm not overly interested in Fantasy per se but the Bronze Age lends itself to such crossovers.

I've devised a bunch of what I call "Event Cards" for my Bronze Age wargaming that mostly deal with the intervention of the gods....or at least the perceived intervention. Lots of fun.

donald

I started off with a love of the Greek myths and legends, I knew the Greek Gods before I knew all of the Apostles.

When Red Box released their Amazons it just sort of grew, first it was tracking down a suitable gryphon then a conversion for a Cerbrus, I already had a load of the Caesar Trojan war figures so they got dragged into it. The appearance of Centaurs in the mix was just the icing on the top.

The beauty of Dragon Rampant it is a very flexible set of rules, with a little thought you can do anything. Event cards sounds like a really good idea that would work in it.

What I would like to do is a Trojan War game/mini-campaign. Each force is a hero and his retinue, the events in Homer provide a good frame work and there's enough temper tantrums and fits of pique that virtually anyone could face off against anyone else.

James Fisher
Alessandro and Baratheon,

As fellow watchers of developments on linear a's website, have you spied the first master for set #020? Isn't it a lovely looking figure?

Minoans are a bit early for my historical interests, but I'd almost be tempted to get a set just to see and admire the figures!

James
Hi James,

You must have your browser home page set for Linear-a!

I am looking forward seeing the masters of all their upcoming sets. Set #037 (Neanderthal/Denisova/Sapiens) intrigues me the most. Most of all, I am anxious to buy the upcoming Roman legion set #017 (and later #018 most likely). Poses and sculpts look amazing.

Set #017, and some other mini-sets on my wish-list are at status 6-7 - so I'm hoping they'll be available for sale by the summer. We still don't know how many figures will be in the mini-sets though...

I love the Linear A figures. Very exciting figures in unusual periods. I like the Minoan
figures, and wish Linear-A would make Mycenean and Trojan War figures. I'd like one set dedicated
to Greek heroes and another to Trojan heroes. Trojan War chariots would also be great.

Dear Baratheon,

Not quite, but I do check the site regularly, particularly as there are often new surprises!

I had not twigged that the progress bar on so many sets has reached 6–7, thanks for the pointer. That is exciting news. I am keen on the Romans, Carthaginians and, naturellement, the Napoleonics.

Cheers,

James