Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Figure ratios

For the 18th and 19th centuries, four to six figure bases seems to work well with most national organizations that have the battalions deployed in four roughly equal firing platoons. First World War armies seem to work best at 1:10, giving a "rifle platoon" of four figures, but in 1918 it starts to get complicated as more and more support weapons come into the line. So for WWII we use individual figures fo the rank and file and weapon teams of two or three (plus additional figures "attached", so a mortar team for example has the two men on the base and three others based separately but placed next to it). We play Battlegroup rules.

I've tried others but just can't get my head around three guys on a stand being a company with all its various weapons,(too much like boardgaming), or worse a tank being three or four - and and being unable to deploy in formation and make flanking maneuvers.

Interesting thread. I'm looking for a rules set for large WW2 battles where a figure ratio is in the region of 1:200 to 1:400 for figures and 1:20 to 1:50 for tanks. Anybody?

I use Carnage and Glory computer moderated rules. All my Napoleonic
Era Infantry is 4-6 to battalion and 4-6 Cavalry regiment, 1 gun
per battery. All units have their historical numbers painted on
the rear of the base such as the French "1/57 Ligne". I can keep
a record of battle honors for them by unit.