Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let those who have eyes see

At least we agree about one thing, there's no complete information about French mousquet for the period of the Spanish succession war, which leave the field open for many possibilities, according to the information available.

Of course I'm not contesting your information but it can't be considered a rule for WSS period, I've studied the french army and from the tactic and deployment you can understand what kind of weapons they have. And for me it was the short mousquet for sure. This short infantry mousquet existed for sure and long before WSS, there's no doubt about it. several sources confirm it.

Look at this amasing model,
a mousquet-revolver built like a colt pistol of the old west, with 5 shots !!! :

https://www.europeana.eu/portal/fr/record/2048001/Athena_Plus_ProvidedCHO_KIK_IRPA__Brussels__Belgium__AP_10374232.html

dated of 1632 !!!

Not only that but also with a silex platine, 78 years before it was adopted by the army !!! nobody could believe this if such model was not preserved in a museum, you will also notice the different size of all those mousquet on the other photos !

here are 2 mousquet for the 1700 period :

https://www.europeana.eu/portal/fr/record/2048001/Athena_Plus_ProvidedCHO_KIK_IRPA__Brussels__Belgium__AP_10374135.html?q=mousquet#dcId=1583517971499&p=2

but it look more a royal gift than a military model

So the lesson is : everything is possible !

Re: Let those who have eyes see

Let's agree to disagree. :upside_down_face:

Re: Modifying French Musketeers firing? Is this a solution?

Murat
Quick progress from masters to mouldings.

It would seem that once the masters are posted, then they are completed and not for alteration: i.e. not for changing; as the finished plastic figures still have the short-barreled 'muskets' that so many 'Forumners' picked up on.
I'm not expanding into the WSS (reluctantly: it's a time & space issue) so I don't have a dog in the fight.

But, if I was, and I found the short muskets to be anathema, I'd modify them: either remove & replace entirely, or simply add on the requisite mms.

I don't think I'm alone in having a very full 'bits box' with lots of muskets on redundant figures. I have, on many occasions, modified "inaccurate" figures in the past and I doubt I am alone in this practice.

OK, is this a solution or am I being naive?

Paint dog
Murat
Quick progress from masters to mouldings.

It would seem that once the masters are posted, then they are completed and not for alteration: i.e. not for changing; as the finished plastic figures still have the short-barreled \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'muskets\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' that so many \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Forumners\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' picked up on.
I\\\\\\\'m not expanding into the WSS (reluctantly: it\\\\\\\'s a time & space issue) so I don\\\\\\\'t have a dog in the fight.

But, if I was, and I found the short muskets to be anathema, I\\\\\\\'d modify them: either remove & replace entirely, or simply add on the requisite mms.

I don\\\\\\\'t think I\\\\\\\'m alone in having a very full \\\\\\\'bits box\\\\\\\' with lots of muskets on redundant figures. I have, on many occasions, modified \\\\\\\"inaccurate\\\\\\\" figures in the past and I doubt I am alone in this practice.

OK, is this a solution or am I being naive?
I think you have a point there, Paintdog. On the strength of the nice command figures (including the extra serjeants) in this set, which can add variety to my growing French and allied WoSS force made up of multiple sets of fusiliers, I've been looking again at this new set and my original attitude is softening somewhat. I too have a large bits box, and it just so happens that some forthcoming conversions using up some sets of old Revell Prussian SYW figures will release a few dozen 'spare' long musket barrels with bayonets; I can use these to modify these French musketeers, and a bit of trimming around the lock ie: taking away the match cords, will allow these to serve as flintlock-armed infantry. For variety, it will be good to have some French still with the older and larger cartridge box carried over the shoulder.

I may also convert some of these to serve as dismounted cavalrymen of the period, or dragoons with carbines. With the long coats it will not be obvious unless close up that gaiters and shoes painted a dark grey-black are not actually 'riding boots'.

All part of the fun of this hobby of ours.:relaxed:

Re: the Zvesda challenge

Minuteman

All part of the fun of this hobby of ours.:relaxed:

If it's not fun, it's not a hobby.

I'm currently smiling as I assemble large numbers of the somewhat fiddly Zvesda SYW grenadiers. Not to mention, cutting off mitres & gluing on the HaT extra tricornes.

I must admit the process is....challenging....but the final effect is pretty good.

I'm not persuaded by the "short musket theory", though the debate has made an interesting read. Since I am also unpersuaded that matchlocks would have made an appearance at Blenheim or Ramillies, let alone later, that is no great loss to me.

I'm with Minuteman, however, in thinking that Paint Dog is onto something with his conversion suggestion.

If flintlock barrels are added and the locks changed, I think there is a threefold gain. As Minuteman has said, it gets us some real "early war" fusiliers with the shoulder-belt cartridge box, and it also gets us some useful variety in command figures.

Third, as the figures also have examples of both horizontal and vertical pockets, it would allow us to supplement the figures in Set 236, giving us a second version for several poses within each pocket type. That could improve the look of the formations significantly.

In short, if converted to flintlocks, Set 234 confers many of the benefits of a second fusilier set, which, given that Set 235 appears to be dedicated to Grenadiers, is just as well.

Of course, I have to assume that battalions can carry a mix of cartridge box types in a single unit, as if a phased issue of replacements.

There is a limit to how many I'd want to convert, but I would certainly try a couple of boxes.