Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flag tassels: how to?

Great question. Some companies like HaT do put tassels on some of their empty flagpoles - perhaps not all. I've had some "fun" trying to wrap paper flags (I like to use sticky bumper sticker paper for my flags). Others put them on with their flag. The problem there is if you use paper flags (I do too) if you can cut away the flag you usually have to cut away the tassel, too.

I've used gold or yellow (or any appropriate color) thread when needed. Wrap it around the pole and stiffen it with glue. I've used tweezers to spread the ends. It can be tedious but the results are pretty good after the first few attempts. Hope this helps.

Hi, I haven’t tried myself but I understand that you can use twisted wire. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I'll give both a try & see how things turn out.

Found this on warflag.com:
To create pole cords you will need a few stands of copper wire (from a few feet of stripped speaker wire). Put a few strands together (the amount will depend on scale) and anchor one end of the bunch to your painting desk with a thumb tack (drawing pin). Hold the other end of the wires in the chuck of an electric screw driver or variable speed drill. Rotate the drill slowly while pulling out he slack and holding the bunch taught until the strands are tightly bound. What you should have at this point is something that looks remarkably like scaled down rope. Prime it black and dry brush the appropriate color. This also makes good reigns for chariots and horses etc. It keeps it shape well. For the French flags in the 18th century up to the American Revolution, don't use pole cords. They had scarves. For the War of Spanish Succession use the pole scarves displayed with the French of the American Revolution period (Small white strips above the colonels colors).

Regards Ned.

Ned
Found this on warflag.com:
To create pole cords you will need a few stands of copper wire (from a few feet of stripped speaker wire). Put a few strands together (the amount will depend on scale) and anchor one end of the bunch to your painting desk with a thumb tack (drawing pin). Hold the other end of the wires in the chuck of an electric screw driver or variable speed drill. Rotate the drill slowly while pulling out he slack and holding the bunch taught until the strands are tightly bound. What you should have at this point is something that looks remarkably like scaled down rope. Prime it black and dry brush the appropriate color. This also makes good reigns for chariots and horses etc. It keeps it shape well. For the French flags in the 18th century up to the American Revolution, don't use pole cords. They had scarves. For the War of Spanish Succession use the pole scarves displayed with the French of the American Revolution period (Small white strips above the colonels colors).

Regards Ned.
Ned, you are a marvel.

Thanks very much.

donald

Hello,
I also use thin copper wire for the flag ropes. 3-4 Wires twisted together are sufficient. At the ends I put a small drop of glue as a tassel. After drying, I tie the ropes to the flag and then paint them.

See my "Prussian Inf Shoulder Arms"-Contribution from 2019 as exampel. But I used only two wires for the prussian flag you can see there..