Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to simulate gun powder/explosions/ and fire/ for diorama

I have seen several solutions used but the one I like best is one I stole from someone else that uses clump foliage from Woodland scenics.

A year or so ago I began playing Cruel Seas by Warlord Games, MTB level naval warfare. To simulate the plumes of water from near misses and torpedo explosions I unwind a paper clip and glue one end to a plastic disc (a half of plastic disc in the case of the torpedo hit, so that I can place it against a model ship).

Next I take some pieces of the Woodland Scenics Clump foliage and glue it to the paper clip using superglue or Cyano Acrylate glue(CA), trying to create a towering column of water. Once this has dried I take cheap CA and working in a well ventilated area drip CA all over the clump foliage to solidify it and bind it all together.

Then I leave it for a bit.

When I come back to it, it has become a solid mass. Next I take it out into the yeard and spray it. Usually a light grey followed by a second spray of white. Usually that is enough but I may give it a light dry brush. Finally I paint the base to match the cloth we use the games.

It's a good technique, I first saw it used for coloured smoke, the supporting wire was left long and the smoke tailed off quite realistically. I have also used it to form the base of a wind elemental reflecting the little whirlwind of debris kicked up around its' 'feet'. It could also be used to simulate air-bursts.

It all depends on colours used blacks and earth colours for ground burst explosions with scatter material - twigs etc glued on the surface of the blast.

Re: How to simulate gun powder/explosions/ and fire/ for diorama

We had the ships out for a game tonight so I took a photo to show what I mean.

These were made exactly as described above.