Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Excitement

Georgius
I will name a few gaps: Vietnam war (Us Artillery, Green Berets, Australians, South
Koreans); American War of Independence; WW2: Bulgarian Army, Vichy, Greek & Albanian armies, Royal Navy Personnel; mounted Japanese army & with mules; French Foreign Legion with mules;Mexican Revolution; Franco Prussian war; Britain - US War 1812;Spanish soldiers of the Rif war; White Army re Russian civil war;British & Indian mutineers in the Indian mutiny.These are not a lot of sets that are required but I'm sure they close a lot of gaps in our beloved hobby and bring great excitement & joy to most of us. All producers keep up the good work. Each box you produce means so much to us.
Some great suggestions

1914 scottish infantry

I would have to pick the Mexican conflicts. 1860s with the French and early 20th century revolution depicting both sides.

WW2 LRDG but whole conflict , Monmouth and Sedgemoor.

WW II Late war german infantry with CAPS no helmets!!! And short boots with gaiters I'm tired of paint afrika korps grenadiers as regulars!!!

American Civil War Naval Sailors/Gunners including Landing Party figures in one set. One set of molds but produced in both Blue and Gray. They all wore the same uniforms.

The Monitor and Merrimac (CSS Virginia) battle of Hampton Roads changed naval history world wide ending the age and dominance of wooden vessels and beginning the introduction of Ironclads that led to todays fleets of steel. All easy, nice and neat on one war (1861 - 1865) for both coastal battles and river battles and the same easy uniforms for both topdeck and land fighting and just two colors - Blue and Gray.

Besides floating battles there were so many Naval Landing Parties attacking Coastal and Shoreline forts and batteries.

One set; two colors covers a whole new side of the ACW Range. And Ironclads are easy to make to float your Sailors on! Or do what Airfix did - one set made in Terracotta for both sides. Even simpler, yet!

War of Spanish Succession was my long miniature dream and now it´s coming true :)

Yes, Seven Years War (and War of Austrian Succession!) figures with more "life" and caracter than the Hat-outpoot would be nice. HaT sets also do not have kneeling firing figures, which I think ruins the image of a proper firing line. And the Zvezda Prussians seems too big and only grenadiers. I have bought very few SYW-figures because the range is too poorly covered. And for some reason I am not interested in the Austrian side...

For WAS and SYW I miss more and better Prussians (with german and british allies) together with French and Russians.

Just like their camels (which have appeared in several sets now), if Mr Strelets produced a set of generic mules (lets say 12 with 3-4 different poses) plus accessories which can be added to the body/saddle area such as blanket rolls, bags/sacks/baggage, small ammo or generic wooden boxes, heck even a disassembled small cannon, then these could be used as mules for their mounted FFL figures or as an additional supply train for use in any campaign from Colonial Africa to Arabia to WWII Far East and beyond, across a multitude of eras/dioramas...

As you said, Paint Dog, russian seven years war infantry would be exciting. There are some gaps which have to be filled in, I am referring to the ww1 in particular. Greek/romanian troops for the Salonika campaign, bulgarians, austro-hungarian infantry with helmets, italians, 1918 belgians...

Talking about the Napoleonic wars, russian army for general Suvorov in 1799 is still missing...

There would be another dream which I would like to share with you all, that is the French paratroopers for Indochina and the Bavarian soldiers for the Franco-Prussian war.These would be great!

And why not, some colonial british infantry in winter dress for the year 1845 and some romans for the 3rd century AD.

I must admit I am very excited for the new WSS range, thank you Strelets!

Highland infantry for the French and Indian war, plus Native Americans, French, militia.
Heavy weapons and artillery for US Marines in the Pacific. Irish and British for the 1798
rebellion. Indian Mutiny (1857) mutineers and loyal sepoys.

I'd love to see 1940 British, some decent Italians for the desert war, late Romans, 11th century Byzantines, Picts and Dark Age Irish.

I second the call for WW2 Italians: there are a handful of basic infantry sets but no Bersaglieri motor cycle troops which played a prominent and effective role in the Western Desert, also combat engineers (Guastatori) - the troops that finally cracked the defenses of Tobruk.

Stuart, Waterloo 1815 Set 034 "Italian Infantry Support Group" has some Bersaglieri cycle troops plus lots of other support weapons in their Set 040 "WWII Italian Infantry"

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1592

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2433

Actually what is needed for Italians in both WW2 and '30s conflicts such as the Spanish Civil War are just ordinary soldiers with rifles which composed the vast majority of their forces due to production problems but are precious few in 1/72 plastic.

I agree Steve, the Waterloo 1815 sets have an odd mix, ordinary troops, Blackshirts and Bersaglieri. The other sets are paratroopers. Old Airfix is odd with ties and definitely European theatre. Some of the Italeri/Esci Alpini can be slightly coverted. All in all not a good solid set of basic Desert War infantry.

Re: Bersaglieri

SteveO
Stuart, Waterloo 1815 Set 034 "Italian Infantry Support Group" has some Bersaglieri cycle troops plus lots of other support weapons in their Set 040 "WWII Italian Infantry"

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1592

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2433

Actually what is needed for Italians in both WW2 and '30s conflicts such as the Spanish Civil War are just ordinary soldiers with rifles which composed the vast majority of their forces due to production problems but are precious few in 1/72 plastic.
I'm aware of those sets, as well as the Caesar one: the support group as all of TWO Bersaglieri figures while the infantry set, although intended intended to be ETO can be painted in desert colors has precisely none... Hardly comprehensive coverage of a major troop type and not enough to form a wargaming unit by any stretch of the imagination.

Baratheon
Just like their camels (which have appeared in several sets now), if Mr Strelets produced a set of generic mules (lets say 12 with 3-4 different poses) plus accessories which can be added to the body/saddle area such as blanket rolls, bags/sacks/baggage, small ammo or generic wooden boxes, heck even a disassembled small cannon, then these could be used as mules for their mounted FFL figures or as an additional supply train for use in any campaign from Colonial Africa to Arabia to WWII Far East and beyond, across a multitude of eras/dioramas...
Here here !!!!

Haron has hinted that Redbox might be making the sets I'd normally ask for so the one set I'd pick for Strelets to make would be Prussian Uhlans in kollets and if there are czapka headswaps on the sprue even better. They haven't been done before by anyone else so if Strelets make them I'll be buying from Strelets.

The most interesting thing about the various replies is that we are in no way at saturation level at the moment. So many good ideas.

For me (ie personal opinion), the stand out gap would have to be the Indian Mutiny which was a major conflict with (according to PSR) one, pretty awful set.

I hope Strelets has written down the great suggestions people have made & may address some in the near future.

Graeme: http://pub33.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2833323740&frmid=6&msgid=1068985&cmd=show

These are on the way. I may create a unit with Czapkas as I have a pile of the old Waterloo1815 Polish infantry in the Bits Box.

I am aware of that Linear-A set and it's looking very good but it's litewka and shako again; I think a logical next step would be figures with Kollets and shakos for the regular uhlan regiments of the standing army (I'm guided by Haythornethwaite here). Then with heads in czapka, stovepipe and bell topped shakos we could have lots of variations for the reserve and Landwehr regiments. Then on to the next wish list.

Still Roman Command sets for both Imperial and Republican Romans (using from 906 Imperial Roman Legion the command figures/sprues as starting point, or release them as mini-set, like the Anglo-Saxons)

Signifer
Musicians
Centurios

Officers (tribunus, legatus)

and at different actions:
in battle
before battle
cermonial

I would buy a lot (because I already bought a every Roman set several times)

A good call Martin. Set 908, now untitled, remains vacant and perfect for the task.

That leads me to two other listed sets that are yet-to-be made and would be wonderful to see:
- 129 'Napoleon's General Staff 3', could be aides, generals de division and other staff officers, all mounted please.
- M115 'Napoleonic French Sappers' could be sappers engineers in general, or perhaps have a Berezina theme or a range of well and lesser known incidents/figures including Berezina, l'enforcer at Waterloo, re-buildiing the Danube bridges post-Aspern-Essling...

Oh dear, it seems that I have joined those who have trouble counting to one and remaining there, Donald!

Some quite interisting & well-considered comments on this very exciting topic so far. :+1:
For my areas of interest, the following suggestions seem the most promising & logical imho.

Antiquity & Early Middle Ages
- Byzantine Empire & Enemies (from 330 until 1453 AD)
Kabinettskriege
- 7YW, Russian & French subjects in particular but also Prussian artillery
Napoleonic Wars
- Russian, Austrian, Prussian & "secondary" nations infantry ranges (marching, advancing & firing lines)
- Austrian & Prussian artillery in particular
Age of Imperialism
- French Imperialism (2nd Intervention in Mexico, Tonkin Campaign & Sino-French War, Boxer Rebellion ...)
early Industrial Warfare
- Franco-Prussian War, French & Prussian/German artillery in particular
- Russo-Japanese War, both sides infantry & artillery (suitable for WWI as well)
WWI
- early Austrian infantry, MG & light/medium artillery crews vs. early Serbian infantry & artillery crews (the latter suitable for Balkan Wars as well)
- Bulgarian early infantry, MG & light artillery crews (usable for Balkan Wars as well)
- French Spahis & Tirailleurs (usable for many other conflicts as well)
WWII
- 1940 Dutch infantry & support weapons and French infantry support weapons, AT- & light artillery crews
- Chinese infantry & support weapons in summer & winter gear (different factions & uniforms)
- Romanian & Hungarian infantry, support weapons & cavalry 1941-45 (summer/winter)
- Afrika Korps support weapons, light/medium arillery & AA-/AT-gun crews
further 20th century conflicts
- Spanish Civil War infantry, support weapons & light artillery crews for both sides
Generally
- Mule trains appropriate for a good number of different conflicts
... :sweat_smile:

Hope the readers can forgive me, but expanding the topic into another wish list was an irresistible impulse I couldn't resist entirely (tried very hard to minimise it as much as possible though). :wink:

Of course, Strelets should also enlarge their Imperial Rome, WWS & ACW ranges as well as various other WWI/RCW & WWII theatres. :+1: :smile:

Classic Peter! I can't imagine what is on your long list... haha!

We all need another painting à la Dorian Grey, I suspect!

I suspect that there is almost no market for it (probably just me) but I would really like to see Mahrattas and sepoys for Wellingtons campaigns in India - very colourful!

Phil Ball
I suspect that there is almost no market for it (probably just me) but I would really like to see Mahrattas and sepoys for Wellingtons campaigns in India - very colourful!
No, you're not alone there Phil. I think British Colonial India era range would be great along with a Sepoy Mutiny/Rebellion line (which Britsfan mentioned too).... And I'm still hoping for a dedicated North West Frontier line to be developed also - I had thought Mr. Strelets was asking about this topic several months back for this reason...and between you and me, I thought WSS wouldn't sell but I was very wrong about that.