Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: After Waterloo again

Alan should not lose hope, the SAS's exploits in the desert were some time after Waterloo.

I'm interested to see what's in these sets. Linear A are very good at exploring themes outside of the mainstream but I thought the recent Roman sets were perhaps a bit more sensational than they needed to be.

I'm definitely interested in these sets and would like to see how they look. The name "After Waterloo" doesn't necessarily pigeonhole them to that one day.

BTW: the next one is called "French Disaster."

Casualty figures of ANY army are welcome to me. I know I can convert figures, but why bother if you can get some ready made?

my first thought was, 1940-43 was after Waterloo:innocent: , but I am no quitter , so I will persevere with my hints for a good set of LRDG/SAS wester desert WW2 1940/43.

Dentures

James Fisher
Baratheon, have you noticed that linear a have added another 'After Waterloo' to their list of mini sets? Sounds good to me!

It would be great to see what the figures might look like.

After the battle would probably be a group of peasants, removing teeth from the dead (yes, gruesome but historically accurate, I'm afraid). These teeth were sent to various dentists to be made into false teeth.

And let's be optimistic if my guess is true: we've never had dentists depicted in 1/72 scale before.....

Re: Dentures

James, you're watching them like a hawk! lol That's an interesting development. Any "unique" set is welcome. With the good relationship between Strelets and Linear, I too hope for a sneak peak of a set that isn't WSS. :wink:

Don't tell Alan, but I secretly wish for a SAS/LRDG set too. But he might get a bit mad at me if I suggest they be mounted on camels (yes, I know these moulds have seen a lot of action already :grimacing: ) - and this way Strelets need only sculpt 12 new figures and quickly get a set out by Spring 2020! :relaxed:

So Linear MiniSet 004 = Set 1 French Disaster. At first, like Wayne, I assumed a mix of walking wounded, dead, or in retreat (perhaps Imperial Guard soldiers, as maybe old Boney thought the rout of his Vieille Garde elite were a "disaster" or maybe the cavalry against Squares). But I'm intrigued also by Paint Dog's suggestion that it could be peasants out and about on the battlefield looting the dead? Either way, I would welcome these mini-sets.

MiniSet 005 = Set 2 "????" Disaster. TBD at the moment - but I hope this would be British/Scottish. Any other suggestions?

I think using "disaster" in the title is a bit sensational too, as Graeme also commented. Perhaps lost in translation? Btw I thought some figures in the recent Roman sets were sensational albeit gruesome, but it helps fully recreate what happened in the forest to the legionnaires.

Though Boney lost the battle and the war, I equate disasters to, for example, Custers Last Stand and the massacre of Varus' Legions...

Linear a has a great opportunity to produce the casualty and walking wounded figures that many people have been calling for.

Lots of other possibilities are perfectly valid and actually quite likely from Linear A but I might prefer some of the horrors to be implied rather than depicted.

Scavenging civilians carrying bags of loot would be great, civilians actually murdering a wounded soldier would be a bit much for me. A soldier carrying a pair of pliers and a "Waterloo Teeth" collecting bag, great; actually pulling teeth, perhaps a bit over the top. A wounded Uxbridge lying on the surgeons table, fine; the surgeon actually sawing through his thigh bone? Maybe. Surgeons, bandsmen carrying casualties and Belgian civilians caring for the wounded would all be welcome.

French Disaster I think would probably be the routing army, Napoleon being hustled away by his Guard, maybe Napoleons ransacked coach?

Dead nellie

Graeme
Linear a has a great opportunity to produce the casualty and walking wounded figures that many people have been calling for.

Lots of other possibilities are perfectly valid and actually quite likely from Linear A but I might prefer some of the horrors to be implied rather than depicted.

Scavenging civilians carrying bags of loot would be great, civilians actually murdering a wounded soldier would be a bit much for me. A soldier carrying a pair of pliers and a "Waterloo Teeth" collecting bag, great; actually pulling teeth, perhaps a bit over the top. A wounded Uxbridge lying on the surgeons table, fine; the surgeon actually sawing through his thigh bone? Maybe. Surgeons, bandsmen carrying casualties and Belgian civilians caring for the wounded would all be welcome.

French Disaster I think would probably be the routing army, Napoleon being hustled away by his Guard, maybe Napoleons ransacked coach?
To be truthful, Graeme, I'm as squeamish as you.

Others may prefer more gore (& good luck to them!) but not for me.

I have a model of a dead elephant for my Punic gaming. Yes, I know it's a hunk of painted resin but I always feel sad using it.....or maybe it's just me who's sad!

We are all sad, old men playing with plastic soldiers that's what the wife says anyway.:anguished:

Steve H
We are all sad, old men playing with plastic soldiers that's what the wife says anyway.:anguished:
Wise woman, your wife.

Paint dog
James Fisher
Baratheon, have you noticed that linear a have added another 'After Waterloo' to their list of mini sets? Sounds good to me!

It would be great to see what the figures might look like.

After the battle would probably be a group of peasants, removing teeth from the dead (yes, gruesome but historically accurate, I'm afraid). These teeth were sent to various dentists to be made into false teeth.

And let's be optimistic if my guess is true: we've never had dentists depicted in 1/72 scale before.....
"if my guess is true: we've never had dentists depicted in 1/72 scale before....."

I can see it now: "Waffen SS dentists in summer dress,1943" to tie in with the new Osprey book:face_with_rolling_eyes:

I an not sure on the accuracy of what I am about to say as it was an article online which stated that all the bones from the dead at waterloo was removed from the battlefield crushed and returned to be used on the fields of England to improve the soil quality.

If this was true I think it is a sad reflection of the futility of war and the lack of respect their was for the common soldier.

hope others can confirm its validity If i recollect correctly it was discussed in a local newspaper of the time.

bfn

Allan

Allan from Glasgow
I an not sure on the accuracy of what I am about to say as it was an article online which stated that all the bones from the dead at waterloo was removed from the battlefield crushed and returned to be used on the fields of England to improve the soil quality.

If this was true I think it is a sad reflection of the futility of war and the lack of respect their was for the common soldier.

hope others can confirm its validity If i recollect correctly it was discussed in a local newspaper of the time.

bfn

Allan
Alan, I believe this was the case with a number of battlefield burial pits, including Waterloo.

I have read it speculated that this was the origin of BSE but I do not know if there's any validity.

Definitely not Donald. That was from feeding animal bi-products to other animals, particularly ruminants. Likely due to disease in the source animals used for the feed additive. It had been common to include fishmeal to increase the protein content of feed. This went further with using other animal byproducts, usually in homespun varieties. It is now all banned.

The human form Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) has similar symptoms but was not liked to the outbreak of BSE in the soon-to-be former UK.

Back on topic.

Loved your post Stuart. One of the funniest posts on this forum since Steve's ode to the pikeman last week. Looking forward to Waffen SS dentists standing, at attention and on the march!!

I know that I know nothing*

James Fisher
Definitely not Donald. That was from feeding animal bi-products to other animals, particularly ruminants. Likely due to disease in the source animals used for the feed additive. It had been common to include fishmeal to increase the protein content of feed. This went further with using other animal byproducts, usually in homespun varieties. It is now all banned.

The human form Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) has similar symptoms but was not liked to the outbreak of BSE in the soon-to-be former UK.

!

I stand corrected.

I must admit, it's a joy to be on a forum where you can add to your knowledge or have your misconceptions corrected by forum members. Thanks, James.

* Socrates, of course

Re: I know that I know nothing*

You underestimate yourself, Donald. It is good to focus on what you do not know though, isn't it? A wonderful former colleague (now sort-of retired) used to greet you with 'what did you learn today'. It's a great philosophy. We learn every day ... until we learn no more!

Trouble is that I'll run out of days and will still have bucket loads more to learn, ah well!

Allan,

This sounds like so much Waterloo mythology, don't you think?

I suspect that the lie of it is demonstrated in the moving and edifying section at around 37:45 in this most interesting and surprisingly (to me) insightful, well-written and produced doco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0P0NLRFYz0

James

James Fisher
Allan,

This sounds like so much Waterloo mythology, don't you think?

I suspect that the lie of it is demonstrated in the moving and edifying section at around 37:45 in this most interesting and surprisingly (to me) insightful, well-written and produced doco.

James
Here is the article I managed to find it again

https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

a very grim job and practice in my view

bfn

Allan

Allan from Glasgow
James Fisher
Allan,

This sounds like so much Waterloo mythology, don\'t you think?

James
Here is the article I managed to find it again

https://medium.com/study-of-history/the-bones-of-waterloo-a3beb35254a3

a very grim job and practice in my view

bfn

Allan
Allan,

Thanks heaps for the link. I added this to the list of things that I learned in the last few days. I'm slow in responding as reading it sent me down a few 'rabbit warrens'!

You may be interested in this post by Shannon Selin, if you've not seen it already
https://shannonselin.com/2016/07/napoleonic-battlefield-cleanup/
A most interesting blog post. There are some useful links in the comments too.

There is also the 'Waterloo Uncovered' project's website (http://www.waterloouncovered.com). There are reports for 2015 and 2016 available on there. This project was mentioned in one of the parts of the Sean Bean doco (I cannot recall which one without checking).

James

I can see it now: "Waffen SS dentists in summer dress,1943" to tie in with the new Osprey book

Probably Kaiser miniatures already have it on their production line along with SS tank riders set number 26. They could have a veterinary set to highlight the reliance of the German army on horses compared to the mechanized Western Allies.