Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prussian SYW figures: worth buying?

Phil Ball
Well I bought them to be AWI Hessians but as others have said I think the period is badly served in 1/72 so I did the period with 15mm metals - all the same pose, nothing to stick on - wider range of types available... No contest...
In the last year I have built up large SYW forces using the HaT Prussian and Austrian sets, some Revell figures (including in particular their Austrian artillery set and their Hussars, which I bought several boxes of years ago when they were available), with Zvezda Napoleonic Saxon cuirassiers for conversion to SYW cuirassiers with tricornes. I reckon that this will provide me with large SYW forces for Austria and Prussia, and perhaps others as well, in my preferred scale and still at a lower cost than 15mm.

I have avoided the Zvezda Prussian Grenadiers set. Amongst other things the choice of poses is in my view poor: why 9 x kneeling figures?

This is not to say that I was not tempted by 15mm when approaching the SYW. After all, that is the scale I've used for TYW and ECW armies in the absence of enough good sets for that era. But the arrival of the HaT SYW sets made up my mind for the mid C18th.

The new Strelets early C18th British sets are fantastic, and I look forward to the WoSS range expanding. I'll be buying plenty!

Yes. I have them in my Prussian Grenadier battalions and they are worth the effort as the sculpting is absolutely superb. I bought three boxes to get a decent number of standing poses, and they work if you base them in two ranks with kneeling figures in front: the different standing poses in the rear rank gives a sort of representation of the firing drill by platoons anyway, and of course you don't need as many command figures. The standard bearer easily converts to another NCO. They are not too bad compared to the Hat and Revell infantry who are fairly tall in their own right. Some of mine ended up serving the guns from Zvezda's GNW Swedish artillery set.

It's a pain to convert those Saxons to cuirassiers but no other option exists at the moment. The one thing impossible to convert is grenz infantry regiments and pandours for the Austrian forces - maybe Strelets can be persuaded to produce some of these for us in the near future?

Stuart

It's a pain to convert those Saxons to cuirassiers but no other option exists at the moment. The one thing impossible to convert is grenz infantry regiments and pandours for the Austrian forces - maybe Strelets can be persuaded to produce some of these for us in the near future?

Hey, Stuart.

what about using the Italeri Prussian cuirassiers for the SYW?

I cut the hats off & glued some of the many spare HaT tricornes i had, glued a pigtail on & with a paint conversion: viola!

The horse furniture was more tricky.

And thanks for your useful comments on the Zvesda set.