Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
WSS French - what do we want?

Waiting to receive my first marlburghian british sets. As we all also want french to oppose them, what would we like them to be and look like?
I want the infantry to have the belly pouch. I think it was starting to be issued in beginning of 1700s or even late 1690s? Anyone have some info about this? Regarding poses I hope all sides get kneeling firing figures. Don't think a firing line without kneeling figures is complete. What's your ideas/preferences?

Re: WSS French - what do we want?

Dragoons in caps rather than tricornes.

I wouldn't mind a few pikemen either (risky topic, I know!). Maybe as "bonus" figures or something? But perhaps not with cuirasses, although it looks **** good :)

Hi Jesse,

I agree with you, those masters showing the soldiers with pike and cuirass were cool, and it probably can be that pikes started disappearing in the year 1707, but think for example about the great bloody battle of Malplaquet which was in 1709 or other battles during the late stages of the war...the piked men would be quite unuseful. Instead I think you are completely right in suggesting infantry with the 1690-1700 equipment which would be perfectly suitable for all the stages of the spanish succession war, and the dragoons and artillery too!

This is of course my humble point of view, I know that not everybody agrees with me:smile:

Cheers,

Alex.

I would like to see some casualty figures, like the ACW sets, for all sides.

Alan Buckingham
I would like to see some casualty figures, like the ACW sets, for all sides.
I also would like casualty figures like the ACW Range includes. I like all of the action poses of the British so hope the French will include the same. I like a mix of headgear and weapons.

You can have the same three sets of French line infantry to oppose the English, plus a set of guard infantry in lace-front coats (Gardes Francaises, Gardes Suisses or the Regiment du Roi) - I assume grenadiers will not get their own set but be sprinkled among the line sets. Then sets of dragoons in the stocking caps, preferably one mounted and one dismounted with bayonets. Cavalry could be several sets all by themselves - at least one of the Maison du Roi (either Gardes du Corps or Gendarmes/Chevaux Legers, plus Grenadiers a Cheval and Mousquetaires if the first two sell well), and another of the line cavalerie or the Cuirassiers du Roi. And of course a set of artillery. That about covers it. ;-)

Samogon
You can have the same three sets of French line infantry to oppose the English, plus a set of guard infantry in lace-front coats (Gardes Francaises, Gardes Suisses or the Regiment du Roi) - I assume grenadiers will not get their own set but be sprinkled among the line sets. Then sets of dragoons in the stocking caps, preferably one mounted and one dismounted with bayonets. Cavalry could be several sets all by themselves - at least one of the Maison du Roi (either Gardes du Corps or Gendarmes/Chevaux Legers, plus Grenadiers a Cheval and Mousquetaires if the first two sell well), and another of the line cavalerie or the Cuirassiers du Roi. And of course a set of artillery. That about covers it. ;-)
I like all those ideas but they could make like a command style pack that had pioneers,grenadiers.ones with and without breastplates,drummers fifes etc?
And also irregulars,sutlers,and various others ???

I have essentially the same suggestions as I had for the Brits:

- Infantry, and I agree with Samogon that this should include some laced coats for Gardes Francaises, Gardes Suisses and the Regiment du Roi

- Cavalry:
(I) "Light Cavalry" = heavy cavalry/"horse"
(II) Dragoons in caps
(III) Additionally, it would be good to have something from the Maison du Roi, but which?!?

- Artillery

- Mounted officers/staff