Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets 230 British Infantry In Advance ....

This is a brilliant set, and I received four boxes via Drum and Flag last week and am now in the process of preparing them for painting. This interest in the early C18th looks like the start of something very good from Strelets.

And I'm with Mr Pickstock on not wanting to leave the EU. After all these centuries of being in conflict with one or other European neighbour, living in harmony is surely what we should be doing.

Not wanting to go all political but, politicians in particular our own are making leaving very difficult , and few really want to leave, what they want is the EU to change direction and above all to listen. But having threatened to leave, leave we must. But back on topic , WSS loving these guys and looking foreword to this range expanding and keeping to the standards of this first very wonderful set.

Hi Steve,

totally agree

Good to hear that these do not disappoint. Mine are on order and I've added a box or two with the thought of painting them up as Dutch.

Marlborough's army - like Wellington's in 1815 - was a force of many European nations. England/Britain's interest in fighting the French had a colonial dimension, but mostly, I feel, it was part of a policy of longstanding to maintain the balance of power in Europe and prevent one Power (initially a nakedly expansionist France, from the 1660s following Louis IX's assumption of personal rule) dominating the continent.

England/Britain had many European allies who shared that aspiration during the Eighteenth Century. The Common Market-EC-EU is a modern and pacific means in ensuring peace, stability and prosperity. Britain's participation in it is, IMHO, entirely consistent with its historic mission to assist in maintaining the balance of power, and, hence, freedom, peace and prosperity in Europe and beyond, and it is nothing short of a crying shame that we should turn our backs on the Continent in this way to become a more inward looking and, inevitably, poorer and even less significant nation, unable to continue its positive contribution to the world in co-operation with its European neighbours.

So, I may retreat to the Eighteenth Century for a bit of pan-European gaming

I too think these are great figures and look forward to having time to paint them.

I love the way the shared interest of our hobby is international.

I agree with the comments of fellow collectors on this thread.

Absolutely superb figures, and with Strelets reputation for producing a comprehensive range of sets, we can be pretty sure we will see more than adequate coverage of the period....

As for the Anglo-European issue, I am sure Britain will be able to fend for itself in the global economy as it did for centuries prior to 1973, but free from the policy of playing off one warring kingdom or empire against another to maintain the balance of power. IMHO it's a bit of a stretch historically to refer to the various European powers as traditional allies when most (in their previous incarnations)have been bitter enemies at one point or another :thinking_face:

Spare a thought for the commonwealth nations who stood by Britain in peace and were first to answer the call in war, only to be shamefully thrown under the EEC bus*

*As an old Geezer, I have fond memories of Australian butter and New Zealand lamb!:sunglasses:

Stuart

*As an old Geezer, I have fond memories of Australian butter and New Zealand lamb!:sunglasses:

As a probably not much younger geezer, I habitually still eat Kiwi butter & Oz lamb (IMO the better markets). I could add Aussie wine & New Zealand fruit. And a lot else, besides.

Not really wanting to buy into the politics but I think the Commonwealth is a ship, sadly, long since sailed into oblivion with minor & unimportant exceptions (eg C'wealth Games).

I really love conversations like this that begun about Brexit. From my point of view (I am Greek, Greece always stood by Britain, and also a fanatic anglophile) there are two different issues. The first is that with Brexit, English people seems to ignore what Scotland, North Ireland or even Welsh want. These are now the British Commonwealth or the mighty United Kingdom. The other issue is that E.U. without Britain is something really mysterious (and weird) for me. If UK wants its global role, (with these two new superb aircraft carriers) this role must be played from E.U., not outside it. For our and yours benefit. I may be wrong, but I hate to see your country willing to face problems like these that we Greeks are facing for over a decade...
Thank you and I really don't want to interfere any more, everything I said is with full respect, concern and admiration for UK. I am sure that you, British, know better than me... :grin:

Obviously not an appropriate place for politics but judging by my wargames club which is in a South Eastern suburb of London and mostly over 60, I rather imagined that most toy soldier fans were Brexiteers, so it's refreshing to see the majority of posters being anti Brexit on this thread. I don't know what effect Brexit will have us British collectors, I suppose it depends on what happens to the pound as to whether prices go up or down, apart from Italeri and Minairons I don't think there are many figure manufacturers in EU countries. Might have a much bigger effect on collectors of different scales and materials.

Delusions of Grandeur and an exaggerated sense of National significance rooted in past glories rather than present realities are the hallmarks of a waning civilisation in the terminal phase of its decline. The Hapsburg Empire was victim to a similar fantasy self-image until WW1 wiped it off the map.

I'm sure that many people throughout history have survived shooting themselves in the foot. That doesn't make it a particularly bright idea.

Reliving past glories on the table top will soon have a new poignancy.

Re:Brexit and after

Hi Marios! Scotland, Wales and the six counties that make up Northern Ireland are part of the United Kingdom politically,and Great Britain or the British Isles geographically, but not the commonwealth, which is made up of overseas territories that were formerly part of the British Empire, for example India, Canada etc. Ireland (Éire)withdrew from the commonwealth when it became a republic in 1949.

The people of Britain as a whole voted in the referendum, with a majority in favor of leaving, as one people, not as three or four separate states. That would be the same as say, Germany voting by a majority of Germans, whether they identify as Prussians Bavarians or Saxons from one the historical constituent kingdoms that make up modern Germany. I hope that explains things a little clearer!

It is going to be interesting to see how our hobby will be impacted in the future. The pound sterling may well become a strong and viable alternative currency to the Euro and US Dollar; will plastic figures and kits made outside the EU suffer from punitive taxes - or become cheaper from distributors elsewhere?

And will my kilted highlanders ever arrive to fight the Boers before the border check points go up?

Re: Re:Brexit and after

May I just apologise to anyone who is as sick of Brex!t as I am, that this thread has become less about these wonderful figures and more about the UK leaving the EU.

This is not the place for that discussion, can we keep it on the figures please?

Stuart and Steve, you are right and sorry for the inconvenience. Let's talk about our great hobby that unite all of us. Many thanks for your patience ... Best wishes from Greece!!!

Thank you Strelets

Just received my 11 boxes of the WSS Advancing British, and, to confirm what everyone else is saying here, these are beautiful figures, lovely proportions, smashing detail, and with all the typical Strelets charm that I love. And not a single wasted pose among them.

As for Brexit, again, I have to concur with the majority of posters here: it's causes are multifarious, and I have no doubt that many voted leave with the best of intentions and a heavy dose of faith, but it really does not look like a good idea. At a time when we should be coming together to tackle the real problems that face the world, we find ourselves being pulled apart for something that will provide no tangible benefits to everyday working people like myself, and threatens to jeopardises so much that we take for granted and hold dear.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Stuart. Europena union should stick together. In eu i would like to see Russians and Ukrainian together. Every country has dark history but today we have internet we can enjoy history but to me when I was soldier I felt like bing better equipped cop democracy means freedom of speech we need to learn from each other ...