Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Queen Anne commands and we obey ....

Excellent posting, indeed.
Thanks for sharing your comprehensive thoughts with the forum, some valid aspects adequately summarised. :+1:

I really wish this new range to be a commercial success for Strelets.
Their dedication to the hobby and willingness to venture into a whole new area will hopefully be rewarded. :+1:

Thank you all for the replies and the positive feedback.

I've been considering how British wargames units might be formed. For Napoleonics I have used a generous 1:20 figure ratio, as I like the 'big battalions' to look reasonably well populated.

I wondered how I might apply that here.

While it won't suit many, I'm motivated most by the look of the thing.

Horse

Nine troops were grouped in threes to form three squadrons. As a troop strength is given as 47-68, it may conveniently be represented using 3 figures in a line. A squadron becomes 9 figures in a line and a regiment three such squadrons, making it 27-figures strong. The figures could be conveniently based in 3s, i.e. as a troop.

Dragoons

Dragoons differed in having 8 troops deployed in two squadrons. We assume the same troop size. This results in two squadrons of 12 figures. Again, the figures could be conveniently based in 3s.

Foot

The infantry battalion comprised 13 companies, one of which was grenadiers, and had an establishment of circa 900.

However, effective strength in the field is likely to have been significantly below this and in the field the battalions were deployed as 18 platoons.

The battalion generally deployed in a 3-deep line. Grenadiers could be deployed on the right of the line or split between the flanks. Basing can be by sixes, 2-deep, each representing 3 platoons. This would result in a battalion with a strength of 36 figures, i.e. of 720 officers and men. A mounted command figure can be added.

Mr Strelets: Reasons to be happy: Queen Anne commands and we obey ....

Just noticed the Plastic Soldier review of the WWS Brits in advance.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=2717

"Sculpting is simply excellent"

They mention that the sergeant is sans sash, and they don't like the haversacks, but otherwise they find them accurate (9/10) and they really love the sculpts and praise the production quality.

On the question of the haversacks, this feature is illustrated on an infantryman in the Osprey volume on Marlborough's Army.

I note that the reviewers see the set as best representing the earlier part of the conflict, Blenheim and Ramilles, which they consider to be a good choice.

My own view of the figures, based on the photographs of them, is that they deserve such critical acclaim and, so, I'm really pleased to see them gain the support of the reviewers.

Mr Strelets - I can only hope that you will now go on to produce Horse (no cuirass), Dragoons, Artillery and Staff/Mounted Officers, as per my earlier post.

If these are to the same standard as the infantry sets, we are set for Happy Times indeed.

Of course, equivalent sets for the French would be necessary to field opponents and I feel would form the core of a fantastic range, with many paint and sculpting conversions possible to expand their utility still further.

Brilliant work, Mr Strelets, please, please keep it up.

Some excellent post M. Edwardian. I agree with your ideas and I hope Strelets will do these other sets.

Thank you Strelets for these wonderful sets

Great post. For that Marlborough staff set, you definitely need a bonus figure of poor Colonel Bingfeild with his head blown off by a cannon ball at Ramillies!