Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Opinionative

Alessandro
Me too, definitely with Opinion. The tricorne is clearly for the WSS, and if these guys come out with pikes, I won't buy them. Historical accuracy is important, and I am not a Fantasy wargamer.
I'm glad you have an Opinion. Everyone should have One.:joy:

Of course, one of the benefits of plastic figures is the relative ease of conversion. If, as you say, these figures are at best anachronistic and, at worst, imaginary, what could be made of them? If they are unsuitable to "trail'st thou the puissant pike", could they be something else?

The tricorned head should surely be of some use.
How about the possibility of flag-bearing ensigns, with some creative surgery?

The WSS is not my period but could the cuirass'ed body be used for dismounted cavalry? A staff figure?

Over the years, I've found my 'bits box' to be a useful adjunct to the hobby. A little Miliput & a sharp knife and I'm sure these figures could be of some use. That's only my opinion, of course.

Re: Opinionative

You misunderstand, I was referring to what mr. Opinion said. Maybe you don't take into account that there are wargamers that are not so good at conversions (😁). I was only saying that it is stupid to produce a wrong set, why should people buy it to modify it? In this case it would be more rational to buy the zvezda swedes and paint them as french, instead of spending hours in removing the pikes...

Well said, Alessandro.

Ain't it strange to opt for converting figures which, apparently, are still in the process of being sculpted / in the stage of being developed? Why not encourage Strelets to avoid mistakes from the beginning? Weird.

Opinion

Isn't it strange to opt for converting figures...

Our hobby is a broad church. Some like to convert. Some like to complain.

Paint dog

Our hobby is a broad church. Some like to convert. Some like to complain.
Chapeau sir!

Re: Another Friday

And I'll return to my argument; two standard bearers per box for British units. One where one per battalion or regiment is appropriate

I have been reading the thread and I am curious about the figures.

I know very little of this general period of warfare, so I am interested to find out more.

I stumbled on this book on Amazon - the figure on the left of the book front appears a bit like the Strelets figures.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pike-Shot-Battles-Western-1685-1720/dp/0904417395

I do not have the book myself, so I do not know which army the figure represents - perhaps someone on the thread has the book.

(The bottom picture of the Strelets new figures appears to have a 3rd pikeman standing just off to the side with a sloping pike)

French, pre-WSS.

How about clarifying matters?

Strelets, there has been so much controversial discussion by now, it would be nice if you could comment and clarify matters. Also, the "Survey"-thread you initiated lately was a most curious thing. As if you felt uneasy about having rushed into that WSS adventure ... What are your plans regarding this era?

Re: How about clarifying matters?

This just may be the longest thread on this forum for a very long time, and clarity would be good, although it will come in the fullness of time anyway.

Dear mr. Paint dog, I have seen you are a lover of converting, but it doesn't mean that I am a lover of complaint only because I tried to prevent Strelets from making a big mistake. Next time, just avoid writing such answers and respect the thought of everyone. Said so, I suggest to stop this confrontation now.

Best regards,
Alex.

I don`t think there is confrontation here, just differing views, debate is good , there are no personal attacks or any malice in any of the above, so it is all good faith.

Really? Calling people who just relate facts and recommend avoiding unnecessary mistakes chauvinists, insulting them by insinuating that they prefer complaining to converting (as it happens I'm a fervent converter but still choose converting for fun over converting out of necessity due to the fact that the figures are just crap - in terms of historical accuracy, anatomy or pose), mocking at them on a regular basis and then accuse them of being anxious to make "smug pronouncements" on other people's taste, to jibe at non-native speakers' imperfect English-language skills - well, that's all but no personal attacks or good faith. It's not just bringing forth differing views and debate, it's pure confrontation and malice, indeed. In short, it's trolling.

...and there was me trying to be diplomatic :innocent:

Yes Alan, I agree also with you, but I see that Mr. Opinion was perfectly able to get the point and make things clear once for all.

im more interested in the great turkish war from this time frame,no offense intended.i have a question for those who know more than me,did the habsburg armies use pike formations against the turks?

Opinion
Really? Calling people who just relate facts and recommend avoiding unnecessary mistakes chauvinists, insulting them by insinuating that they prefer complaining to converting (as it happens I'm a fervent converter but still choose converting for fun over converting out of necessity due to the fact that the figures are just crap - in terms of historical accuracy, anatomy or pose), mocking at them on a regular basis and then accuse them of being anxious to make "smug pronouncements" on other people's taste, to jibe at non-native speakers' imperfect English-language skills - well, that's all but no personal attacks or good faith. It's not just bringing forth differing views and debate, it's pure confrontation and malice, indeed. In short, it's trolling.
Von Opinion, it seems to me you stated in an earlier thread you'd followed me to two different web sites. I visit several others....could I give you the addresses so you can "Korrect" me there too?

And I think you called me "weird" in my post that suggested the possibility of conversion.

You, sir, are nothing but a troll. I am not inclined to allow low insinuations & inflammatory claims to go unchallenged.

Re: Another Friday--teaser that is

Opinion, you describe yourself so well. Such self-flattery cannot be good for one.

The Friday teaser was begun by Strelets about a year ago, from memory (I did not go back through the posts to find the first).

These previews from Strelets' workbench were received with interest and joy by visitors to this forum who then 'demanded' that they occur again and again. An 'institution' was born.

Over the many weeks that we have been enjoying this we have seen entire figures and parts of figures, often shown from only a single view so that the subject is not entirely clear. The subject of the preview has been revealed later when further images of the masters or even of the figures have been posted.

May the Friday teaser continue. No other manufacturer does this. Occasional 'preview' photos of entire sets or groups of masters is the closest thing.

I look forward to you starting another in two days Messrs Strelets. A figure from yet another, different period, perhaps?!

Hey guys, I know I don't comment much on here but lets leave the drama off. I listen to a good amount of it on daily basis at work. We all love collecting, gaming, so forth. So lets enjoy the hobby and not let it lead to anger or hurt feelings. Wishing you all the best from the Old North State.
Ole Ben

Going back to the original question - I have had a bit of a dig and found this on TMP:
"According to Nosworthy, "The Anatomy of Victory", p.42, Louis XIV introduced the use of socket bayonet in all regiments with a circular of November 11, 1692. Moreover he records at p.43 that Villars was allowed to remove pikes from the Army of Italy from January 16, 1702. However shortage of flintlocks prevented the full elimination of pikes until 1708."

Well done Phil, that should help calm down some of the opinionated view points:-).

Well, it has a Louis XIV look about it, though pre Malburian and I can find no very close match.

I'd prefer to wait to learn what it is, rather than condemn it out of hand.