Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Has anyone tried mounting Foreign Legion on Patrol on Camels yet?

Robert Richman
Do you mount figures first and then paint them? Also which one was trouble?

Bob
I painted up a few Esci French Curassiers years ago, and the moment I pressed them onto their horses, the paint popped right off at the waist where the legs spread. And yes, I washed everything in detergent before painting. If you want to make sure you don't lose any of your time and hard work painting, I recommend you mount them permanently to their camels utilizing the pegs on the Legionnaires legs before painting.

If I painted my Strelets FFL Camelry, like the box art, I'd paint the Trooper's Saddle Blanket Dark Blue, the underlying bigger Saddle Blanket Red, and the Tassels Blue, White or Yellow, and also Red or some combo of those.

As an alternative, I've discovered if you cut off the pegs on the Legionnaire's legs, they will fit perfectly on another companies camels (not Airfix) easily, and dismount easily also. These camels are made for Colonial British Camelry and have all their saddle blankets, bags and accoutrements so they look the part, as do the Strelets Camels also. I've never been able to find any FFL Camel Unit history other than commanding native troopers so it's all good to me.

Lastly, the Imex Alamo Mexican Cavalry set comes with 1 bareback mule and 3 pack mules with loads. The Strelets FFL riders fit perfectly atop the bareback mule. If you buy single boxes, they are made in a Red Color. If you buy the Alamo Complete Set, the Mexican side is cast in a nice Medium Blue color. Unfortunately, you have to have several sets to make a significantly sized Foreign Legion Mule Train. Luckily being an Alamo fan I have a complete collection of these so it makes a really impressive sight.

Good luck and have fun with your project.

Re: Has anyone tried mounting Foreign Legion on Patrol on Camels yet?

My favoured method for fixing riders:
Remove any pegs if the figures have them, use some suitable stretched sprue to fill the holes in the mounts, if done well its practically invisible if using sprue from the set so good for non painters too.
Drill a hole in the seat of the figure and a matching hole in the mount, then add a peg made from a suitable piece of stretched sprue to hold the rider to the mount a tight fit works best if you dont want to glue.
using this method you can mount the figure on a cocktail stick to paint, use a block of foam for holding a batch of figures.

:wink: