Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Survey

I am Italian but I've got appreciate so much the Frech army of King Louis. And sure they sold very well in my country too. Saluti !!

Bonjour chère équipe Strelets,

As a French citizen I have to say first of all that this hobby is not as huge as in the UK or USA for instance.
That said, of course people will go by the most popular Era so obviously Napoleonic, ww1, WW2..
Now will the French citizen be your main customers? Are we the one who are buying most of your products for any eras? I would be surprised if yes.
As you stated in an earlier thread, I'd suggest to make one test box of basic french infantry maybe covering all aspects of poses this time (firing, loading,advance and march) and see the return on investment.
I personally will buy a couple of box as it is a new era.
J'espère avoir été utile.
Bon dimanche.
Cordialement.
CPN

I'm not French either but I think it makes no sense to produce just one conflict party and in just one pose. So after having made the first set of British infantry in advance there should follow more British in other poses and it is absolutely necessary to offer the same for their opponents, the French, and release them in short intervals. Do not listen to the proponents of the Austrian party who urge you to release Austrians even before the French because the British need an enemy and the Austrians were allies. Nobody is interested in soldiers fighting no one. So, the Austrians are not priority.

As for the presumed attitude of French hobbyists towards the WSS, remember that it was by no means a lost war for the French. On the contrary. The British won a few battles and conquered Gibraltar but, militarily, the WSS ended in a stalemate and politically and strategically, the Bourbons were awarded Spain and its overseas empire, so, in essence, had achieved their war objective.

BTW, same for the Hundred Years War which, after all, was a wholesale French victory as the English were expelled from France (with the exception of Calais which was reconquered a few decades later).

So, actually, no reason for the French to be heavy-hearted. :slightly_smiling_face:

As an aside, I appreciate the inclusion of an oboe player. Perhaps, it would be a good idea to include one such particular figure - related to the subject - in each set (e.g., various bandsmen for Napoleonic period sets), instead of the strelets figure offered so far / until recently.

A very strange question which you have placed here...

I am not french, but I will buy certainly more than 5-6 boxes of each infantry set. And I don´t really understand why France should been so an important market for you, that you will bind your decision for more sets on their weak figure market. There are so many collectors in the UK, Central and Northern Europe and USA which will certainly buy sets of the Wars of Sucession.

Please produce in a first step 6 infantry-sets, 2 each for UK, Austria and France, offensive/close combat and defensive/marching, and you will see how they will been sold well. And please more fusiliers than grenadiers. You can add later cavalry and artillery, bavarians, dutch or spanish. And you will see that they will sold better and better...

I know many collectors who are interested to buy sets of this period. And I know also many collectors who are searching for austrians, because they want combine them with the existing ottomans.

6 first sets and it will been no more doubts ....

Again not French but this range attracts me and I will buy both sides.

Hi Strelets,

I am not french but I know a lot of modellers who are ready to purchase alongside me the entire british and also french army of the period. I think that french infantry for the Spanish War of Succession would be a totally new set which will surely have a lot of success, here in Italy but also in France.

Morning.

I m European, I ll buy them.

I m more likely to be willing to purchase from any range, if there is a sense that it will be a reasonable coverage. So I ll buy French Infantry sets, if there is a good chance of Cavalry, Generals and Artillery to go with them.

In this era, the differences (at 1/72nd) are not so visible and the figures would cover other nationalities and a longer period that just the WSS (right up into the 1740s and perhaps back into the 1690s, specially if you at a later stage added some pikemen).

The horse may benefit from a similar approach to the excellent one you have taken to the Foot. A set at rest or presenting arms on stationary horses and a set at the charge (horse trotting and troopers with swords and pistols in action)

Keep up the good work

cheers

Dear Steelers,

Firstly, thank you so much for starting this range: I'm so excited about it. Whilst I know several years ago I suggested releasing your peter the great Russian musketeers as a mini box, I'm glad that you have decided to venture in more fully: the advancing British infantry look fantastic: I reckon I'll purchase at least 11 boxes when they do come out.

Now, for the French. I'm not French (albeit that the family name might suggest a Frankish connection ;) ), but I believe you really can't refight the War of Spanish Succession without them. Indeed, there should be far more French than British. Again, I can see myself buying many, many boxes of advancing figures, especially if they have the distinctive French belly box (might they also stand in for the wonderfully colourful Spanish tercios?). As a Wargamer, it's advancing poses all the way for me; I'd be less interested in firing or mixed sets (for example, I really like the Mars late 17th Spanish and Austrians, but am put off by the pose diversity), but would purchase the odd one for the sake of completeness.
The other sets I'd be particularly interested in are French dragoons in their distinctive stocking caps, and British horse with the cuirass worn under the coat (I think some of the French horse also wore that style too, so, potentially, those are interchangeable). Also, Austrian/Bavarian cuirassiers with lobster pot helmets, are very much a must have.

I might be inclined to save the artillery until last: your GNW artillery sets are both very good, and I'm not sure there was massive variation in artillery uniform in the early 18th century.

Again, thank you for dipping your toe into this era: hopefully total Immersion will follow!

Cheers, Steve

Dear Strelets,

Firstly, thank you so much for starting this range: I'm so excited about it. Whilst I know several years ago I suggested releasing your peter the great Russian musketeers as a mini box, I'm glad that you have decided to venture in more fully: the advancing British infantry look fantastic: I reckon I'll purchase at least 11 boxes when they do come out.

Now, for the French. I'm not French (albeit that the family name might suggest a Frankish connection ;) ), but I believe you really can't refight the War of Spanish Succession without them. Indeed, there should be far more French than British. Again, I can see myself buying many, many boxes of advancing figures, especially if they have the distinctive French belly box (might they also stand in for the wonderfully colourful Spanish tercios?). As a Wargamer, it's advancing poses all the way for me; I'd be less interested in firing or mixed sets (for example, I really like the Mars late 17th Spanish and Austrians, but am put off by the pose diversity), but would purchase the odd one for the sake of completeness.
The other sets I'd be particularly interested in are French dragoons in their distinctive stocking caps, and British horse with the cuirass worn under the coat (I think some of the French horse also wore that style too, so, potentially, those are interchangeable). Also, Austrian/Bavarian cuirassiers with lobster pot helmets, are very much a must have.

I might be inclined to save the artillery until last: your GNW artillery sets are both very good, and I'm not sure there was massive variation in artillery uniform in the early 18th century.

Again, thank you for dipping your toe into this era: hopefully total Immersion will follow!

Cheers, Steve

Hi. I'm not French but from Malta. Congratulations for starting a new era.King Louis takes me back to my school history lesson days.Of course i'll be buying lots of boxes especially if you will later have boxes regarding the different participants in Spanish Succession Warand also including cavalry. Keep up the good work.

Hello strelets, I'm French and I'm surprised your question. The French are far from the main buyers of figurines if you would only produce Prussians for Iena and Auerstaedt and not for Waterloo ... same for the Scots: a single reference would be enough. I do not think kings are very popular in France, but that does not mean that you will not find audiences in other countries for miniatures about the armies of the Sun King.

Dear Strelets,
I can't speak for Frenchmen, but having French ancestry I can assure you that all the collectors and wargamers I've spoken to here in New South Wales are looking forward to this range, particularly if you include cavalry and artillery. Please be assured of our every support.

Strelets, I have posted this on facebook groups inviting French collectors to comment, so I hope a few do.

Hello, i’m french and the wars of the Sun King arouse a keen interest in France. We want infantry, cavalry, artillery and staff. we also want several belligerents to be able to replay the battles on our tables. if we have an infantry unit lost without an enemy, we will not buy them. sorry for my bad english and thank you for your interest in your customers, even the frog eater

I'm actually not interested as I do enough Horse & Musket periods (SYW,Naps & ACW) & really don't need another.

However, the overwhelming response seems to make production a no-brainer.

I think to a large degree, the hobby is not that ethno-centric. For example, I love my NKE army and I'm sure I didn't have pyramid-building ancestors. And with figures looking this good, even I'm tempted.

Cher Strelets,
S'il vous plait faire beaucoup de Louis XIV soldats, y compris L'infanterie, L'artillerie, la cavalerie.
Aussi s'il vous plait faire ses allies, par exemple Bavarois.
Je vais acheter beaucoup

Murat
Cher Strelets,
S'il vous plait faire beaucoup de Louis XIV soldats, y compris L'infanterie, L'artillerie, la cavalerie.
Aussi s'il vous plait faire ses allies, par exemple Bavarois.
Je vais acheter beaucoup
Aussi pour moi!

Not French, however hugely looking forwards to all of these.

Hi, Strelets!

Here from South America. Don't know a thing about the French market and its sales potential but, considering Napoleonics overcrowded offer nowadays, I assume many, like me I guess, who have long been waiting for these wars to receive their due share of attention, and some others, that would be more than pleased to take a step back from Napoleonics, would happily game the likes of Villiars, Vendôme and Eugene all over Europe. So, I'd think of it the other way. Here you have a period, not yet covered in this scale (quite an incredible fact in itself), intact and for the taking, and which also possess all the flair, charm and glamour of Napoleonics. If you don't commit to it, others eventually will. As you've said, It's just to big a gap.

Best,

Nic

Amazed that a company actually consults its customers on the subject of future products of any description.

Excellent miniatures of undisputed scope and ever increasing quality

Take the rest of the day off :)

Al

French or not
we want them all!!!!
Especially with such subjects like SSW.
Keep walking strelets...
So και μία ακόμη θετική ψήφος από Ελλάδα...

I would think the French would take a lot pride in the accomplishments of the Sun King. The
English certainly remember their victories at Blenheim and Oudenarde. I like the idea of branching
out in a hobby that seems fixed on Napoleon and World War II. Good luck with this new era.

Re: Survey: WSS Vs Naps

Britsfan
a hobby that seems fixed on Napoleon and World War II. Good luck with this new era.

A major reason the collection of Napoleonic figures is popular is the fact that despite being a diverse period in terms of uniform & unit, nearly everything is available.

If Strelets wants to ensure the WSS approaches this, it will need to cover the period well.

Re: Survey: WSS Vs Naps

I am terrified that these figures might be produced by Strelets because I will have to buy a bunch of them and books too in order to learn
all about them. I've got more figures to paint than I could ever do even if I lived to be 150 years old so please just release the one set.

THX,

Bob

Nice to be asked, but I agree with all those who have posted to say that the premise behind this survey seems a bit odd.

The hobby is perhaps a lot smaller in France, but I have no doubt that French hobbyists will be keen to buy the Sun King's troops.

I just don't think that's the point. Assuming Malborough's campaigns are at least a significant part of the draw, French troops are going to be popular and essential, regardless of the nationality of the gamer.

I am British, but my Napoleonics are mostly French v. Spanish early Peninsular and Prussian v. French late war. The nationality of the wargamer is not greatly relevant, I find. I don't exclusively or even mainly field redcoats, but where redcoats are fielded, you really need Bourbon white or Imperial blue to join them.

For me, the point is decided by what Strelets has already done. By releasing British troops for the period, you create a pressing need for equal representation of French troops for the period. Simple.

Quite frankly, the reason that I gave up on an attempt to move from Napoleonics to SYW was the lack of 1/72nd plastics to represent French troops. New France, the Caribbean and Minden would all have been on the Menu, alas.

Now the War of Spanish Succession / Queen Anne's War (in the colonies) / the Jacobite Rising of 1715 / the Golden Age of Piracy all beckon these new red coats.

Of all the troops to range against them, however, the most relevant and numerous will be the French.

I am not yet interested in that period but according to the ever increasing quality of STRELETS Products, I will certainly buy some of their products.

Regards

Patrice
From Paris

Hello Streletz,
OK I am French or European or whatever - as said by others, I also don't think this is most relevant. However, the WSS is very interesting, allows to expand into many other interesting topics and your figures are beautiful.
If you give this topic the same covering as say ACW you will earn the same success.
I will also buy into this period with a lot of pleasure, even if like so many others I have a very hard time to catch up painting all my figures.

Cheers and keep up your good work
Michael

I am Canadian The WSS was not confined to Europe. Plenty of action here in the "New World" where it was known as Queen Anne's War. Will be buying these figures when released. Thanks.

As french I buy these, but the english also

Good work!

I am not French, but I am very interested in the WSS and will be buying them. Please start out with a set of English and French (or at least release a French set soon). Strelets is really fast to produce sets, but I don't like it when a company makes a set and then takes years to produce their enemies!

Thank you Strelets for taking risks and starting new eras!! As a collector interested in almost every era, I really appreciate your amazing contribution to our hobby!

John

A few frenchmen within our family tree, living at the french language border and maintaining vivid contacts to quite a few hobby-enthusiasts all over europe. Hope this qualifies to comment on this? :thinking_face:

Totally thrilled that Strelets kicks off a new range for this significant & interesting conflict, which was relatively absent in 1/72 plastics so far. :+1:
Imho the hobby shows a noticeable gap regarding most Kabinettskriege specifically and the whole "Tricorne"-era in general.
France unquestionably being one of the most ambitious & relevant european powers throughout the period, makes french subjects an obvious no-brainer.

Like various others already confirmed, I also would definitely buy a number of french sets if they look as promising as their english opponents.
Hoping for an appreciably wide range that covers the broad diversity of different units & involved belligerents suitably. :+1:
Needless to say, this should equally apply for the Imperial/Habsburg (Spain) forces, but also for distinctive units from other belligerents (Savoy, Prussia, Bavaria).
As Strelets themselves and a good number of comments acknowledge, comprehensiveness of involved parties & troop types are essential for the desirable success of this and any new range.

Btw, I'm strongly convinced that there are much less french hobbyists solely obsessed with the napoleonic wars (or exclusively french topics in general) than many anglocentric thinking minds can imagine. :wink:

Anyway, thanks for asking and keep up your great work! :+1: