Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question For Forum Members

When I was in the seventh grade, I was home from school all week because of a major winter ice storm. On one of those days, I tried to recreate the Alamo using an old 54mm western fort as the Alamo, 1/72 Accurate Confederate Infantry as the Texans, and the 1/72 ESCI and Revell Waterloo French and British Infantry sets as the Mexicans. Completely inaccurate, yes, but still great fun.

T.V. for me in my childhood consisted of black and white channels 2, 4, 5, and 7, so during the week it was Combat, The Rat Patrol, Twelve O'clock High, and a few others then on the weekend it was Saturday and Sunday mornings of theater movies replayed on T.V. for kids early in the morning - probably to keep us kids occupied while the parents slept in.

Those movies were motivators for me. John Wayne's (John Ford's Trilogy) U.S. Cavalry movies were on the weekends replayed often so I'd get out my Airfix Fort Apache and have a bedtop battle after and same for Beau Geste and Fort Sahara. Now I like to plug in those and other DVD's on my computer on my desk and just have the noise in the background while I clean and desprew my new Strelets ACW sets (Glory), FFL sets (Beau Geste) and others. I never get tired of them and can pretty much repeat all of the scripts for all of the actors and actresses from memory now. Good, clean, entertainment and enjoyment!

I have so many, but the earliest is playing with 1st type Germans and Infantry combat group on the dining room table, I think not long after 8th army Africa korps , no rules just a six year old playing, but something clicked obviously, a year or two later the airfix poly vehicles appeared etc etc, very happy times.

My first memory of playing with soldiers was with my older brother, on the floor in the living room. One corner of the room was for the Indians, another corner was for cowboys and the rest of the floor was for WWII soldiers, all 1/32 miniatures, many from Jean Hoeffler, a popular toy producer from West-Germany in the sixties and seventies. The WWII soldiers lived in a medieval castle that was often besieged by the Indians. There were also some Arabs and a knight that came to the aid to or against the soldiers. Nothing was historically correct and everything was possible, but it was great fun in the first place. The Last of the Mohicans was my favorite story to replay with minifigures.

'My first memory of playing with soldiers was with my older brother, on the floor in the living room'

How funny. That is also my first memory of playing with toy soldiers. I was 2 years old, and we were setting up Airfix WW2 Americans and Germans, along with some tanks. To me, many years later, still a great hobby that brings me everlasting joy and happiness.

as a child i must have received every marx playset for christmas or my birthday,but i dont have any special memories of them.the one that i do remember clearly for some reason is playing with a rat patrol playset while watching the show on tv every week.

Mine is discovering a big sheet of white polystyrene foam packing that came with the fridge and scooping out 'trenches' and craters for my Airfix WWII soldiers to battle over, then coming home from school one day to find my older brother had painted it in realistic colors for me!