Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brunswick Light Guards Battalion

These are the Leib-battalion, but as noted in the Osprey Men-at-Arms:

"A new Leib-Bataillon raised from a cadre of the old Black Band, and initially known as the Leichte-Bataillon von Prostler (the name of its commander); on 14th April 1815 this unit became the Leib-battalion"

They were brigaded with the light infantry battalions, as also noted in this book, on Cent-jours website, in Nafziger's list,... through to the innumerable books on the campaign, including Hussey's recent two-volume set.

So referring to them as light (leichte) and guards (leib) ain't wrong.:smiley: :wink:

Giorgius
Hopefully Strelrts will kindly consider doing Hanover army which also participated in Waterloo. These armies from small countries help to have the whole jigsaw.
Hi ,
Sorry again about silly questions from me but in regards to Hannover troops , what is exactly the request?
Can't the British infantry be used for this ? As for heads swap several sets such as Hat Prussian reserve infantry or every Landwehr sets including the great Strelets ones should do?
Am I that wrong or....?
As one of you stated, Waterloo was not the only action and more minor nations played higher roles and were very typical uniformed like Bavaria or Wurttemberg but Hanover I can't see the real critical need.
I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong of course.
Happy weekend.
CPN

I have used various British figures for several different armies, including Hanoverians and Portuguese. Of course, new poses and interpretations of existing poses are always welcome to add diversity to my formations, but I can see why specific sets of Hanoverians might be put off until other unique and unrepresented troops are presented. JMO.

Hi Wayne,
Concur. I also had a look at the blog http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/unitesHA.php and I still don't see any critical differences but some headgear. So agree with you, some other belligerent could be more on the spotlight.
Have a great weekend everyone.
CPN

Very good looking figures, I love the sapper and the command figures will be useful. But standing to attention figures are not my favourite thing; if advancing figures for the line and light battalions were to appear sometime in the future that would be excellent.

CPN
Sorry again about silly questions from me but in regards to Hannover troops , what is exactly the request?
Can't the British infantry be used for this ? As for heads swap several sets such as Hat Prussian reserve infantry or every Landwehr sets including the great Strelets ones should do?
Am I that wrong or....?

You are right the Hanoverian troops were dressed in British uniforms. Line infantry uniforms for the line battalions and rifle style uniforms for the light battalions. The only differences were that some of the Hanoverians, especially the Landwehr were not as well equipped as their British counterparts and may have lacked some equipment, some Hanoverians may have worn plumes at the front of their shakos rather than to the side, the Landwehr wore stovepipe shakos, and the Grubenhagen light battalion had a peakless conical shako that looked like a mirliton. No need to swap heads, except to get the stovepipes, Hanoverians in schirmutz caps are almost certainly something that was invented by the 28mm wargaming community to differentiate the Hanoverians; I think it's a really good look and I always enjoy seeing Hanoverians in schirmutz caps but there's no real necessity to depict them that way because it's not actually correct.

Graeme

You are right the Hanoverian troops were dressed in British uniforms. Line infantry uniforms for the line battalions and rifle style uniforms for the light battalions. The only differences were that some of the Hanoverians, especially the Landwehr were not as well equipped as their British counterparts and may have lacked some equipment, some Hanoverians may have worn plumes at the front of their shakos rather than to the side, the Landwehr wore stovepipe shakos, and the Grubenhagen light battalion had a peakless conical shako that looked like a mirliton. No need to swap heads, except to get the stovepipes, Hanoverians in schirmutz caps are almost certainly something that was invented by the 28mm wargaming community to differentiate the Hanoverians; I think it's a really good look and I always enjoy seeing Hanoverians in schirmutz caps but there's no real necessity to depict them that way because it's not actually correct.

Hats off to your knowledgeable post, Graeme.

:clap: