Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ACW Movie Fort Wagner from "Glory"

Whilst I wouldn't want to criticise your decisions, I looked at the tick tack game and wondered why you'd spend that much on it when cheaper & better alternatives are available.

To build a simple fort, I'd use foam board (medium or high density):
https://www.corelitecomposites.com/corelite-board

If you don't see it, for free, in a builder's waste skip on any building site, you can buy a large sheet for $5. To carve it into shape takes a sharp knife. It is both easy & satisfying to do this.You could add parapets, entrances, and vary the shape with ravelins etc as you desire.

To mount it on a base board (also to be found for nothing or very little) takes some glue.

I'd texture the result with textured paint & then paint it in earth colours with a modicum of flocking. The result would be much cheaper & much more realistic than the game. Minimal modelling skills are needed and you'd get quite a lot of satisfaction from the act of creation.

To each his own, of course.

Re: ACW Movie Fort Wagner from "Glory"

Thank you Paint dog for taking the time to write such a nice article on your method. That's exactly what I was hoping to stimualate here - sharing of ideas! I enjoyed reading it very much. - GC

HD insulation foam

GarrisonClay
Thank you Paint dog for taking the time to write such a nice article on your method. That's exactly what I was hoping to stimualate here - sharing of ideas! I enjoyed reading it very much. - GC
There's lots on the internet about this topic.

Here's one:

https://dolls.wonderhowto.com/how-to/begin-carve-foam-for-dioramas-and-game-terrain-234062/

Again, not hard to use and ideal for earthen fortifications. A pal of mine is building an elaborate ww1 trench system using HD insulation foam. I don't have any photos but his looks like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/WWI-Trench-Model/

Re: HD insulation foam

Hi Paint dog,

Yep, I agree, I once bought a DVD on how to make accessories and more out of foam using a hot wire technique. But before I started my grand plan, I remembered I really don't have any extra space for wargaming or realistic diorama sized projects once I'm done.

I always enjoy your pictures, especially like the Zulu Wars pictures I can pull up on the net. I posted my hobby philosophy for my personal collection under the Fort Wagner thread below responding to Traveller1865. In the meantime I hope you and your friends keep posting your excellent pictures on the net where we can find them! - GC

The End is Nigh.

GarrisonClay
Hi Paint dog,

Yep, I agree, I once bought a DVD on how to make accessories and more out of foam using a hot wire technique. But before I started my grand plan, I remembered I really don't have any extra space for wargaming or realistic diorama sized projects once I'm done.

I always enjoy your pictures, especially like the Zulu Wars pictures I can pull up on the net. I posted my hobby philosophy for my personal collection under the Fort Wagner thread below responding to Traveller1865. In the meantime I hope you and your friends keep posting your excellent pictures on the net where we can find them! - GC
Lack of storage space......I'd agree that's the real bane of the hobby.
I am, sadly, nearly at my peak capacity. I plan to liquidate some of my collection to free up space for future purchases but realistically, I simply can't take on many new periods.

Case in point: the Foreign Legion stuff. I love the period. I love the available figures (yes, you, Strelets), I have rules that would suit ('The Men Who Would Be Kings' rules) but I don't think I'll start collecting. Even writing this makes me a little sad.....:cry: :cry: