Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ACW Movie Fort Wagner from "Glory"

Neat idea. Looking at the S&H the guy is asking for makes me think his doctor needs to change his meds. You are right about overcharging for S&H.

Yes, unbelievable, but that seller has 100% positive feedback so he's doing something right! There is another auction for about $34.00 total which wouldn't be unreasonable for me. That's about what I paid for each of my two. Old Airfix Fort Saharas sell for anywhere from $35.00 to upwards over $100.00 plus!

Cheers :thinking_face:

I know I always account for S&H into total cost before I bid or buy as well. The bottom line though is if one thinks they've gotten a bargain I'm not going to bust his or her balloon. Be happy.

Whilst I wouldn't want to criticise your decisions, I looked at the tick tack game and wondered why you'd spend that much on it when cheaper & better alternatives are available.

To build a simple fort, I'd use foam board (medium or high density):
https://www.corelitecomposites.com/corelite-board

If you don't see it, for free, in a builder's waste skip on any building site, you can buy a large sheet for $5. To carve it into shape takes a sharp knife. It is both easy & satisfying to do this.You could add parapets, entrances, and vary the shape with ravelins etc as you desire.

To mount it on a base board (also to be found for nothing or very little) takes some glue.

I'd texture the result with textured paint & then paint it in earth colours with a modicum of flocking. The result would be much cheaper & much more realistic than the game. Minimal modelling skills are needed and you'd get quite a lot of satisfaction from the act of creation.

To each his own, of course.

Thank you Paint dog for taking the time to write such a nice article on your method. That's exactly what I was hoping to stimualate here - sharing of ideas! I enjoyed reading it very much. - GC

HD insulation foam

GarrisonClay
Thank you Paint dog for taking the time to write such a nice article on your method. That's exactly what I was hoping to stimualate here - sharing of ideas! I enjoyed reading it very much. - GC
There's lots on the internet about this topic.

Here's one:

https://dolls.wonderhowto.com/how-to/begin-carve-foam-for-dioramas-and-game-terrain-234062/

Again, not hard to use and ideal for earthen fortifications. A pal of mine is building an elaborate ww1 trench system using HD insulation foam. I don't have any photos but his looks like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/WWI-Trench-Model/

Re: HD insulation foam

Hi Paint dog,

Yep, I agree, I once bought a DVD on how to make accessories and more out of foam using a hot wire technique. But before I started my grand plan, I remembered I really don't have any extra space for wargaming or realistic diorama sized projects once I'm done.

I always enjoy your pictures, especially like the Zulu Wars pictures I can pull up on the net. I posted my hobby philosophy for my personal collection under the Fort Wagner thread below responding to Traveller1865. In the meantime I hope you and your friends keep posting your excellent pictures on the net where we can find them! - GC

The End is Nigh.

GarrisonClay
Hi Paint dog,

Yep, I agree, I once bought a DVD on how to make accessories and more out of foam using a hot wire technique. But before I started my grand plan, I remembered I really don't have any extra space for wargaming or realistic diorama sized projects once I'm done.

I always enjoy your pictures, especially like the Zulu Wars pictures I can pull up on the net. I posted my hobby philosophy for my personal collection under the Fort Wagner thread below responding to Traveller1865. In the meantime I hope you and your friends keep posting your excellent pictures on the net where we can find them! - GC
Lack of storage space......I'd agree that's the real bane of the hobby.
I am, sadly, nearly at my peak capacity. I plan to liquidate some of my collection to free up space for future purchases but realistically, I simply can't take on many new periods.

Case in point: the Foreign Legion stuff. I love the period. I love the available figures (yes, you, Strelets), I have rules that would suit ('The Men Who Would Be Kings' rules) but I don't think I'll start collecting. Even writing this makes me a little sad.....:cry: :cry: