Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Battle of the USS Kearsarge and the CSS Alabama (1887 lithograph)

Another great painting of Sailors fighting on board their ship showing the excellent weapons and accoutrements they used on sea and land (my favorite artwork as a kid):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/
commons/b/bd/Kearsarge_and_Alabama.jpg

Re: ACW US Naval Landing Party Attacks Fort Fisher

If you ever find yourself near Wilmington, NC, you can visit old Ft Fisher. When I was stationed at Ft Bragg I visited there several times. It's worth the trip-much of the old fort "walls" or embankments are still standing and I remember the museum as being pretty nice.

There's also the USS Alabama in Wilmington, too. Great tour.

Thank you, Wayne. Sounds like a great experience. I did the Alamo a couple of times and when standing on that hallowed ground, everything gets real quiet and time just stands still. I'm out west now but hope some day to drive a camper and do some historical site-seeing! Thanks again - GC

I love the Alamo, too. My wife and I started going for the Texas Toy Soldier Show and kept returning. The best time is late at night after the crowd has died off and you can sit on the stone walls in front and the lights shine on the church. It's almost holy.

ACW Naval Landing Party has been on my want list forever. I would buy lots of them.
Mike Bunkermeister Creek

It's a great idea, been working on some Fort Fisher accessories like the 150 pounder Armstrong gun, other guns at Fisher were columbiads, 7" Brooke rifles that are also complete and the revetments will completed soon. The fence is missing but we already have some U.S. Marines. If someone has correct images of the boats used by the landing party I'd be thankful.

A great painting showing the landing, I hope this is how the completed set will look like:

Right now missing the boat model, and figures with oars.

Dear Traveller1865,

Wow! Sounds great. I hope you get to post some pictures on the internet when you're done. I'd love to see them.

I totally agree, the 150 pounder Armstrong gun, columbiads, and 7" Brooke rifles are the coolest ACW Heavy Cannons. Hopefully Strelets will make us some someday!

My aim at 1/72 collecting has always been to put together Playsets in our scale. This way they come out of a box, use it, then it goes right back in at the end of the day. There truly are so few theme based sets in our scale. I mostly put the soldiers - Infantry or Cavalry - in separate Soldier only Boxes, then themed sets for Accessories. Because of your comments I remembered I wanted to put together a "Burnside Bridge Playset".

Because of the being able to box my stuff up at the end of the day goal, my Fort Fisher Playset will be made around Marx reissue cannon redoubt mounds and Italeri's Battlefield Accessory Sets. Not perfect, but close enough for my tastes and needs.

OK, keep us updated and have fun! - GC

GarrisonClay
Dear Traveller1865,

Wow! Sounds great. I hope you get to post some pictures on the internet when you're done. I'd love to see them.

I totally agree, the 150 pounder Armstrong gun, columbiads, and 7" Brooke rifles are the coolest ACW Heavy Cannons. Hopefully Strelets will make us some someday!

My aim at 1/72 collecting has always been to put together Playsets in our scale. This way they come out of a box, use it, then it goes right back in at the end of the day. There truly are so few theme based sets in our scale. I mostly put the soldiers - Infantry or Cavalry - in separate Soldier only Boxes, then themed sets for Accessories. Because of your comments I remembered I wanted to put together a "Burnside Bridge Playset".

Because of the being able to box my stuff up at the end of the day goal, my Fort Fisher Playset will be made around Marx reissue cannon redoubt mounds and Italeri's Battlefield Accessory Sets. Not perfect, but close enough for my tastes and needs.

OK, keep us updated and have fun! - GC
The Brooke gun is already done, though at Fisher I think they were mounted on other barbette types and were only one band.

This is a project that could be completed through crowdfunding, though so many are against that..

A model showing the revetment model which allows you to construct the artillery emplacements.

Fence section that will form a longer palisade outside of Fort Fisher done, just needs to be a little higher..

Traveller1865
Fence section that will form a longer palisade outside of Fort Fisher done, just needs to be a little higher..

Dear Traveller1865,

Looks and sounds fantastic. I also really like your figure pictured, my favorite pose and uniform, both with kepi and Stetson and with socks and trousers tucked in.

Hope you keep posting! :slightly_smiling_face:

150-pounder Armstrong next to a 15-inch Rodman

Wow, outstanding work! Looks so real. Hope you keep posting some pics as your projects progresses along. I like to relax by seeing other's great work. Thank you again for posting! - GC

Some very interesting ideas but the naval idea could be expanded. Certainly, 19th century artillery pieces would be ideal. The 18pdr siege gun is an obvious choice.

As Napoleonic are the theme at the moment why not British marine naval parties for the latter part of the conflict. Before someone mentions the HaT set it limited in poses and quality. The year 1812 (including invasion of Canada etc) comes to mind when the RMs were in action on both sides of the pond.