Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Movies?

Wayne W
On Malik's "Thin Red Line" I always said there's a great war movie in there if you could edit out about 45 minutes to an hour of navel gazing.
Navel gazing are they looking at belly buttons ?
Joking aside I too think that band of brothers is great & saving private Ryan & although it's in black & white the longest day is pretty good as well.
But my two most watched are the battle of Britain & waterloo the casting of Napoleon & wellington (Christopher Plummer & rod Steiger) is sublime.

Interesting how they change the titles for the UK etc:
Under sandet -under the sand
Just to prove me wrong the Danish film 9.April translates as 9th April and is sold as such in the UK. It is a film about the Danish experience of war at the start of WWII- April 1940. I presume April 9th is a date etched in Danish memories like the 6th June and needs no subtitle. Maybe it is also safe to say that is one of the only/few films to have the Danish Army portrayed in their M23 helmets.

So Many good films for so many reasons, Battle of Britain, Waterloo, Zulu because my Dad took me and they are still to this day my top three, but as already said Cruel sea, watched it again only this week, Sea of Sand, and the Desert war has been under done at the movies, modern films /TV Band of Brothers and Pacific were superb, Private Ryan, I liked Thin Red line, yes the start is dragged out , but war is 99% boredom and 1% terror, Cross of Iron was good , Das boot , 633 squadron because it was entertaining and I worked with the son of the guy who wrote the book. I could go on and on , there are so many that have left a mark, I am a sucker for a half decent war film.

Saw my first war movie 60 years ago and I think its still one of the better. Not mentioned in the previous posts so I give you the 1949 B/W movie Battle ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_(film)

A lot of films would be higher on my list of favourite war movies but one that really made a lasting impression on me was "Paths To glory". It explores some very weighty themes, but the scene that really sticks in my head is where the French Generals planning an attack casually calculate the number of their men that will be killed by their own artillery.

Agree entirely about the unnescessary 'navel gazing' at the beginning of "The Thin Red Line" it was worse for me due to my partial deafness and modern actor's panchant for mumbling. I thought the title was an odd choice too.

"Ice Cold in Alex"

Cant think of a new war movie that I've watched recently except perhaps "Hacksaw Ridge" which was rather better than I expected..

I also thought the HBO Series "The Pacific" really good as well....

:wink: