Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSR?

Plastic Soldier Review is the place I always look at before I consider buying a new set(especially New Manufacturers) Thanks to PSR I don't have some massive Mamelukes, some ugly LRDG or many other poor efforts from various Manufacturers. So they have saved me money and disappointment. From a constructive view-point, their critiques are useful to manufacturers who wish to improve their products to an acceptable standard.
RedBox are a good example: They are evolving into a first-rate figure manufacturer that produces good sculptures.

Plastic Soldier Review ("PSR") is my No. 1 Go To site each day. The thing I always remind myself of is it's a "Free Resource" devoted specifically to our scale military figures in soft plastic - Bingo! That's my hobby.

I wrote Dave Keen years ago and asked about PSR's plans and he said it would always remain a free resource - no subscription fees. Again - Bingo!

The site has great photos, interesting historical articles, lots of really cool comparison photos for size and details between manufacturers ... it really never ends. Unbelievable. And it works for all Hobbiests - Wargamers, Dioramists, Painters and Non-painters, Collectors for no particular reason, and all others.

PSR is also to me an on-line Town Plaza that can allow me/us to come together and enjoy finding forums and friends to share information and opinions, look for Sellers and producers and more 24/7.

Immediate examples that come to mind are "AP" who posted colorized photos on this forum of Boer War Commandos which has given me a much more deeper visual insight to those incredible people. Yes, I admit I'm a very "visual" person, and those were amazing. And "ironsides" who posted a link to so many images of Cape Wagons on another site. I still go back often and use it as a resource for conversions of my new Cape Wagons. And "Bert", who got us all thinking here and everyone else who commented - Thanks guys!

So don't forget how lucky we are and raise a symbolic pint for our PSR friends for such an awesome Free Resource, and to "Strelets" for their friendly open Forum that also helps to bring us all together. True for me, "The best things in life are free."

Cheers, mates!

Hi. I agree that we should greatly appreciate both PSR & to Strelets. With regard to Hegemony, though their sets need to become better, I admire the fact that they touch the Indian Mutiny, a period which is a gap in our hobby. Hopefully it will inspire Strelets to cover this period with their masterly style. We live in hope.

My concern with the likes of this Hegemony effort (although very little effort seems to have been involved) is the same as with other poorly executed efforts.....when other Manufacturers are later approached to do the same subject properly they say "its already been done by XYZ".

I just hope someone does decent sets for the Indian Mutiny.

yesterday I was able to get on for five minutes. It isn't looking good as this morning I'm back to no connection :0(

Everyone has said what needs to be said about how great PSR are, my only regret is there isn't an equivalent for fantasy, horror and sci fi. With regard to Hegemony, I admire their choice of subjects and willingness to have a go and, as someone said earlier, Redbox were not great at first either. Redbox got better and Strelets got better (some of their earlier sets were horrors) so let's hope that Hegemony follow the same trajectory, continuing with innovative ideas but improving quality.

To repeat what others have written PSR, Strelets and the Strelets forum are loved liked and needed. PSR is quite fair in their reviews and to review sets that are below standard is as helpful as reviewing good sets. Hopefully the manufacturers will take note a improve the next set they make. I only started buying the new look Strelets figures because of PSR and yes a lot/most of the old sets from Redbox and Strelets were for me total **** and so far I rate Hegemony figures the same. But hope springs eternal.

To me, PSR "Critiques" sets in their Reviews, meaning to discuss both the good and the bad about figures. This way we can decide to cheer and applaud the good ones, or conversely suffer through the bad ones. PSR and Strelets both post digital photos, which also influences the success or potential lack of success of new figures. And then we can express our own critiques and opinions via forums.

All part of the fun of the hobby and beauty of our ever developing digital social media times. But, ultimately, we too as paying customers hope to influence the next generation sets to appear. That's power and strength in collective numbers.

After all is said and done and the Jungle Drums have echoed through our global valleys, I still find having the real figures in my hands are even better than all of the online postings.

(P.S. Once again, a Thank You! to AP for posting the picture of the new Hegemony set.)

I have probably spent hundreds of hours on PSR over the years and consider none of them as wasted.

Ditto. Go to site every morning. As is Strelets. Does anybody use Hat anymore! I don't find its format very attractive or user friendly and I did find its prohibition of discussion of other companies sets inhibiting. It's a shame as I think Hat did a brilliant job in helping to usher in the golden age we now live in. Perhaps it's because Strelets'forum is so lively and Strelets is so communicative and responsive that Hat seem almost unfriendly to their customers nowadays.

Graham Korn
Ditto. Go to site every morning. As is Strelets. Does anybody use Hat anymore! I don\'t find its format very attractive or user friendly and I did find its prohibition of discussion of other companies sets inhibiting. It\'s a shame as I think Hat did a brilliant job in helping to usher in the golden age we now live in. Perhaps it\'s because Strelets\'forum is so lively and Strelets is so communicative and responsive that Hat seem almost unfriendly to their customers nowadays.
From my point of view (I studied media communications and interactive graphic communications) they both have some advantages and disadvantages in their customer/presentation/communication/business - policy or the lack of it. They both could/should improve in some of them.

That being said, I'm thankful to both of them for keeping that steamer still rolling.

I visit HaT every time I go on model sites. Not every day as I have a busy life. (Mature student, Sculptor, modelmaker and classic car restorer amongst other things.) When I can I look at HaT, PSR, Strelets, W.D., and GPM.

Graham, that was my impression as well for some time but the atmosphere has improved as well as the pace of developing new sets. Well worth a visit now I think.

Not idea what happened between the two companies but as you say they do no longer seem to tolerate mentioning each other. No problem though with (briefly) referring to any third.