Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Excellent Boer War photo material

For anyone interested in the Boer War, I can only highly recommend this excellent page. Although it's a Facebook page, it's a treasure trove of high quality photo material (which has been nicely colorized).

Here is the link: Boer War Colourised Photographs

Re: Excellent Boer War photo material

Dear AP,

The images are too tempting, especially for us, who read Louis Boussenard's stories back in childhood.

Have a nice week-end,

Strelets

Dear Strelets & AP,

These colorized photos really highlight the great looking Boer Commandos. Too long looking at B&W only. Even saw a British Highlander in kilt behind a maxim mounted on a carriage.

Hopefully you will make some additional sets of both British and Boer, plus your next Boer Artillery set.

* Boer Infantry in the style of colorized photos in the previous thread (again, thank you AP)
* Boer Commander set (foot and horseback combined like the FFL and ACW but one set)
* British Commander set (foot and horseback combined like the FFL and ACW but one set)
* An additional set of British charging poses with Neck Curtains like in pictures of Spion Kop Battle
* Same for British Highlanders ...

Thank you again Strelets Team. This Campaign is really looking good. Even have one of my Long Tom Cannons and Long Cecil conversion set up here right here on my computer as I write. Just love your products!

Strelets
Dear AP,

The images are too tempting, especially for us, who read Louis Boussenard\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s stories back in childhood.

Have a nice week-end,

Strelets
Dear Strelets,

sorry, but I just can't resist to not tease that child in you a little bit more... here we go, down the memory lane :smiley:

And some more lovely book editions...

A nice weekend... and probably with a book in your hands.

Very cool website!!!

Hi AP,

11 & 12th from the top is the one!

Boers for all skirmishes between Strelets founders were taken from here:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=27

Now we have somewhat rectified the injustices in our hobby towards Boers and will continue to do so in future.

Thank you for your yet another excellent contribution!

Best regards,

Strelets

Dear AP & Strelets Team,

I've spent the first couple of hours of my day going through the colourized photos of the Boer Commandos again! They are amazing. What strikes me especially are the details - that you can actually see the veins standing out on the backs of the men's hands. And also, the very strong stare in their eyes towards the cameraman. To me, it feels like they are in the room here with me - staring into my eyes. They are so life-like, just as if we were in the pictures back in time with them. A little weird and maybe too heavy, I know, but you have to admit still just amazing!

*** To AP: If you find or are aware of the same kind of photo references, or colourized photos or sites for the British side of this war like these, please let us know or post the links here. ***

*** To Strelets

I. (Boer Famous Personalities): I hope you make another set of Boer Commandos which includes some famous personalities based off these colourized photos. Hopefully some in action poses; they don't all have to be just sitting for the camera, and list their names on the box if possible.

II. (British Pith Helmet Neck Curtains): Here is a link to a painting of "The Battle of Spion Kop" where there are at least 5 good details of British Pith Helmets with the Neck Curtain attached to their helmets. Of course I like the look, but also it makes it easy to use these men for "The Battle of Omdurman" beyond the Boer War.

Link: http://www.britishempire.me.uk/spionkop.html

III. (British Famous Personalities) A set of Famous Personalities also for this side. ****

I guess lastly, as I sign off, I want to repeat how amazing it is that I can look at these photos, and also have our Strelets' Team's figures including the Long Tom cannon sitting on my computer stand in front of me just begging to be picked up, admired and relive a little of history again, knowing that it is only going to get better soon.

Thank you Strelets' Team and AP!

Dear Strelets,

< Wikipedia.org > has a very nice listing/summary of the First Anglo-Boer War and Second Anglo-Boer War at the top, right corner of each entry. It includes dates, opposing sides, commanders, armies, etc. You may know this already, but if not it does have a listing of the famous commanders for each side. It's a good resource to double-check if you wanted to sculpt some famous personalities.

And of course < britishbattles.com > has nice executive summaries of the individual battles of each war.

Both resources I enjoy reading if I need quick information. - GC