Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New WW2 Italian and WW1 French artillery crews

AP's side-by-side comparison shows something more significant than amount of colour mix losing details.

The bases on each soldier from the figures run shows them much thicker than on the Masters. Further, the Adrian Helmets and hands on the plastic figures have none of the nice, fine, sharp details of the Masters. The Adrian Helmets lost the sharp brim.

I don't think the plastic would be expanding that much. I'm also wondering why the figures produced from the mould do not replicate the finer details of the Masters?

Dearest Strelets:

Yes, it's true. I agree with Pa and others about the loss of detail. So, hopefully we can offer you a solution from the field from a customer's perspective.

If I were your Quality Control "QC" guy (and a customer), here's what I would tell you and show you.

OBSERVATION: The problem is "It has to do with the colour mixer." Not the actual plastic, but the colour of the "pellets" (or mixer) that gets mixed with the plastic that gives us Terracotta, Tan, Blue, Grey, etc. If you mix in too little colour pellets with the plastic, then the end result is a shiny, semi-clear, waxy looking figure, that the details get lost due to reflection from daylight.

What you want, is enough colour pellets, or more colour pellets to get mixed in that gives you the result of a nice "flat" colour in production so all of the small, fine details are more easily seen.

Why do I think so; what is my proof? Well read on ...

ORION: Just this week I unboxed my Orion Chinese Boxers run in a nice "Ivory" or "Bone White" colour to use as Chinese Imperial Navy or Sailors. "Authentic Colour" for Imperial sailors. This set comes in two (2) sprews of different figures per box. I could immediately see that the first sprew without Imperial Soldiers was run at the factory with "exactly" the right amount of colour so all the figures details show up nice and "crisp." Long brided hair in pony tails, Asian face details, belts with bullets, uniform/clothing striping details. So beautiful! But the second sprew with the only three (3) "Modern Imperial Soldiers" and other fine looking "Braves" look waxy, not crisp. You can see with a magnifying glass under a light, the details are there, but they are hard to see - simi-transparent.

Why? Lack of enough colour pellets in the second sprew but just the right amount of colour in the first sprew.

No secret here. Careless attention to detail on half the run. That simple obviously. When I opened my boxes, and I held up the two sprews to compare them, all I could think was - "What happened here?!" Six (6) boxes and all half poor quality. That second sprew should have been re-run and never put into the boxes.

STRELETS: All of your Terracotta sets from the Crimean War Range through to the Boer War Long Tom set with Terracotta Crew are perfect. The darker colour is (maybe) more forgiving when mixing clear plastic with colour pellets.

Your WWII set of Code: M103 "Union of South Africa" is a nice Light Tan colour, and is perfect. All the details show nicely in a Flat Tan colour.

I have the newest Code 177: Colonial "British 15 PR 7cwt BL Gun" in my hands right now, and wish I could see the fine, nice, tiny details more easily. Not bad, but compared to the WWII Union of South Africa, that set perfectly show up all the details being in a flatter Tan colour.

THEREFORE IN SUMMARY, As an "Arm-chair QC Guy" I would suggest try running whatever mould you have set up, with the same light colour you are using now for Colonials and WWI, but try adding "more" colouring to the plastic to see if the details show up better.

If the details do not show up better, as everyone in this thread is wondering why, maybe the problem is the type of colour mix product. Hopefully just more colour mix would be the solution.

REMEMBER: My example above with the ORION set of Boxers proves how important the amount of colour vs clear plastic mixed together makes on the final product that goes into the box. I am keenly aware of this because I am a "Playset" kind of customer likes to buy, open box, and play.

I hope this helps. I'm no expert in production. But with the Orion situation, I have already called the local WARHAMMER gaming guys in town and they are going to help me to paint the second sprew to look like the nice first sprew.

In your case also, the Masters look perfect, but the test shots look soft, so it must have to do with the plastic or colouring used with it. Too many of us in this thread are seeing the same thing. So, if you made it to this point, thank you for reading this far, and thank you for such truly wonderful products!

GC

You really cant compare the masters with the final product because of the type of tooling thats being used, theres always going to be some loss of definition no matter what... plus these are probably test shots intended to test the viability of the tool, some minor adjustment to pressure and temperature may well produce a better result..

Leave it to the Masters of short run...

Just my thoughts :wink:

ironsides
You really cant compare the masters with the final product because of the type of tooling thats being used, theres always going to be some loss of definition no matter what... plus these are probably test shots intended to test the viability of the tool, some minor adjustment to pressure and temperature may well produce a better result..

Well, the problem is that Strelets is publishing the final products on their page not test shots. While yes, you can't achieve the same detail compared to masters with this kind of tooling, you definitely can achieve better results than what's shown in this latest pics.

My criticism and concern is meant in a positive spirit and with a desire for a quality product worth the sculptors work, us customers and Strelets as the probably leading 1/72 plastic figure manufacturer. We have enough products coming out with questionable quality control and blobby end results.

AP
ironsides

Well, the problem is that Strelets is publishing the final products on their page not test shots. While yes, you can\\\'t achieve the same detail compared to masters with this kind of tooling, you definitely can achieve better results than what\\\'s shown in this latest pics.

My criticism and concern is meant in a positive spirit and with a desire for a quality product worth the sculptors work, us customers and Strelets as the probably leading 1/72 plastic figure manufacturer. We have enough products coming out with questionable quality control and blobby end results.

Dear AP,

You took the words right out of my mouth! :-)

and Dear Ironsides,

I hope your words of confidence prove that none of us have anything to worry about. :-)

You guys, Pa, and all the others herein - and Strelets, of course - are tops!

I dont believe it says anywhere that this is the final product, but its clearly a "short shot" as theres one pose missing from the original line up, if its the case it cannot now be corrected and bear in mind the tool should survive about 10-12000 shots (based on Strelets own comments)and this is probably only the first few then that would be a real shame, I will put my faith in Strelets tool makers correcting the problem as these are really needed...

:wink: