Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: French Tanks.

I too would like to know if these tanks are still going to be produced.
I am more interested in the Schneider tank as I actually work for Schneider Electric UK which is related to the original firm that built the tanks.

It always amazes to me that I can all those Fantasy "1946" tanks and jet aircraft and even Nazi flying saucers but tanks such as the British MkV/V* tank and its variations (also used by Americans, French, Soviets and Baltic states and it is claimed seen in Berlin 1945) have been totally ignored in 1/72 plastic. The sames goes for WW1 French equipment.

I had high hopes that such subjects would appear during the centenary of the Great War but nothing appeared.

The Schnieder would be a welcome addition.

Oh, good grief. Don't start the "Mark Vs in Berlin 1945" debate again. And don't take any notice of what Wikipedia says.

Those two Mark Vs were from a force sent to Russia to assist the Tsarists. They were then captured by and put into service with the Red Army. After serving until maybe 1930 they were retired and later placed outside Smolensk Cathedral. We know the number of one of them and can trace it right back to the factory in GB and the action it saw in France in WWI. The other was repainted while in Soviet hands, so the number isn't known.

The Germans captured Smolensk in 1941, and in 1943 an exhibition was held in Berlin of equipment captured in Russia. These two tanks were included. They were placed in a line with various artillery pieces in the Lustgarten, opposite Berlin Cathedral.

In 1945 Berlin was captured by the Soviets, and fighting took place in the area of "Museum Island", as it's called. There are a couple of dozen photographs taken before and after the fighting; in the later ones the two tanks are badly damaged. That has led some people to claim that the Mark Vs took part in the fighting. However, there is no written evidence of that having happened, and the photos can be interpreted in a number of ways. It should also be remembered that by that time the tanks were nearly 30 years old.

So if anyone claims that these tanks were "in service until 1945", the answer is that there is no evidence. The best we can do is August 1941, when 4 Mk Vs were used as static strongpoints during the defence of Talinn.

Warwick Hunt
Oh, good grief. Don't start the "Mark Vs in Berlin 1945" debate again. And don't take any notice of what Wikipedia says.

Those two Mark Vs were from a force sent to Russia to assist the Tsarists. They were then captured by and put into service with the Red Army. After serving until maybe 1930 they were retired and later placed outside Smolensk Cathedral. We know the number of one of them and can trace it right back to the factory in GB and the action it saw in France in WWI. The other was repainted while in Soviet hands, so the number isn't known.

The Germans captured Smolensk in 1941, and in 1943 an exhibition was held in Berlin of equipment captured in Russia. These two tanks were included. They were placed in a line with various artillery pieces in the Lustgarten, opposite Berlin Cathedral.

In 1945 Berlin was captured by the Soviets, and fighting took place in the area of "Museum Island", as it's called. There are a couple of dozen photographs taken before and after the fighting; in the later ones the two tanks are badly damaged. That has led some people to claim that the Mark Vs took part in the fighting. However, there is no written evidence of that having happened, and the photos can be interpreted in a number of ways. It should also be remembered that by that time the tanks were nearly 30 years old.

So if anyone claims that these tanks were "in service until 1945", the answer is that there is no evidence. The best we can do is August 1941, when 4 Mk Vs were used as static strongpoints during the defence of Talinn.
Yes, I have always considered it is very unlikely that the were used in Berlin but it seems that ANY captured tank used by the third Reich has the potential to be produced by certain manufacturers in their desperation to find more subjects. I would be quite happy to see iron crossed British or French tanks if it means unusual allied AFVs are produced.

Were the Talinn ones those with what looks like 45mm anti tank guns replacing the machine guns?

Mind you the RN did get one MKIV running in the dark day in 1940 complete with Lewis gun anti aircraft defense. It made an interesting subject as a conversion job!

Were the Talinn ones those with what looks like 45mm anti tank guns replacing the machine guns?

Apparently so, and water-cooled Maxims in the female sponsons.

Mind you the RN did get one MKIV running in the dark day in 1940 complete with Lewis gun anti aircraft defense. It made an interesting subject as a conversion job!

Originally called "Fearless", then "Excellent", and donated to Bovington museum in 1971. Still there. I've been in it.

Dear Warwick Hunt,

No time line for a time-being.
Regards,

Strelets

Oh dear. I hope I live to see them. Thank you.

Warwick Hunt
Me too:disappointed:

Early war Miniatures do a Schneider and St Chamond as well as other vehicles such as the Latil Tar etc in 20mm, so its not the end the world for gamers at least...

:wink:

Irregular also do a Schneider...

Warwick Hunt

Warwick, I also would love to obtain noteworthy 1/72 kits of the Char Schneider CA and Saint-Chamond finally. While Strelets seems to concentrate on other subjects at the moment, I live in hope that Takom and/or HobbyBoss might offer scaled-down versions of their very nice 1/35 kits one day.