Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mounted rifs

Am I to assume we are just getting one set ? foot, mounted on horse and camels in one set . Very good ,and I will be buying a few.

Re: Mounted rifs

Alan Buckingham
Am I to assume we are just getting one set ? foot, mounted on horse and camels in one set . Very good ,and I will be buying a few.
Hi Alan,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you may have missed the release of the first set of "Foot RIF Rebels" Code #185, released just last New Years Season.

If this is in fact what's happened, then you'll definitely want to pick up some sets of this. This is the set with the RIF War Rebel's "Command Sprew."

This set is my personal favorite set of all Arabs mainly because the Rebels appear to be carrying low tech bolt-action single shot rifles, except for the one guy firing off a Lewis Gun from his waist. If the Winchester was "the gun that won the west", then the Lewis gun must have done the same for the Arabs!

If you're looking for Arabs with more firing power per man, then I'd recommend jumping to the "Lawrence of Arabia" sets where they carry rifles that hold a clip, plus the machine gun poses.

So, as you mention regarding horses and camels, both the RIF War Campaign and Lawrence of Arabia Campaign(s) now have Foot, Horse, and Camel poses.

Strelets camels include a pose hunkered down on the ground so you can have an Arab firing from behind him just like the British Camelry did in the famous movie Khartoum.

What else is nice is you can trim off the pegs on the legs of the Camelry and with a little pulling and tweaking use any rider, intended horse or camel, on either animal. The Strelets Camels all come with nice saddle horns so they don't fall off. The Airfix camels are a great match for these, however, they don't come with saddle horns so youd need to add them yourself.

Anyway, I hope this tells you something you didn't know already! Have a great weekend - GC

Hi GC , No, I did not miss them, but they were Arab revolt figures with a Rif label on them , so I had hoped we would see at least three more sets of Rif figures , foot, mounted horse and camel, this set seems to be all three in one.

Another set with just a Rif label.
The Riffi wore hooded djellabahs and they didn't wear face veils. That was a Tuareg thing. Also the use of bandoliers was rare as was the use of scimitars.

For Arab revolt and fighting the FL, yes... for Rif war, sadly no.

These look as nice as the Foot Rif rebels, and I'm very pleased with those. Personally, I am happy to have them for use as generic arabs over a wide range of geography and time. (I had never heard of the Rif War until a few months ago, and it's not high on my list of interests.)

There was also a promise of #192 'Rif Rebellion'. Do we know anything more about that?

rmfex2003
These look as nice as the Foot Rif rebels, and I'm very pleased with those. Personally, I am happy to have them for use as generic arabs over a wide range of geography and time. (I had never heard of the Rif War until a few months ago, and it's not high on my list of interests.)

There was also a promise of #192 'Rif Rebellion'. Do we know anything more about that?
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for my Airfix Arabs but I am also grateful to Strelets for making all the RIF Arabs and Lawrence of Arabia Arabs. Like rmfex2003 I also had never heard of the RIF War and am happy to have so many new Strelets Arab sets to mix and match an army any way I want for Beau Geste, or WWI, or the RIF War, or ... "Thanks Strelets Team!"

Strelets would do well to retitle the RIF War Campaign to something else as so far none of the sets produced or shown has anything much to do with the Rif War and the Rif Rebels sets aren`t even much use for North Africans generally either apart from a few poses.
A generic set of Berbers( or possibly two-one mounted and one on foot) would be much more appropriate as opponents for the FFL or other French Colonial forces (should any appear)
So for the time being I´m sticking with the also flawed in some respects but still usable ESCI and Airfix sets.

How about making them in air force blue and calling them RIF-RAF? :)

Thanks, I'll see myself out............

This one made me laugh two days in a row. "RIF-RAF" - Good one!

All joking aside, after all the discussion about details on the RIF-RAF's, I got out my magnifying glass, and was just blown away by all the fine details. They are really great Arab-looking opponents for the FFL. So nice so, in fact, I just ordered three (3) more boxes just in case they begin to become hard to find in the future.

Have a nice weekend you comedians - GC