Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Late Qing Era

Thank you for your answers guys!

@GarrisonClay: I fully agree with you, the asian conflicts of this time like sino-japanese and russo-japanese war were such important and big happenings in the world and I think there are many hobbyists who are waiting to get such great sounding sets which are on your list

Re: Late Qing Era (Strelets Set Already)

It looks like Strelets has already made a "Colonial" set that will work for the Boxer Rebellion Collectors. While looking through Google Images I came across a photo of President Herbert Hoover's wife, Lou, leaning against a similar cannon to Strelets' "Cresout Long Tom with Boer Crew."

The photo was taken during the early stages of the Boxer Rebellion at the Battle of Tientsin before the Boxers reached Peking.

The link is for a book written about her. Paste the link below into your browser and give it time to upload and then click on the picture of the book's cover to check out the book's "Look Inside" Preview. Scroll to the photo on the inside of the book and use the "+" button at top to enlarge the photo.

I've already got one of these Strelets cannons built and also have the RedBox "Civilian Volunteers" with female defenders for the British Legation.

What a nice coincidental surprise. I sure hope Strelets keeps making additional Colonial sets that can work for various wars, campaigns, and battles during this exciting time!

Link (have fun):

https://www.amazon.com/Brave-Bold-First-Lady-Hoover/dp/1987740211/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/132-7505043-8057808?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1987740211&pd_rd_r=fcd1a79b-5943-11e9-9c56-b9e9f5e85b72&pd_rd_w=ioB0U&pd_rd_wg=JQWZ6&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=BKFQ86TSYJQ68VKS420A&psc=1&refRID=BKFQ86TSYJQ68VKS420A

I don´t see really a market for these figures and conflict. Redbox did already most of the figures. Why should Strelets produce the same figures?

There are still so many interesting conflicts and armies who are missing figures in 1/72, that Strelets should look to continue their American-British-War-theme or the Boer Wars or Napoleonic Ottomans.....

The purpose of this thread is to ask for Late Qing Dynasty sets. There are only 3 Imperial Trooper poses in one of two Boxer sets.

So there is virtually a complete lack of Imperial soldiers for this time.

The Qing Dynasty, being the final Imperial Dynasty in Chinese history, is the ultimate time when they attempted to Westernize some of their troops, and yet remain traditional with others. Collectors who are fascinated by things Oriental can appreciate the Traditional Uniforms of this final Imperial Army before complete upgrading. I and others have listed our favorites in detail in various entries in this thread.

During and very soon after the Boxer Rebellion, we begin losing the purest of old China as their palaces were looted and burned. No more hiding behind the Great Wall of China. "Change, adapt, or die." China made major upgrades to Western standards, especially during the Sino-Japanese War, Russo-Japanese War, ... which all occurred in quick succession.

Strelets has been undertaking making Colonial sets so now is exactly the time to ask for some of their focus on this most interesting time of change.

I would buy Chinese regular infantry (as there are two good sets of boxers).

A jingal "elephant rifle" with two man crew would be cute.

Agreed that a decent set of Japanese infantry would have further use for the Russo-Japanese War, and probably others too.

Until then, what do people use as stand-ins for regular Chinese infantry? I am looking at Redbox Russian infantry, but the heads are of course lacking the signature pigtails.

Pa
I would buy Chinese regular infantry (as there are two good sets of boxers).

A jingal "elephant rifle" with two man crew would be cute.

Agreed that a decent set of Japanese infantry would have further use for the Russo-Japanese War, and probably others too.

Until then, what do people use as stand-ins for regular Chinese infantry? I am looking at Redbox Russian infantry, but the heads are of course lacking the signature pigtails.
Hi Pa,

It would be nice to see Strelets, Orion, and/or RedBox make some dedicated sets of Regular Chinese Troops for the Boxer Rebellion and other important Campaigns of the time.

The reality that you are having to ask what other sets will work in a pinch highlights the need for new sets. (1) Only 3 poses in Orions set of Boxers that are wearing Western Style Uniforms of the time, plus (2) both Orion and RedBox did nice jobs of artistically showing the Asian facial features on all of their figures (substituting Russians for Chinese ignores this very important feature).

Hopefully we will see some made for us! Anyway, I'll repeat below what I would like to see made:

1. Chinese Imperial Troops and Generals (in Traditional Uniform for the time)
Huai Army 1894, in Mandarin Caps
Qing Dynasty Manchu Troops, wearing Coolie hats with Tassles
Qing Dynasty Troops in Mandarin Hats

2. Qing Artillery

3. Good Set of U.S. Marines (in Blue Plastic)

4. Chinese Navy

5. Chinese Executioner with sword raised and Boxer accused victim (nothing gory; pre-execution) Very, very common event

fully support Strelets make Late Qing Era, Chinese Bandits (late Qing) will be nice. But I doubt Strelets have any interest on Eastern subjects.

I would buy Qing/Late Qing troops also. Some good suggestions were made, which made even me interested in this 'modern' era.