Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Nappy French.....

You can never have enough French infantry so the saying goes & these are nice figures I will be buying them both sets thanks Mr strelets

It's like WW2 Germans - they fought about EVERYBODY; you can't do the period without them. So the more the merrier.

Thanks to strelets for these original poses and very interesting. One of the peculiarities of the imperial army is that it was able to walk 30 to 40 kilometers a day and fight right afterwards. The soldiers said: the emperor wins the battles thanks to our legs. Until now this is an aspect that had never been developed when the French army was the fastest army in Europe. These few figures illustrate my point very well.

The first set I will definitely buy, probably in numbers to create four fusilier companies. The second set with the muskets over the right shoulder I am not so sure about. As far as I have gathered, only NCO's carried their weapons there.

Re: More Napoleonic French.....

Small moan - to me a nappy is something used to catch the waste of an infant...

Thomas
The first set I will definitely buy, probably in numbers to create four fusilier companies. The second set with the muskets over the right shoulder I am not so sure about. As far as I have gathered, only NCO's carried their weapons there.
The first thing I thought is: the rifle is on the wrong side. But ... on a battlefield I do not think soldiers used rifle straps. For the simple walk on road I do not think that the rifle on the right was mandatory.

@Wagram,
It is possible of course, however I yet have to come across a reference on how muskets were carried other than on the left shoulder, strap or no strap. Strelets highlanders and British infantry on the march are also depicted carrying their muskets on the left. They do have straps. Only the fusiliers de marins of the early 20th century are on a fairly rare picture shown to march with weapons on the right shoulder. Apparently manuals dating back to the early 19th century still exist specifically stating that fusils are carried left by infantry.

Dear Wagram 1809,

the idea behind is to have all stages:
marching in columns on the road
marching in formations on battlefield before fire contact with an enemy
approaching enemy under fire
attack

Best regards,

Strelets

Regarding marching columns on the road:

In the real world, if you're walking from Paris to Moscow, carrying a drill manual on your shoulder, how long before you swap shoulders?

A bigger issue for me is the fact these are wearing greatcoats. Maybe they're hiding a Bardin uniform under that greatcoat; I don't think French troops in Bardin uniform are oversupplied.

Alan.
I think giving Napoleon units of SAS and LRDG would be a bit of an unfair advantage. But what the heck if Strelets made them I'd buy them, and I'm sure there's vehicles out there somewhere.

Graeme , strangely enough I had not thought of putting them on a table alongside the little corporal :joy: however if they came in blue plastic with Napoleon as a bonus figure I would still buy them too:relaxed:

They're wearing fusilier pompoms and greatcoats, but they've got the crossbelts and swords of elites. Better to clear up the confusion now or face the same problem as the earlier set of "French Infantry on the March".

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1578