Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HOW COME NOBODY EVER MADE FORMATIONS OF INFANTRY LIKE TRHIS?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/f0/b1/94f0b14d53eeac38ca9c2bbbfdada4c7.jpg why nobody ever made sets likely this for napoleonic periods first two lines advencing ? that would be huge seller for all napoleonic wars armies. linK is on picture of reenacement frnch line infantry first two lines advencing forward.that would be huge seller as well as for different periods like civil war, 7 year wars ... and so on formations..

Re: HOW COME NOBODY EVER MADE FORMATIONS OF INFANTRY LIKE TRHIS?

I must agree.

Also, the march attack pose:
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=1943

Napoleonic figures, standing at attention, no matter how well sculpted have limited use for me.

yes yes yes im sorry when I copied link 1 leter "g" at the end is missing. didn't copied.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/f0/b1/94f0b14d53eeac38ca9c2bbbfdada4c7.jpg

scene from movie could be used for making advancing line figures for many armies of Napoleonic sets and others musket&bayonet wars for line formations other periods as well which used similar stile of warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSowOS4Wyg

PAVOL
yes yes yes im sorry when I copied link 1 leter "g" at the end is missing. didn't copied.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/f0/b1/94f0b14d53eeac38ca9c2bbbfdada4c7.jpg

scene from movie could be used for making advancing line figures for many armies of Napoleonic sets and others musket&bayonet wars for line formations other periods as well which used similar stile of warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSowOS4Wyg
No problem, Pavel. I found it. The clip is from S. Bondarchuk's 'War & Peace' (great movie!).

I can use a few battalions standing at ease (but not at attention). Advancing infantry is

much more suitable for wargames.

I agree with you : the figurines at attention have little interest on a battlefield, even to make a square. It is the soldiers on the march and the shooters who must be the most numerous. Even bayonet fighting was extremely rare until 1813.

That advancing pose is my favourite as well. I like firing lines, and I can use marchers behind the advancing figures, but that advancing at the low port pose has a satisfyingly martial look to it.

Yes we can all agree marching are needed always as it was main activity on battlefield in napoleonic wars and front lines firing and advancing and also loading in different stages .yes advancing at low port is my favorite too.I wish I had complete sets of advancing at low Porte.Defenetly I can use them to full capacity:-)

I think the main thing a napoleonic infantry man did was march, standing around waiting to march was pretty high on the list as well, as that could be done while waiting to be shot at, fed, billetted, shouted at or just generally abused.

The exciting bit - the attack marching only took up a little of their time. I agree there should be poses like this but for me the preference will always be standing or marching figures.

Steve Pickstock
I think the main thing a napoleonic infantry man did was march, standing around waiting to march was pretty high on the list as well, as that could be done while waiting to be shot at, fed, billetted, shouted at or just generally abused.

The exciting bit - the attack marching only took up a little of their time. I agree there should be poses like this but for me the preference will always be standing or marching figures.
I see your point but I think you're wrong. Napoleonic soldiers would have spent more time sleeping than any other activity.

I don't want a set of sleeping figures either.

Apologies if you've read this before but:

I can't deny that soldiers spend 99.99% of their waking hours either standing about doing nothing, or marching to the place where they are going to stand about doing nothing; but I will observe that it's the other 0.01% of the time that is the reason we call them 'soldiers' and not 'pedestrians'.

marching long distances lower marching speed was normal back then don’t forget they had to move cannons by horses and in army they were many older veterans so more steady marching but in much slower pace .now I ment on batelfield and campaign long marches.of course I wasn’t talking about peacetime .in peacetime most veterans where very frequently drinking,gambling and chasing women. And of corse they wouldn’t sleep on battlefield either. Prior battle so thouse dioramas would be harder to make of course and would require more space in houses,more money to buy extra buildings and they wouldn’t sell as well because how you going to put it together with other armies (opponents) plus it would be boring for me.but battlefield it is the most time the opponents have met eye to eye and that is why is more excited time for the most because it’s dangerous time for bing in field with so meny troops involved in heat of battle so yes battle is what is the most interesting for me.and long marches on campaign wasn’t that pretty site soldiers wouldn’t be carrying muskets that frequenly on one shoulder only but whatever method was comfortable for them that is why they had slings on muskets.head gear to would be removed if individuals felt like it.so much more diversity for troops or 1812 winter marches for french army as they grabbed protective warm clothes from civilians dead soldiers.some ceremony soldiers can be used for early stage just before battle when soldiers are saluting their emperor,but little use for me.. as I want the most exacting time on battlefield when troops received orders and started to move in mass formations in all they glory and some already engaged enemy that is what I prefer the most.

The simple answer is historical accuracy. The infantry - all armies - moved around the battlefield at a slow marching pace of around 70 to 90 steps per minute, with their muskets/firelocks carried more or less vertically at the shoulder. It was done that way for very good reasons: it was essential to maintain the integrity of the firing lines (by maintaining shoulder contact) while moving, also the pose with the musket at low port (or 'charge bayonets') is very tiring with a ten pound plus, five foot long weapon with a 15 inch bayonet on the end. Trust me, I've tried it. The musket was only brought down to eye level for the last few paces of a bayonet charge. And for Hollywood movies.

The plethora of marching figures is long overdue IMHO and very welcome; perhaps one day the same approach will be taken with cavalry sets instead of all the headlong galloping Derby racers waving swords aimlessly all over the place!