Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What was never done before for napoleonic period?british infantry in square formation and French

I agree with your wishes, but I don´t like to have too tall figures. 25 or 26 mm is too much: Italeri did it with many sets and they are rubbish for everyone who wants to create dioramas and to combine figures. Who has bought Waterloo´s last set of prussian officers? 22,5 or 23 mm without hats should been the maximum!

I am missing most
russian line infantry for 1812/13
austrian-hungarian line infantry, grenadiers (other boots and trousers!) and hussars for 1809-13
prussian artillery - especially horse artillery after 1807
prussian lancers

and please less standing sets ... and more fighting sets also in closed combat

Re: What was never done before for napoleonic period?british infantry in square formation and French

I too would like to see Strelets make fighting sets to go with their recent Highlander
and British standing and marching sets. Also, I'd like to see them re-release the British
command set! I'd also like to see French Revolution sets with betraggled Sans Coulouttes
in Liberty caps!

Certainly Netherlands Carabineers for the Hundred Days has never been done in plastic. Yes they have been done in metal and resin at an excruciatingly high price but nothing plastic. Also Netherlands hussars for the same period can only be achieved by multi-conversions. Other than some old and clumsy Airfix, plus some inadequately sculpted Esci, there is nothing to cover the Hundred days British/KGL/Hanoverian Hussars.

However as previously stated by a previous contributor, we make do with what we can get. There is only one set of French Foot Artillery in habite-veste, and that is the lamentable Airfix. I make do with the Zvezda. In fact like most collectors I make do with a great many "nearly but not quite" sets.

I'm also realistic enough to know that my suggestions probably wouldn't be financially viable.

Nope - wouldn't be interested in any of those- to be honest my collection is pretty complete now in fact I would be annoyed if anyone brought out a set that I had painstakingly converted from something.

Hey Philip good for you but I’m infantrymen and I didn’t have time to make conversation as my free time in the army was very limited plus I was moving around frequently from one location to another.so I have questions for you. How did you manage to make british (English-Scottish) squares with first line on knees pointing bayonets towards horses chests, what sets did you use for that and how many? As for imperial guard horse grenadiers I’m thinking did you use french italeri dragoons for conversation and removed heads? And how did you manage to convert to horse guard gendarmerie to get triple covers for pistols on horses saddles and what heads did you use for them to make bearskins with shields? And for 100 days campaign they had helmets which where unique as 100 of them where attached to horse grenadiers as for horse grenadiers for 100 days what sets did you use for overcoats/surtouts? Thank you.best regards.

How about

Danish Infantry and Cavalry
Lithuanian Tartars
Bashkirs (cupids)

How about

Danish Infantry and Cavalry

Yes, so we can rebattle the Battle of Køge in 1807.

"The Battle of Køge was a battle on 29 August 1807 between British troops besieging Copenhagen and Danish militia raised on Sjælland. It ended in British victory and is also known as 'Træskoslaget' or 'the Clogs Battle', since many of the Danish militiamen threw their heavy wooden clogs away when they were fleeing."

Such exciting times! ;) :)

Yes I agree french line artilery in baradin regulation uniforms would be nice as well as to have Netherlands carbiniers&hussars and yes better quality of british kgl hussars. So we have still very long list to go.

Well excellent zvezda cuirassier set figures are 25.5 mm tall the most figures in 1/72 this days are 24-25 mm even some hats figures like excellent set 1805 french line infantry in greatcoats are 25 mm (which I can use them to covert a lot)which are taller then average hat 1/72 figure sets which are btw 23.5-24 mm. French guard horse grenadiers being heavy cavalry selected from the tallest available would be the best to have 26mm tall.then waterloo 1815 made french infantry in baradin uniforms 24.5.so for me as for line& light regiments 24-24.5 is the best i can live with 23.5 mm for line and light regiments but that is low as I can go but for guard and grenadiers and heavy cavalry 25-25.5 would be the best and for horse imperial guard 25-26 the best as well for some old guard grenadiers but like it was said what is available I will need to make many compromises.last bunch hat french set is far below measuring 22-22.5mm so I will use some to make smaller guys but what a disappointment from hat.the sets you mentioned I would buy all .

Didn't Waterloo do a box of "Highland Infantry In Square"?

Yes they did it is nice set but many soldiers are engaged in quarrel but not good enough for making basic square not good enough.

No mention has been made of Naval operatives.

Yes there was the HaT set with a few marines but it was over spread with gunners and sailors (no officers or petty officers). Amphibious operations were a specialty of the Royal Navy during this period.

This would be also of use for the American phase of the War of 1812 (post Invasion of Canada) as
amphibious were quite common. Imagine being able to model your own 'burning of the presidential palace in Washington'.

Like their land counterparts their uniforms changed during this period. Taking it a step further, you could also have American Marines ( green uniforms) to reenact Bernard Cornwell's 'the Fort'

However, you would need more Scots (without kilts this time) and that might upset those out there who object to Scots figures.

RCD
No mention has been made of Naval operatives.

Yes there was the HaT set with a few marines but it was over spread with gunners and sailors (no officers or petty officers). Amphibious operations were a specialty of the Royal Navy during this period.

This would be also of use for the American phase of the War of 1812 (post Invasion of Canada) as
amphibious were quite common. Imagine being able to model your own 'burning of the presidential palace in Washington'.

Like their land counterparts their uniforms changed during this period. Taking it a step further, you could also have American Marines ( green uniforms) to reenact Bernard Cornwell's 'the Fort'

However, you would need more Scots (without kilts this time) and that might upset those out there who object to Scots figures.
Forgot to mention with the American marines the 'extra figure' could be an English bull dog.

Highlanders (as opposed to Scots) in trews and Hummel bonnets would make a refreshing change, and would certainly add to the range.

What was never done before for napoleonic period? The carriage for Napoleon...

I still want to se Napoleon's carriage. Been waiting since 1977 when I got the Airfix Battle of Waterloo.

But Still, this carriage is missing...

https://www.napoleon.org/en/history-of-the-two-empires/articles/napoleons-military-carriage/

Pavol, your request for the helmeted gendarmes d'élite has been answered, from a different quarter.

http://historyin172.blogspot.com/2019/03/gendarmes-de-elite.html

Not plastic, but 1/72nd scale and always beautiful figures!

James