Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WWI French

That's true enough, but the French also equipped and outfitted a large number of allied armies both before and after WWI who usually did not wear the "capote" in action. So this set is effectively perfect for the post-1916 Serbian Army in summer campaign dress, and could work for the Yugoslav Army of 1941 if you ignore the finer points of uniform; the Greek Army of World War I and the Greek-Turkish War, right up to the Greek-Italian War and German invasion of Greece in 1941; the Polish Army of the Polish-Soviet or Polish-Ukrainian Wars, right up to reserve units of the 1939 campaign; the Romanian Army in 1916-18 or any of Romania's postwar conflicts, up to and including reserve units in Operation Barbarossa; or the Belgian Army after 1916 and in 1940. For the truly adventurous or those in love with alternative histories, these men could portray Turkish, Mexican, Peruvian, Brazilian or Siamese soldiers of the post-1925 era - heck, you can take those World War II FFL fighters and match them up against these guys to wargame the famous Franco-Thai War of 1940 (yes, that actually happened). In addition, while French metropolitan soldiers always wore the capote in combat in France, French colonial soldiers such as the North African tirailleurs often went without -- as did French colonial infantry during and after World War I in various conflicts in North Africa, Indochina and the Middle East.

thank you for this very complete answer. after some research, the French fought without a coat. the foreign legion in particular.

Great sculpting and poses. I hope the mould quality will do them justice.

I would also ad to already mentioned suggestions, that they could represent the U.S. Army's 93rd Division, as those were wearing French helmets and using French issued rifles and equipment.

French soldiers without coats are really rare as far as WWI photo material goes. Nonetheless, here are some pics (although none are in combat and some probably staged):

A big thank you to AP and Samogon for all that information and photos.

I was under the impression the French infantry wore their coats rolled over their shoulders (or probably not at all?) in 1918, so couldn't these figures depict those troops?

Did the chasseurs, or the Chasseurs Alpines, wear this or a rather similar uniform?

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/495747871479152249/

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/97/fa/8397fa6f73445a494de8af5cb3e56ed7.jpg

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/324470348144033479/

http://rekostwargames.blogspot.com/2017/06/french-mountain-troops-ses.html

Strelets seem to be on a Gallipoli roll, could Adrian wearing men serve there?

How about French in 1940?

Obiviously trying to find as many uses as possible for these fine figures! :smile:

I'm pretty sure that at least one formation of the International Brigade in the SCW arrived wearing French uniforms and equipment - possibly the contingent from the US.Perhaps another use.

Not sure about that Graham, they certainly often wore the Adrian and webbing / pouches, not sure about tunics, but I have yet to see more than the odd two or three images of SCW soldiers in puttees.

That's why I sincerely hope Strelets will do a set of Rif War Spanish infantry! :pray:

The masters look nice but there would be too many rifles and officers, a set of 12 figures should be enough to provide a proper mix to form platoon strength units which this sadly doesnt do...

Pics out of capote are usually not in attack... ie on the march resting,in the trenches on a quite sector etc... there is good reason for this..
Initially Serbs were provided with very little and certainly not capotes, but this changed when they went to the front, most pics again are training or resting posing etc trench pics show capotes, Rifles were Berthiers.

From a Previous Post with some modification:
"From: "Manuel du chef de section d'infanterie" January 1918 official.

Sergeant Rifle x3 (1 platoon and 2 section leaders)
corporal Rifle x4 ( half section leaders) semi auto Rifle RSC? usually given to the best shot.

A Platoon is 4 half sections as follows does not include above command:

X2

Infantry section with a minimum of 86 grenades more if thought necesary:
2 dedicated grenade throwers, Berthier carbines/daggers for close combat
4 Riflemen, Lebel or Berthier, daggers for close combat
2 extras if available

Automatics and VB grenade section:
Chauchat Gunner, pistol
Chauchat loader, pistol
Chauchat Ammo carrier, rifle
3 Rifle Grenadiers, Rifle with VB launchers.
2 extras if available chauchat gunner and Rifle grenadier or 2 ammo carriers
With a total of 54 VB grenades more if thought necesary and 1,160 DAM rounds for the Chauchats more if thought necesary.

platoon strength minimum 29 men total not including extras.

In addition Company Auto rifle Section: 4 Chauchat gunners plus loaders and ammo carriers can be used any way the commander (an Officer) sees fit..

The above figures are likely realistic since in theory the nominal full strength of a platoon should be around 40 men... something not really possible by this date."

Rifles standard Lebels and Berthier with 5 shot mag. carbine Berthiers or similar. The whole unit in theory uses the same ammo although Auto ammo is specially made for quality ie the DAM rounds but you could use any 8mm lebel but expect more jams.

Note there are no officers only NCOs except for the company command.

:wink: